What to expect when on tour

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a scary thing but I've heard it happens

Riding down the road, looking out the window. . . :beer:. . . only to see a big tire going by.

Then a few minutes later. . . a second one! :beer::beer:

Boy the screams and laughter made several pee their pants. :beer: But it was the most memorable events of the tour.

Scared the crap out of us! (Good thing buses have more tires than most vehicles.)

Oo! I just thought of another. The dead raccoon in the under luggage bay! Who knows how many thousands of miles that corpse was travelling with the corps?

Edited by apoch003

Oo! I just thought of another. The dead raccoon in the under luggage bay! Who knows how many thousands of miles that corpse was travelling with the corps?

that must of been terrible

Expect to sleep on someone else's shoulder and not be teased about it. But DO expect pictures to be taken.

While sleeping on shoulders...Expect to either drool on someone, or be drooled on by someone.

Expect that even though the bus is unbearably hot in the day time, it can be freezing at night.

Expect when actually calling floor space on the bus and getting it, to have some unknown substance drip on you, or roll down the floor on you. And expect to have people's feet laying on you.

Expect to have at least one horrible bus driver that either wakes you up in the middle of the night by drifting onto the side of the road, hits something, or just having them be a complete idiot.

Expect to see things you never thought you would see...or wanted to see.

Expect to eat things you never thought you would eat...or wanted to eat.

Expect that downtown on a gym floor..especially a full night... is one nice slice of heaven that doesn't happen very often

Expect that if one person gets sick, 3/4 of the corps will get sick.

Expect that if one person gets in trouble, everyone gets in trouble.

Expect to learn a lot

Expect to have fun

Expect to meet people that will be lifelong friends.

OK I am going to start a debate on here.

Expect to get hurt.

Why is it so hush hush when there are injuries during the year? Staff wants it to be kept quiet so they do not get any bad publicity. But in all reality it should be out in the open so that kids wanting to become members know that if you are not in shape and ready for this grueling summer, you may get hurt, and hurt real bad.

At a resent show I spoke with a guy, who's grandson dropped during a practice on the field, and suffered a heat stroke. He was hospitalised for 2 weeks and after another 2 weeks is still recuporating from it. Dr. said he is lucky to be alive, and also said he would not be able to attend college this fall because of it. He has some brain damage from it that he may never recover from.

Now I know this is very extreme, but why would this type of stuff be kept from future members and their families? Who is really benefiting, and who is paying the price?

If you happen to be one of the few females on tour with an all male Corps, you can expect:

1.To have your shower interrupted by a member who thought "we were told we could use both shower rooms"! Luckily, I was still dressed - the kid would have been traumatized for life!

2. To have your time in the bathroom interrupted by a decidedly pair of male legs coming into the stall next to you and using the facilities with his feet facing the wall.

In general - you will laugh like you have never laughed at the antics on tour - learn that you can make it through a day without a shower - forget what it's like to eat in a chair at a table - thank God every night for the AeroBed company!

Been there and do it every year.

Also:

printing out 10 "Women in Showers" and "Woman in Bathroom" signs to take on tour every year.

every year for the last eight I have spent at least one night sleeping on the floor with a towel as a cover because something happened to my mattress, or my stuff is locked in the wrong bus, or I can't find the drivers room and I can't find anyone who knows where it is.

Learning that you can go 24 hours with no problem, but watch out for the 25th hour.

:P

Ummm... we didn't have injuries while I marched.

Expect not to be an idiot and you won't get hurt. Stay hydrated... not with water, but with gatorade. It's important.

If you're sweating heavily, and then suddenly you STOP SWEATING, get the h e l l outta the sun!

Well, you see.... when a bus window and a highway love each other very much....

Yeah, one of our busses had that big window in the back (instead of the usual wall that's there nowadays). And one day, driving down the freeway, it just fell off, sailed in a nice turning motion for about 200 yards, then smashed to bits on the freeway.

It was surprising, to say the least.

Cap Sound used to have school buses with coach seats.

Nothing beats driving down the road with the window open and being pelted with hail . . . in the face. Then being half asleep and waving your arms in the air because you think someone is throwing stuff at you. Then you realize that its hail and u shut the window and sit back in utter amazement as you are soaking wet and fully awake by now.