Sprained ankle, What Can I Do?

I am trying to find a polite way to say "just deal" lol, but in 2001, I sprained my ankle at rehearsal before the show. Two guys had to carry me to the field for the run-through.

I did the run-through and I did the show. Why? Adrenaline just totally took over and it didn't hurt again until AFTER the show!

I went to the emergency room Sunday night when I got home from Brigs. When he asked how I did it I gave the "I do this thing called drum corps - you probably don't know what it is, blah, blah" answer.

He said "I know exactly what it is, I do some work for the Cadets. I was at DCI last week!" I said "Did you see the senior corps that did the exhibition before?" He said "yes, the Brigadiers". I said "I'M IN THAT AND THAT'S HOW THIS HAPPENED!"

He told me it was way too swollen to put a cast on it or anything, and he knows us drum corps people - we're gonna march anyway even if he tells us not to!

Take everyone's advice about ice, ibuprofen, rest, etc. At least you have a week before you march on it. I had a few hours!

You'll be fine - hang in there!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, All,

Well, I knew those stupid stairs were going to get me eventually. This morning, I missed the last two or three stair steps and came down hard on my ankle. It is slightly swollen but doesn't look too bad, yet. But I can barely put my wait on it and it hurts like crazy. I'm concerned about it not healing by this weekend's rehearsal and competition. What can I do to speed recovery process?

Thanks, Elizabeth

A bucket of ice and water, in and out....suck it up and march!!!

Thanks for the advice, everyone and..Well, umm, uhh..in addition to Drum Corps., I also do this thing called work. I stayed off of it as much as I could yesturday, but I had to work all day,today, which meant 8 hours of standing on it. It's still slightly swollen and very sore, but there is only a bit of faint redness in it. My manager has had several sprains from sports and said that limping is the worst I can do on it. He says I need to walk on it as much as possible to get the muscles loosened. He told me it would help my ankle heal faster. Is this true or is he crazy? I'm going to march this weekend, but I don't want to lose it during the show. I'm annoyed. This killed my trying to keep indurance for this weekend. Especially since the injury wasn't even marching related!!! Adrenaline had better kick in.

See some of you at Clifton,

Elizabeth

Edited by Eaglesong

If you have access to a pool or large tub, letting it float around seems to help it feel better. I'm not sure if it does anything to help healing. But it might help you sleep better which helps healing.

I hate to say this, Elizabeth, but you might be better off just writing off this season - when I first joined the Kilties in early spring of 1970 I had a broken ankle and a cast on my right foot for over a month but eventually it healed and got the cast off and ended up marching the full season including all the P-rades.

Today's drum corps is far more athletic and fast and requires more physicality than in my day, but rather than be tough and gut it out, it might be better to simply "heal thyself" and accept the fact that this season could be a write-off for you.

Hard to accept, I know, but it might be for the best and hopefully you can come back next year!

Thanks for the advice, everyone and..Well, umm, uhh..in addition to Drum Corps., I also do this thing called work. I stayed off of it as much as I could yesturday, but I had to work all day,today, which meant 8 hours of standing on it. It's still slightly swollen and very sore, but there is only a bit of faint redness in it. My manager has had several sprains from sports and said that limping is the worst I can do on it. He says I need to walk on it as much as possible to get the muscles loosened. He told me it would help my ankle heal faster. Is this true or is he crazy? I'm going to march this weekend, but I don't want to lose it during the show. I'm annoyed. This killed my trying to keep indurance for this weekend. Especially since the injury wasn't even marching related!!! Adrenaline had better kick in.

Elizabeth

the adrenaline should kick in. between that and thinking of the show your mind is off the pain. i've twisted knees and ankles between marching band while i was in highschool, and a few times in drum corps, untill you finish the show you don't noticeit. i've twisted my ankle in shows and didn't know it till i got off the field.

but things happen use your judgement you should be ok for this weekend. but if you don't think you can do it there is no shame in sittin gone show out or seeing if you can play your music from the sideline and getting back into the drill the following week. speedy recovery to you.

I had some problems a few years ago when I was with CRU... I told some people that I may sit down once in a while due to the problem. I was also suppose to take medication but waited til after the show when the bus started the trek back to NY. I did suck it up! I was only kidding about that for you...I sprained my ankle playing basketball against some Buffalo Bills (Let me add that I knocked Shane Conlan on his butt). My friend got a bucket put water and ice in it and made me do 10 in/10 out for as long as possible. I then marched a Steve Brubaker drill in 1990.

I also have this sock-thing that someone on Brigs' staff went out and got me to wear for the show. It worked. It's tight as ####, but it does keep it in place.

I am sure you could get one at any drug store, but if you need mine, PM me with where you are practicing Sat. and since I live in NJ (about 15 mins from the stadium) I could probably get it to you.

Elizabeth

My manager has had several sprains from sports and said that limping is the worst I can do on it. He says I need to walk on it as much as possible to get the muscles loosened. He told me it would help my ankle heal faster. Is this true or is he crazy

He is crazy and wrong.

A sprain is an overstretching or tearing of a ligament, not a muscle. Strains involve muscles and will benefit from exercise if for no reason than to keep the muscle supple.

Seeing a physician for a definitive diagnosis (stretched v tear, and to what degree) is always good advice, but I don't think you need to write off your drum corps experience this year. Rest and elevation, being sensible about your limitations until it heals, and adequate support for the ankle for the times you need to be on it will get you through the healing process and the season.