Rockford, Illinois- Show of Shows Scores

I heard they change the weather report and the traffic reports as they progress through different states also.

I will have to see this. I like that they included "The Marriage of Figaro" - as it's my favorite opera....I think the musicality of the section sounds great, but I don't like the vocals. I still hope they make finals, because I really like XMen!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I think this is way off base. Why would the judges do this? They are hired to judge a competition, and as long as the corps perform under the guidelines that are allowed by DCI then those corps should be judged fairly. All they can do is judge what is there, and I think they have been doing that. Are you suggesting that they give other corps (like Phantom) special treatment over the Cadets, simply because the cadets use vocals and amps, and because you don't like their show?

Not buying your comments here. It doesn't take courage to be unfair, and it doesn't take courage to attack things we don't like or don't understand. That is typical humand nature. It takes courage to investigate and learn, to research and listen, to ponder and give real thought to what the best course of action is before making blanket statements that ask for punishment based on a corps that is NOT breaking the rules.

Jonathan

I find it absurd that this post (and others here) immediately want to twist what I said earlier as an "attack" on the Cadets organization. Its far from it. If any aggression is intended at all, then I would say it's retailiation for the arrogant words and actions of George Hopkins, not the Cadets. If anyone has "attacked" anything, it is George Hopkins who is openly and deliberately the drum corps movement with blantant comments about NOT wanting his shows to be "drum corps shows". Over the last few years, he's went from being the greatest "champion" (i.e., promoter) of the drum and bugle corps medium to being it's greatest detractor - and I for one am as puzzled as I am angered by it. Many of his comments of late seem to be thinly veiled insults at drum and bugle corps as a distinct entertainment medium - as though it has become something inferior. And as others here have said, many of his so-called "innovations" (which is amusing, since much of this has been done by someone else) seem more and more to be less about improving the quality and character of the shows and more about displaying his open contempt of the drum and bugle corps idiom. As I said before, and I don't think it's unfair to say so (especially since there have been whole threads stating essentially the same thing), if George Hopkins is tired of drum corps and wants to do something else, great; he should do as Star did and go start his own youth activity. I sincerely wish him the best and greatest success in doing so. But he should indeed let drum corps be drum corps, and show some respect for those on and off the field that want drum and bugle corps to remain a distinct musical form by getting out of this activity if he truly despises it so much.

And as for all those "you too stupid to get it" comments in this post (and others like it towards others who share my views on this subject), I'm sorry, but those are strawman arguments - and are nothing short of a hypocritical "yo mama" sort of attack. First of all, like many others who share my views, I have a long, rich history with this activity - no doubt much longer that many of those on the opposite side of this argument. I spent nearly 10 years covering DCI and WGI as a correpsondent for Drum Corp World, during which I was commended by quite a few in the activity for being objective where others were not, as well as for being knowlegeable about both individual shows and the activity in general. From the very beginning, I've tried very hard to encourage a crowd to applaud the smallest of the small corps and guards along with me - to reward the kids who work just as hard (if not harder) than the kids in the elite organizations with the one thing they really want - warm, heart-felt applause. And it is because of this experience that I refuse to sit quietly while George Hopkins - a man once greatly admired - transform something that I spent years of dedication and hard work promoting into something that I (and many others like me) find to be a trite, watered-down substitute for what once was the greatest youth activity on the planet - not because it's better for the audience, or for the kids, or for the activity in general, but simply because he can and because he wants to.

Crossmen note: I NEVER WANT TO HEAR "MY HUMPS" IN A DRUM CORPS SHOW AGAIN KTHXBYE.

Crossmen were not anywhere close to clean in Rockford, but it's a really fun show. IMHO, Bones has the Spirit of Disney award this year, if nothing else.

The Rockford crowd is very honest - you really have to work to get a standing-O there, because it tends to be a more educated crowd than many of the other bando filled shows.

Yes, they are honest. I saw a couple of Regiment years where the audience just wasn't anything like they were this year. They can be ice cold, but never anything less than polite. They know what they like. If they don't like it, don't expect them to jump up and down and cheer for it.

George's comment about Midwestern crowds is a load of crap. They are different from eastern crowds, certainly. And they don't feel beholden to clap on reputation alone.

I had some of my family up for the show and they really enjoyed it. I tried to explain why Crossmen wasn't "better" than the Cadets to them but they weren't buying my explanation. They did know that Regiment wasn't going to win the show, though--they knew Devils would win, and Grandma even got the point spread right. :)

For my part, umm, I'm going to reserve judgment for the Cadets show at this point. I saw it once and that wasn't enough for me to get a very good read on it.

Did I mention how much my family loved Crossmen? Holy moly Crossmen just rule! Don't even care what they scored. My sister had to choose a drum corps shirt to buy and she picked a Crossmen shirt. I'll get her a Regiment shirt later. B)

I was really into Crown's show. Colts are doing fantastic this summer. And I totally enjoyed Capital Regiment. Great program. Devils are their usual excellent selves.

Colt Cadets were cute as anything.

I think I've never left a Show of Shows more pleased with the line up from top to bottom. :P My wife's on tour with Regiment for the next week so she gets to see the corps all the time (and I am extremely envious).

if they want to include a rap song into the radio section i think they should change it from "my humps" to the old trick daddy song called "shut up" it would be a chance for a sick ### contra feature....university of oregon did it at one of their football games and it was friggin awesome...

That HOSTILE ROCKFORD CROWD really gave a nice hand to the Blue Devils, who went on to win. Know why? It was a pretty good show. Not my favorite of the night--Phantom was for that--but the horns were absolutely amazing, and the drill was great too. There were some spots I didn't care for so much, like the "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes" thing, or the botched intro, but still a good show.

Yes, the bulk of that "hostile" crowd gave BD a standing ovation when they were announced as the winner.

Many, many of the people in the stands at Rockford have seen a LOT of good drum corps over the years. 50 of them, actually! It's not exactly a crowd that's unfamiliar with drum corps.

G

Yes, the bulk of that "hostile" crowd gave BD a standing ovation when they were announced as the winner.

Many, many of the people in the stands at Rockford have seen a LOT of good drum corps over the years. 50 of them, actually! It's not exactly a crowd that's unfamiliar with drum corps.

G

justr wondering, but how big was the crowd?

Also have to add in that REO Speedwagon is from DeKalb.

Flame away!

I believe REO Speedwagon is from Champaign, actually. One of the main drags through downtown is called REO Speedwagon Way.

G

There's no such thing as home field advantage in drum corps. Don't be surprised if Phantom beats the Cadets from here on out. Don't be surprised if the Cadets beat Phantom from here on out. It has nothing to do with home field advantage and all to do with one corps being better than another on that night.

Yes.

G