Indianapolis IN review

For the people who were at the show:

Does anyone know what the deal was with that guy near the front of the crowd waving the British flag before and after the Glassmen show? I had no idea what their show was going to be beforehand and because of that flag I thought they'd be playing British music and so did people sitting near me. Anyway, their silent drill with the rifle toss and then the horn entrance exactly when the toss was caught was the most memorable part of the whole evening for me (except for marching in the Minnesota Brass show of course).

Can't remember his name, but he's been a long-time fixture with the corps, and he does that before every show.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember his name, but he's been a long-time fixture with the corps, and he does that before every show.

Vivian Whittaker. He's a drum corps fan from the UK, and his daughter marched mello in the Glassmen in '98. Every summer he comes over to the US, drives the box truck that tows the souvie trailer, and waves a British flag and cheers at the start of every Glassmen show. #### of a guy.

Bottom line...it's not anyone in the stands job to play "show enhancer"...and just because others were not rude back at you in no way means that you didnt' ruin the "moment" for them. You have no way of knowing what reaction you had.

I am sorry, Mat, but IMO it is never appropriate for an audience member to be part of the show. That some people laughed means that you did indeed ruin the mood being set by the corps on the field in a way they did not intend.

The same way the folks onthe field, with the microphones ruin the mood thats supposed to be set by the corps.

I hear hundreds of things yelled out at every show. Its hardly the sin breaker that you and the rest of the "borg" are making it out to be.

~G~

I'll start with the corps that performed in the morning event but did not advance to the evening show.

Thanks for remembering us little guys B)

The same way the folks onthe field, with the microphones ruin the mood thats supposed to be set by the corps.

The difference is that those with miccs are indeed "the corps". They set the mood...not ruin it. Micced vocals are part of the show; someone in the stands yelling something rude is not.

I hear hundreds of things yelled out at every show. Its hardly the sin breaker that you and the rest of the "borg" are making it out to be.

I was talking to one who said he yelled out some comment..I would say the same to anyone who did such a thing. IMO it is NEVER ok for an audience member to become "part of the show" so to speak and impact the mood the corps is setting to those in earshot.

"Borg"?

I prepared myself for the worst with the original warning about the review. However, I did think it was quite good b/c Matt called it how he saw it. It doesn't bother me because he's one guy. I do think some of the remarks in the review should've been worded differently, but whatever. Either way, Matt's entitled to his opinion and that I respect.

What I don't like is how he seemed to try to push his opinion on people at the show. This may not have been what you were trying to do, but it's how I (key word I) took it. Yelling "On the football field!" is funny, but it seems like it was yelled more out of dislike for that part of the show than for humor. I would hope that anyone sitting and enjoying the show would have the respect to not yell that. Plus, the pizza comment was way over the top. I agree that yelling during the show can be fine, like the doorbell last year. It actually was a huge hype and we loved it. However, the stuff like above just APPEARS to be extremely rude, even if that's not how it was intended.

With that said, I'm fine with people leaving to get a hot dog or whatever during the show. They decided that they didn't want to see it for whatever reason and that's fine. It gets on my nerves to hear of the many fans that trash other corps to fans they are sitting next to. I know I haven't watched a show in a long time, but I've heard from many people about how fans will bad mouth corps to random fans sitting next to them. I would hope that any fan would NEVER do that, especially a Cadets fan. Anyways, the stuff that was said during the show at Indy seemed like it was definetly along those lines.

I think all this about what is or isnt said during a performance is wildly overblown. LOTS of stuff is said/shouted/remarked during a drum corps show. Some of you evidently only want preapproved expressions of admiration to be allowed. Grow a thicker skin, what this is about is you dont appreciate the negativity about Cadets show concept. Well sorry folks, this may just be dawning on you, but Hopkins and the ideas he's brought to DCI are controversial. And fans have been expressiing displeasure with controversial shows all the way back to the Circus Show and Alice in Wonderland Show of Cavies and Madison in 1971. Until someone markets a t-shirt that says Cadets are killing drum corps, you shouldnt get too upset. Because unlike Cavies and Madison in 1971, Cadets are winning championships with their controversial subject. Winning is the best revenge to paraphrase.

I think all this about what is or isnt said during a performance is wildly overblown. LOTS of stuff is said/shouted/remarked during a drum corps show.

My comments to Matt are not about saying stuff the corps will hear...it's saying stuff that those listening around him can hear...it detracts from the mood the corps is setting for audience members in earshot...nothing at all to do with the members in my case.

Grow a thicker skin, what this is about is you dont appreciate the negativity about Cadets show concept. Well sorry folks, this may just be dawning on you, but Hopkins and the ideas he's brought to DCI are controversial.

Did you read the part where I'm fine about negativity towards The Cadets? I could care less if someone doesn't like The Cadets show. What I don't like is when they disrupt the opinion of those watching the show. I would never yell something like "Time to get a hot dog!" during any corps show. Again Matt, not trying to say you did that or anything. That's just an exageration of how it appeared from my point of view.

HMMM. I don't recall anyone in the Cadet borg complaining last year when a huge chunk of the audience yelled "NO!!!" instead of yes when the Blue Devils announcer asked "Audience, are you ready?" at the end of the show. OR - anyone from same said borg complaining when in 1996 the audience yelled "Beef!" at the end of the Rodeo section of the Cadets show. I guess audience participation/enhancement is ok only if its approved by the borg...

Harvey

Good job Matt! Thanks for taking the time to post the Indy review.

BackBeat

Nice review of the show. I saw Cadets at Indy and then in Rockford. There's alot of talent on the field , however the show is tooooooo busy and appears disjointed.

Can anyone tell me why they are jumping off the tables?????