Indianapolis IN review

Prejudice, schmejudice- I thought it was funny, and so did all the people sitting around me. :)

Plus, there was a BIG thread last season called "What should we yell when she rings the doorbell?" that plenty of people had a laugh about, and on top of that, there were plenty of people mirroring the "Don't do it!" yells that started cropping up in last season's show as well. I don't recall seeing you complain much about that, George.

IMO it is terribly rude to yell stuff like that during any corps show. THEY are the show...not you. I am pretty surprised that you would attempt to ruin the enjoyment others might get from a corps performance....it seems to be beneath what I thought about you prior to this.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I made sure that I was only loud enough to travel about 5 rows, because you're right- I'm NOT about ruining a corps' performance with my own commentary during a show (but if I get to see Phantom do a victory concert this summer, I reserve the right to yell out "Judges, are you watching!" at the appropriate spot in New World B))

Secondly, tell that to all their staff people yelling out "Don't do it!"- I could hear THEM all the way from the top of the house.

Edited by Galen

My perspective, relatively corps independant since I don't recognize many of the corps with all of their new uniforms. NOTE: Haven't really seen a DCI show since 2002, and rarely stay for entire shows.

I don't know what determined the show lineup. That being said, it was odd to see Pioneer (4 contras) follow Blue Stars (12 contras) in the evening show.

The dome is a unique environment, things get muddled quite a bit with the strange echos. That being said, some of the A&E moments, while not revolting as some reviews had indicated, where comparable to the stadium making announcements in the middle of the corps performance. Which might have happened, I wasn't able to make a distinction(as to rude announcement, or part of the show) from the lower tier, near the outer goal line, in this dome environment.

Southwinds hats were odd. And I didn't recognize them as southwind without asking someone else which corps this was. I think I liked the yellow uniforms better. And this from someone who lived in Kentucky almost four years.

Crossmen wore almost all black uniforms. A trend which was virtually abandoned in my junior years because the judges were not giving credit for good marching with that color combination. I probably wouldn't have recognized them as the crossmen if the guard wasn't wearing uniforms with a big cross on them.

I left during intermission. Two of the corps that have members with a small sponsorship from me this season, were not at this show so I didn't feel compelled to stay. And it was a long walk back to the busses designated parking zone.

It was nice that this venue now allows passouts, meaning you could go in and out of the stadium. The smokers seemed to enjoy this feature a lot. Back in 2002 when I was last at this stadium the ticket nazi's were very insistent of not allowing passouts, without the purchase of another ticket to get back in. However parking was not idea, the area where the corps parked in 2002 was now a partially erected stadium. Which I assume is where the new dome is gonna be.

Across the street from the stadium was a baseball stadium that was having a game at the same time as the evening show. Which might have accounted for some of the parking woes. It would have been nice if you could enter by a gate other than gate 1, especially if your designated parking put you at gate 4 on the other side of the stadium. I probably could have seen one more corps if I had been able to enter at gate 4 instead of entering at gate 1 and coming back to gate 4 to get a seat in the stadium. I know not much of a review, but just my take on some things.

Firstly, I made sure that I was only loud enough to travel about 5 rows, because you're right- I'm NOT about ruining a corps' performance with my own commentary during a show (but if I get to see Phantom do a victory concert this summer, I reserve the right to yell out "Judges, are you watching!" at the appropriate spot in New World B))

So it's OK to ruin 5-rows worth of fan enjoyment?

Secondly, tell that to all their staff people yelling out "Don't do it!"- I could hear THEM all the way from the top of the house.

That's just as bad.

I sat right next to every corps' staff. And every corps' staff yelled out during the shows, always in excitement and encouragement. I do seem to recall hearing a "don't do it", but IIRC it came from somewhere in front of me.

I thought it was funny. If the staff did it then it was obviously intended to be part of the show. What's wrong with that? It's not like the music was interrupted or anything.

What? I am referring to Matt (Galen), an audience member, deciding that he should ruin the enjoyment of those sitting around him by yelling some "funny" comment during a corps performance.

So it's OK to ruin 5-rows worth of fan enjoyment?

Seeing as I didn't have anything thrown at me, wasn't asked to leave the stadium by security or Hoppy himself, and the fact that some people around me laughed right along with me, I'd say that no harm was done.

Bottom line, nobody's enjoyment was ruined- it was ENHANCED.

Edited by Galen

I prepared myself for the worst with the original warning about the review. However, I did think it was quite good b/c Matt called it how he saw it. It doesn't bother me because he's one guy. I do think some of the remarks in the review should've been worded differently, but whatever. Either way, Matt's entitled to his opinion and that I respect.

What I don't like is how he seemed to try to push his opinion on people at the show. This may not have been what you were trying to do, but it's how I (key word I) took it. Yelling "On the football field!" is funny, but it seems like it was yelled more out of dislike for that part of the show than for humor. I would hope that anyone sitting and enjoying the show would have the respect to not yell that. Plus, the pizza comment was way over the top. I agree that yelling during the show can be fine, like the doorbell last year. It actually was a huge hype and we loved it. However, the stuff like above just APPEARS to be extremely rude, even if that's not how it was intended.

With that said, I'm fine with people leaving to get a hot dog or whatever during the show. They decided that they didn't want to see it for whatever reason and that's fine. It gets on my nerves to hear of the many fans that trash other corps to fans they are sitting next to. I know I haven't watched a show in a long time, but I've heard from many people about how fans will bad mouth corps to random fans sitting next to them. I would hope that any fan would NEVER do that, especially a Cadets fan. Anyways, the stuff that was said during the show at Indy seemed like it was definetly along those lines.

Yelling "On the football field!" is funny, but it seems like it was yelled more out of dislike for that part of the show than for humor.

Just to clarify, THAT was not yelled, because I KNEW that that would #### people off.