-- Indianapolis Scores --

I heard the Blue Stars' narration in Dubuque. I was ready to puke. No offense, but If I wanted to hear that kind of garbage, I'd listen to someone speak about freedom who actually knew what they were talking about. Not some high school student speaking in generations and overused phases. Blue Stars, please ditch the narration. You have a great show, don't dumb it down this way.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I took a quick run over the the Blue Stars' forum and found out a little bit about the narration and where it's from.

The show concept is based on some Norman Rockwell pictures that were sent around the country to sell war bonds during WWII.. apparently the narration is part of a speech given by FDR. It's been planned since the beginning and I suppose I can respect that, even if I'm not too sure about it.

Here's the thing: I think the show conveys the freedoms outlined in the speech pretty clearly. I consider myself a pretty savvy spectator.. and mildly intelligent.. so even the first time I saw the show, I "got" the freedoms and how they were being expressed.

I said this on the BS Forum and I'll say it here. I sometimes find narration intrusive. I think in this case, it would be (especially since I saw the show without it first). I liken it to sitting in a movie theater and having somebody give me a running commentary about what things mean and why they are shown the way they are.. at some point, I'm going to lean over and say, "Look, I get it. Let me watch it and I'll draw my own conclusions."

It doesn't matter if I don't get the exact intent of the designers. What matters is that what I see has an impact on me personally -- and it does. And if something I see or hear gets interpreted one way.. then the narration says it's supposed to mean something else, I'm disappointed. Or if the narration says, "here's what this is supposed to mean" then I never get my own interpretation at all because I'm already set up to see what they want.

I don't know.. I haven't seen it with the narration and I don't want to completely discount it (just like I ended up liking BD last year).. but my experience with narrators (Boston's "colors" and Cascades' flying show) is that I would rather draw my own conclusion.

Stef

I heard the Blue Stars' narration in Dubuque. I was ready to puke. No offense, but If I wanted to hear that kind of garbage, I'd listen to someone speak about freedom who actually knew what they were talking about. Not some high school student speaking in generations and overused phases. Blue Stars, please ditch the narration. You have a great show, don't dumb it down this way.

I saw them in Dubuque, too.

Usually, I am pro-amp and pro-narration. (ha! I just outed myself.)

But the Blue Stars narration made me feel like they think I'm too dumb to figure the show out on my own. They NEED to tweak the script.

They NEED to tweak the script.

The "script" is actually excerpts from a speech given by FDR early in WWII -- and it ties in to the Rockwell pictures that the show is kind of based on. I'm not sure "tweaking" a historic speech used in excerpt is really "okay" -- I think I'd rather they just eliminated it -- or used it in the spiel sheet given to the announcer at the beginning of the show -- than alter the speech itself.

Stef

To me, the narration changes a lovable Americana show into a campy Americana show. It's not just an "anti-amp" issue - I found myself really liking Crossmen's radio segment, but the Blue Stars' show - no narration necessary.

Edited by Cody

Well, I took a quick run over the the Blue Stars' forum and found out a little bit about the narration and where it's from.

... apparently the narration is part of a speech given by FDR.

No surprise that the narration originated from a politician. That explains why it comes across as empty and boring.

I'm reading the source material right now...http://www.libertynet.org/edcivic/fdr.html. Here are the four freedom outlined towards the end of the speech:

"In the future days which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms. The first is freedom of speech and expression --everywhere in the world.

The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way-- everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want, which, translated into world terms, means economic understandings which will secure to every nation a healthy peacetime life for its inhabitants --everywhere in the world.

The fourth is freedom from fear, which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression against any neighbor --anywhere in the world."

What song was used by the Blue Stars to represent the fourth freedom? I believe it was America The Beautiful, but even with the narration, I guess I don't get it.

Edited by QuentinTarantino

So FDR was an idiot?

1 Blue Devils 17.5

2 Cavaliers 17.0

3 Carolina Crown 16.7

4 Bluecoats 16.5

5 Cadets 16.3

6 Glassmen 16.2

Wow....so many good guards....Glassmen and Crown must have generated some mean talent this year (meaning they must be getting their butts whooped) . I think this is the third year Crown's guard has been on the rise....amazing.