We' re looking at having it at Long Beach City College this year, but due to conflicts at the school, we use Torrance HS.

But next year LBCC is our 1st choice... Large Stage... etc, etc....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great meeting you Cozy...your enthusiasm makes Charlie Groh look like a zombie by comparison! (Side note--I think I'll pay for that comment). Anyway...so the question du jour of the moment right now out here in southern California is this...

What the #### is up with your glasses?? Please explain yourself. IMMEDIATELY. Because it's hip in a sort of disturbing yet entertaining yet endearing way. We're not sure if you're part cyborg or someone glued something to your frames.

??? My glasses? From my viewpoint right now Looking Through the Looking Glass, the Mad Hatter smirks that these appear quite normal. So, Ryan, I bug you -- What's so different about my glasses? What kinda health food are you Cali folks on anyway?

Cyborg? I've never been accused of that.

It sure helped at meeting points. I just told folks to look for the glasses. At the Kanstul factory, some remembered me, even commented on adding the glasses.

Actually, during the SoCal and NoCal portions of the trip, far fewer folks asked about my glasses than in any other part of the country. Makes me recall the 70s when I hitch-hiked on Sunset Strip and was picked up by two chicks in a VW bug knee-deep in styrofoam packing beads. True story, mostly off-the-record.

On this trip, I definitely enjoyed chatting with Rhonda, Tiffany, Robin, Lani, Thu, Lesa, Kelley, Tiffany, Carol, Sara, lots of lovely wives and so many others -- All memorable without squeaky beads.

??? My glasses? From my viewpoint right now Looking Through the Looking Glass, the Mad Hatter smirks that these appear quite normal. So, Ryan, I bug you -- What's so different about my glasses? What kinda health food are you Cali folks on anyway?

Cyborg? I've never been accused of that.

It sure helped at meeting points. I just told folks to look for the glasses. At the Kanstul factory, some remembered me, even commented on adding the glasses.

Actually, during the SoCal and NoCal portions of the trip, far fewer folks asked about my glasses than in any other part of the country. Makes me recall the 70s when I hitch-hiked on Sunset Strip and was picked up by two chicks in a VW bug knee-deep in styrofoam packing beads. True story, mostly off-the-record.

On this trip, I definitely enjoyed chatting with Rhonda, Tiffany, Robin, Lani, Thu, Lesa, Kelley, Tiffany, Carol, Sara, lots of lovely wives and so many others -- All memorable without squeaky beads.

Cozy, it was good having you out here again. Play LOUD. ^0^

I LOVE the glasses...most unique...don't get me wrong! :-)

Cozy, it was good having you out here again. Play LOUD. ^0^
I LOVE the glasses...most unique...don't get me wrong! :-)

Lee,

'Twas fun to don black again and play with y'all at the superbly-hosted LMS L.A. at Torrance HS. Seth, Thom, Darkman, et al. from SoCal Dream did a phenomenal job along with Lisa, Robin, Lee, Greg, Chris, Mac, and many more of the Renegades. LMS 7-1/2, July 7, Doc Severinsen's birthday, topped LMS 7, April 30.

Ryan,

If you knew me better, you'd rib me back. I just like the glasses. B) Had no idea it would create so many comments. I'm kinda hard to keep crammed into a Jack-in-the-box. Others know that, and they don't all wear pants. It was a hoot on this Cali trip to put familiar and new names with faces.

Charlie Groh -- I fully intended to chat with him, even interview briefly, but he never stood still -- Bundle of energy. By the time I could get to his spot, he was elsewhere. My only times around him, subjects such as where to put the 50 (weird but true) and my early rants about the baseball PA system were more important. I should have spent more time with Charlie when he and I chatted before LMS L.A.

btw, who was the Renegades rookie who was struck by the foul ball?

Edited by CozyChopsCom

Anyway, not to be too biased, but might I suggest my high school auditorium? Excelsior in Norwalk is right off the 91 and has a huge stage. I think it was just a few feet short of Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in LA. A mini corps could almost do some drill on it. It also seats like 3018 people. At least that's what I think I read from the seating chart when I went there. There's also plenty of parking across Alondra from the school, and plenty of spaces around the campus for warm-ups,etc. just like at THS.

Phil

I know you probably know it...but just information...Excelsior is no more. I'm sure the auditorium still exists, but I don't know who owns that property. The last time I drove by it about a year ago, there were a bunch of signs all over like the school buildings had been divided and subletted. So--not even sure who has "jurisdiction" over the auditorium. But LBCC is very nice. Another VERY nice "city college" venue is Pasadena City College. BEAUTIFUL auditorium, great parking, great music department, ex VK-SCV drum god is the band director...heck...we can't go wrong.

IF IT WAS FREE!!!

We' re looking at having it at Long Beach City College this year, but due to conflicts at the school, we use Torrance HS.

But next year LBCC is our 1st choice... Large Stage... etc, etc....

Mokay......I've performed on that stage, but can't remember if it's as big as Excelsior or not. You might wanna look into that too as a 2nd,eh? Tell em an Excelsior alum sentcha!

or something.......

PHil

I know you probably know it...but just information...Excelsior is no more. I'm sure the auditorium still exists, but I don't know who owns that property. The last time I drove by it about a year ago, there were a bunch of signs all over like the school buildings had been divided and subletted. So--not even sure who has "jurisdiction" over the auditorium. But LBCC is very nice. Another VERY nice "city college" venue is Pasadena City College. BEAUTIFUL auditorium, great parking, great music department, ex VK-SCV drum god is the band director...heck...we can't go wrong.

IF IT WAS FREE!!!

Excelsior has been "no more" as a high school true since 1981, BUT the Norwalk-La Mirada school district still owns it. There are many events held both at the auditorium, the gym and the stadium. Also, Cerritos college holds adult classes there in the Admin and English buildings last time I was there. There is also a huge alumni association who have been working on restoring much of the campus with a goal in mind to have it re-opened someday as a high school. They are taking donations for the auditorium too having alumni buy a seat having their names and class year on a little plaque on each seat,etc. Still, it's in good shape to hold something as far as I could see/tell recently when I was there.

The school district made bank too starting in 1979 as it was the filming venue for "Grease II", and TV shows like "Square Pegs" in the 80's. Huge seating capacity and a large parking lot across the street. (Where we in the band practiced parade,heh)

PS..of course nothing wrong with "FREE", heh. Also, "Dazed and Confused" was on TV yesterday. Memories of certain factions at Excelsior in 1976 everytime I see that movie. Well, plus other factions involved with LBJCB back then too, heh.

Edited by PaNors77

Hey Cozy! It was such a pleasure to see you again and have you be a part of the corps...way cool! It still would be great to have that long,lost drink with you and tell "war stories!" Hope to see you soon again! Kelley

btw, who was the Renegades rookie who was struck by the foul ball?

that was our new soprano player Rick ... he has only been with the corps for like 2 or 3 weeks and get hit in the mouth with a foul ball from a baseball game just before we go on the field in Bellflower on Sunday. ( not to mention the kid from the baseball team that came and got the ball back was a total jerk off to us and trust me if that kid would have been over 18 I dont think he would have made it back to the game or been able to play the rest of his baseball season with how he treated our member that got hit