• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm I dont know. I was not a big fan of anyone in 92 except Cavies

Now 93 was awesome, so was 95, and 97.....but I would have to say the best all around season for me (as a spectator) was 2003. Great corps with great shows.

You really think 93 was awesome? I remember that year as kind of a bummer...not to mention rain at finals making flat shows flatter.

top 3 were great that year though

Phantom had an awesome night with an awesome show

Star and Cadets were great all year

Edited by JMS0527

96 and 00 were my favorite 2 years lately.

Cheers, :lol:

Sean

w/Stp:

I'm listening to the audio tracks from 1992 finals on Season Pass, and I just needed to post. Was that the best year of drum corps ever?

Cavaliers - beautiful Peterloo Overture

Cadets - playing Holsinger to Tame the Perilous Skies

Star - everyone wanted to see them get beat, including me

Blue Devils - belting out When a Man Loves a Woman after taking off their jackets (and their guard in red spandex)

Madison Scouts - powerful brass and percussion, City of Angels

Crossmen - Songs for the Planet Earth, awesome music

Santa Clara - Fiddler on the Roof * the bottle dance

Phantom - classic white, costuming, 1812 Overture

Blue Knights - playing Copland

Velvet Knights - Magical Mystery Tour, how funny were they - but they could actually play and march too.

I went back and started listening to the old stuff because sometimes in this new world of B flat horns, amps, strange shows with doors at obnoxious characters, you just need to go back and listen to the "good" stuff. Anyone with me?

Everyone is going to have their personal favorite years, but for me it was '87 or '88...I thought both years were chocked with entertaining shows from top to bottom.

DW

... and really never "liked" cavaliers 92 until semis when they upended star - they all suddenly ran to the cavaliers souvie booth to pick up t-shirts (finals night half the crowd seemed to have never worn before cavalier gear on) and suddenly next night were the corps biggest fans ever - clapping them on and off the field, cheering when star was announced in 3rd - etc... I haven't seen such behavior since middle school

A-friggin'-MEN. It was the first time I really paid heed to fair-weathers. I always thought that Cavies got lucky-- not because Star marched horribly on Saturday (look at the last company front. HOW does anyone get out of step at that point?!?!?) Cadets lost all steam in the hornline (performance--not effect) which led the way for Cavies. The flock to BD '94 was very similar as was, I think, Cadets last year (but their souvie stand is always crowded!). I think 1999 was a huge exception w/ SCV having to make up almost a point to win. The crowd was clearly on their side.

All in all, 1992 was a very "crisp" year with a pretty solid top 6. Star stumbled, Cadets found life and Cavies won primarily because the other two had obstacles. I'd vote it #2 to my favorite year: 1985. From Freelancers' "Bells" to Cadets' "Jeremiah," that was top-notch!

In my opinion, you cannot beat 88-93 with the pinnacle being 91-92

Star got booed by midwest corps "fans" (scout fans, cavalier fans) - they were sick of watching star beat their corps - booed them silly and really never "liked" cavaliers 92 until semis when they upended star - they all suddenly ran to the cavaliers souvie booth to pick up t-shirts (finals night half the crowd seemed to have never worn before cavalier gear on) and suddenly next night were the corps biggest fans ever - clapping them on and off the field, cheering when star was announced in 3rd - etc... I haven't seen such behavior since middle school

To this day I can't watch Scouts without thinking about their fans behavior during this era

This has to be one of the silliest posts I've ever read. Each corps has thousands of fans. What percentage of them acted this way? 5%? 10%? Can you really say for sure? I went to several shows in 92 and never observed this behavior. I'm sure Cavies had some bandwagoneers, it was their first DCI title! Most people I talked to just thought Star's show was too cheesy. I'm no big Cavalier fan, but I liked them much better than Star in 92. In any case, I wouldn't make generalizations about any corps fan base and I certainly wouldn't hold it against the corps. I got rid of that baggage about a year after I aged out.