Why no JR corps in Minnesota?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a young lad of 15, I joined the Govenaires and was welcomed with open arms by all. My high school didn't offer a quality or substansial marching program. I never ventured into Jr. corps, my love for Govies and the people in it kept me close. Perhaps people of all ages need to appreciate the benefits of drum corps in MN on the whole. My Senior/All Age expirence has made me who I am in drum corps today. And I wouldn't trade it.

Come join us...

It's weird how things like that work out. Look at Michigan. Many of the same things with successful BOA and high school bands, a few noteworthy music schools, yet, a drum corps can't seem to flourish here. I don't have the real answer as to why though. I know Dimensions has been trying to run in Michigan for a few years now, but it's hard to get people's interest when they can audition for a top 12 corps by only traveling a few extra hours or whatever. I have a feeling that may be some of the case with MN. There are accessible, established corps, so starting one would be difficult. JMO.

Slightly off topic, but isn't Legends from Portage, Michigan? I know they only did a few standstill performances the last couple of weeks...looks like something happening there.

For the most part, Blue Stars practices are ran out of the Twin Cities. Before I get slammed by Blue Star people, I know they are still from LaCrosse but I want to say all the practices are in Brighton MN or something like that. They had one camp in LaCrosse. Greg Struve was from up there I think (old director until Brad Furlano took over). So if you want to count Blue Stars as a MN corps, go right ahead. I want to say that I remember that the origins of the Blue Stars are from LaCressent, MN. But that was way before I was born so that is just from memory.

Go Blue!

FCO!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just thought I'd offer some clarification/history.

The corps started doing a majority of the camps from the Twin Cities area in '04. Mainly for reasons like lack of affordable and spacious rehearsal space in the La Crosse area. Having spent the first 24 years of my life in the La Crosse area, I can also say that the local band programs are not as strong as other areas of the country, and the marching programs are a joke. Other musical activities get much more focus (Show Choir for instance.) So there really hasn't been a recruiting base for many many years. Twin Cities though, as you mentioned is a mere 2 or so hours from La Crosse and has a wealth of talent, many of which have been going to many other successful corps for many years. Also, as was mentioned, there is a wealth of great All-Age corps opportunities that soak up a lot of that talent. So for the Blue Stars, it was pretty obvious to look to the Twin Cities area.

The current Executive Director, Brad Furlano, is an Onalaska native (like me), which is connected to La Crosse. The home office is, always has been, and will probably continue to be in La Crosse, especially with Brad being local. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that we've received key grants from the La Crosse Foundation that have gone a long ways towards setting the corps up for the successes it is seeing now.

In regards to La Crescent, MN , the Blue Stars are actually a merger between the La Crescent Apple Arrows parade corps and the Blue Stars parade corps.

Who needs corps that restrict their age elgibility, when you can be in a corps for life.