An expert's thoughts on Cadets

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you post a private e-mail from a judge here? This will only hurt the judging community. If that person wanted to 'vent' their opinion online (I think that taperecorder gives them enough room to vent, but oh well) they should do it themselves. The mail was probably not meant as harming....but now you make it that. I would just remove it......

Edited by PeeJay

Why would you post a private e-mail from a judge here? This will only hurt the judging community. If that person wanted to 'vent' their opinion online (I think that taperecorder gives them enough room to vent, but oh well) they should do it themselves. The mail was probably not meant as harming....but now you make it that. I would just remove it......

Oops: a former judge. I thought I edited that in. Aside from that, I posted exerpts only. And how is this "harming?" Good Lord, from the venom I've read here so far, one would think they should be scoring in the 50's. After reading these thoughts from an objective voice, it puts my mind more at ease.

Oops: a former judge. I thought I edited that in. Aside from that, I posted exerpts only. And how is this "harming?" Good Lord, from the venom I've read here so far, one would think they should be scoring in the 50's. After reading these thoughts from an objective voice, it puts my mind more at ease.

It's good that you added that. For many people that makes a huge difference. You don't want to know how people think of the judging community as a whole just based on posts like these. I understand many people don't see the harm. People think judges should be 'human' when they judge their favorite corps and to be 'professional' when they judge the competitor. That's just how it goes.

As for the venom on this board. I agree. But these people have no influence on the scoring process (thank god) right?

Trust me, being a judge is tougher than you think, also outside a contest.

The staging is good and never a problem but the horns do stand STILL (I can hear the cries now) while the guard does its great material.

As a member of the 2005 Cadets and a Member that was injured during the 2006 season I can assure you this is not the case. In 2005 we never stopped moving, it was the hardest show I ever marched. This years show is just as tough. Not so much in the tempo's but in all the individual responsibilities they are being asked to perform. While they are Still for some of the drum solo right now, be rest assured that it will change. I've been told what they are going to add, and let me tell you it has never been done in a drum corps show before, and it will be absolutely incredible. Anyways the cadets always move on the field and don't think that its any different this year.

Cadets 05

06 - Injured

07- hopefully I'm healed

The staging is good and never a problem but the horns do stand STILL (I can hear the cries now) while the guard does its great material.

no "expert" would write something that INCORRECT - Cadets brass has the greatest visual demands placed on it in this program that I've seen in eons. None of the other programs I've seen thus far this season remotely come close to the visual demands placed on the Cadets' brass.

I'm calling "uncle" on this entire thread. :blink:

Are "experts" (as in the thread subtitle) more expert at understanding shows than mere corps fans, or are they just better trained to respond with commentary and a score? I'm not challenging anyone on this, I'm just curious what most fans believe.

Are "experts" (as in the thread subtitle) more expert at understanding shows than mere corps fans, or are they just better trained to respond with commentary and a score? I'm not challenging anyone on this, I'm just curious what most fans believe.

A judge or former judge can tell better than me if the corps is technically better, but only I can tell what I like. I can like a show better than any other, even if it is technically inferior. A Rap fan might love the addition of rap (or the drumspeak) in a show - personally I don't like it.