Clip of the talking feature of the Cadets show

I'm pretty sure I can post this...this is a minute or so of the middle of the Cadets 2006 Talking Feature:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QPMry7M7SH8&amp...h=Cadets%202006

Man, can those guard members talk! Especially when that one said, "But where are we!?" Holy crap you should have seen the audience reaction to that one...it was of Madison 1995 proportions! Everyone on their feet, standing O...it's moments like this that make me love drum corps, you know? Gotta love that precision and artistry displayed there. Such balance and intonation. Supposedly 20 different guard members tried out for that line but this one got it...talk about a nervewracking audition. Hope she doesn't mess up finals night!

Seriously, this could be the best talking section the Cadets have had since...since...oh wait. And the talking feature definitely rivals ones from classic shows in DCI history such as, uhh...

Who is their talking caption head this year anyway? Either way, it's amazing. Nothing like some words spoken into a microphone to blow me back into my seat!

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was funny. i love the sarcasm.

Now, that whole section that was posted (the percussion feature with the talking) would have been JUST as good, if not better, sans talking. It just made it seem cheesy. I am all for amping the PIT percussion, and I would even like to see the use of some electronics in the PIT to create some interesting sounds and effects, but cut out the talking, unless it totally fits and compliments the music. That talking in between the drum licks just seemed, well, lame.

That was funny. i love the sarcasm.

Now, that whole section that was posted (the percussion feature with the talking) would have been JUST as good, if not better, sans talking. It just made it seem cheesy. I am all for amping the PIT percussion, and I would even like to see the use of some electronics in the PIT to create some interesting sounds and effects, but cut out the talking, unless it totally fits and compliments the music. That talking in between the drum licks just seemed, well, lame.

Such common sense. I have no idea how anyone could think the talking improves the show in anyway. It is cheesy. Imagine characters spouting off, "Let's go milk the cows!" in the '87 show. How about "Flight 382 cleared for landing!!!" in the '92 show. Or maybe, "Man, I feel soooo lonely!!!" during the ballad of the '91 show. BLARING over a microphone. Ugh. It would totally destroy these great shows. They wouldn't be classics like they are now, just jokes. Kind of like this year's show.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I have and I know the original poster has.

Well, if I had that vantage point, I'd hope the ticket was free. Plus, you're picking and choosing your point of argument from a very small context. The crowd seems to get a bit gaga over the drums, which I think is thge point of that section --- that we've seen for HOWWWWWW many years? C'mon, Cadets! "INNOVATION" does not mean doing the same thing year after year after year after........

DCI Rules Congress is like the US Congress: you give them an inch, and they'll steal your mile. Amplification was originally meant to cut out the percussion people's incessant whining over "not being heard in the pit." And the rule wasn't clear about what it's become. MAN< those drum people always seem to get their way (like the 9th judge).

(Personally, I don't care for microphones, for the record.)

Such common sense. I have no idea how anyone could think the talking improves the show in anyway. It is cheesy. Imagine characters spouting off, "Let's go milk the cows!" in the '87 show. How about "Flight 382 cleared for landing!!!" in the '92 show. Or maybe, "Man, I feel soooo lonely!!!" during the ballad of the '91 show. BLARING over a microphone. Ugh. It would totally destroy these great shows. They wouldn't be classics like they are now, just jokes. Kind of like this year's show.

Absolutely correct! I could not possibly agree more! Down with naration and talking of any kind during a performance! UGH!

Hmmm...I'm not a huge fan of the talking and such...I think it's sort of distracting to tell you the truth. But man...that stick throw is crazy!