Cadets 2006 Show – A Fresh Perspective

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeesh... go fast, turn left... most boring undertaking ever. :P

But I must disagree... drill wise, even last season, the Cadets don't ever amaze me... it seems like I'm the only one because there's always something amazing said about their drill, but I guess my view is that taking 64 brass players and sprinting them into a mosh bit inside a circle of ladders at high speed is just an end-all. I don't know, maybe I look at drill work wrong. But that, too me, is more amazing. When it comes to other things, well, I have to give the win to the corps that does the robot... if the Cadets did the moonwalk, I'd have their babies. :blink: :P

And the watching/learning thing was more of a show concept idea... you could watch both shows and in one see how many amazing drill moves you missed (Cavaliers) but in another examine more parts of the story being told (Cadets).

And I know all about The Cadets drum feature moves... I mean, the drum feature last season was one of my all time favorites... this season, Idunno, just no-so-much.

I disagree. Anyone can sit and watch The Cadets show and appreciate the complexity of the music and visual package. Even if the mics were turned off, you'd still see and hear great drum corps (as the original poster mentioned). You may miss some of the story line, but you can't question the skill level of the corps (the exception, for me, being the guard which seems much weaker than usual this year).

I whole-heartedly agree. A great, championship show should not need such a lengthy explanation for people to understand and enjoy it.

A common thought I hear from most Cadets supporters... they support what the Cadets do because the Cadets are 100% about change... the organization is like a spoiled kid in that it isn't good unless it's new. However, I think I can speak for a lot of drum corps fans when I say that I can still get excited from watching shows from the 70's that I've seen numerous time over... and I'm 18, and I know kids younger than me who can say the same. So obviously, the explosions are still awe-inspiring for most of us.

You missed my point - but thats ok. B)

No I didn't. You made the reference that all explosions are the same once you've see one... thus stating that shows like the Cavaliers or others that use drill work or other things of that nature to wow audiences get old, saying that a group like the Cadets that puts out so much stuff on the field at once is good because it's different... I disagree, stating that different, in this case, is bad.

No I didn't. You made the reference that all explosions are the same once you've see one... thus stating that shows like the Cavaliers or others that use drill work or other things of that nature to wow audiences get old, saying that a group like the Cadets that puts out so much stuff on the field at once is good because it's different... I disagree, stating that different, in this case, is bad.

Hint - when someone tells you that you aren't geting their point - you probably aren't getting their point.

I was referring to Cavaliers 2006 production (which I have not seen, only heard) and the fact that to me the music sounds very much like the music from 2001 until 2004. Had a "been-there, done-that" feel (to me). Then I saw the video clips on DCI.org - again, the drill - very similar moves to prior shows - again, (for me) a "been-there, done-that feel. I had the same "been there, done that" feel watching the Cadets during the 2003-2004 seasons.

So I was half right :P

But you don't get the same feeling watching The Zone: Part 2? :blink:

wow to say that the cadets are in the company of the cavaliers for having the best integrated shows the past two years is ignorant ...the whole reason the cadets won last year was because it was so different, many people would argue that it was a poorly designed show at best, with zero integration of the elements, just dripping with talent, ...

Right. And the GE judges from Indy through championship night were paid off, right? No corps gets GE numbers like that (with HUGE gaps from 1st to second) with "zero integration of the elements." Just because you can read a judges sheet doesn't give you permission to second-judge them. Your opinion, although within boundaries, is just stupid.

Poorly designed. Gawd, who are you?

Edited by OhioStateTad

Thanks, Marsha, for the fresh perspective. I'm certainly not for the amps, voices, props, etc, but it's nice to hear this kind of positive stuff. I think I'll reserve further judgement on this show for now and try to *appreciate* it.... :)

But on another note... with all this layering and whatnot... you compared drum corps shows to paintings, well, can I make another? I want to compare shows to movies... where we have the Cadets which are in the mind of Donnie Darko, A Clockwork Orange, Dancer in the Dark (obviously), etc., meaning that they are considered more artistic in that they make you think and can require a lot of viewings to see what all they have. Then we have say, the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers with their drill are like... Die Hard. Something explodes, we all go nuts.

Well, you compared The Cadets to Dancer in the Dark (golf clap); but then you forgot to link The Cavies to James Bond! :P Even so, a great post by the way.. I love it!!! I think I'm fired up to go blast some Cavies music now! :blink::lol: