Posting videos on Youtube and Google Video

DCP is liable for the content on its servers, including links to illegal recordings.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that hotlinking is not illegal as long as the pirated material is not on your server. The issue has come up on another forum that I frequent when they were threatened to be sued by Apple for having a link to a users manual or something.

I respectfully disagree. When the DVDs were the only game in town, I'd bet the average fan would like to take the plunge. Now, however, given the option....

If they have $99 lying around. What's an average fan? I'm not an average fan--I spend a lot of $ on this stuff--and yet I don't buy DCI's dvd's. Most "average" fans probably don't buy anything from DCI except tickets.

The funny thing is, I end up buying several of the individual corps DVD's and spend more than that. The DCI product isn't as appealing to me as some of the stuff the corps themselves put together.

the only way to make that money back, is by selling (through rights) those recorded events.

and the only way to sell anything is to market it.

If a tree falls in a forest...and no one's there to hear it...will anyone buy the CD recording?

It's about the marketing...and it isn't stealing if the corps is giving a sample freely as part of their marketing program.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm pretty sure that hotlinking is not illegal as long as the pirated material is not on your server. The issue has come up on another forum that I frequent when they were threatened to be sued by Apple for having a link to a users manual or something.

That's not the view the law or the courts have taken, and in any case, we have no interest in being a test case. Kevin reposted the policy, and it stands.

That's not the view the law or the courts have taken, and in any case, we have no interest in being a test case. Kevin reposted the policy, and it stands.

Can you provide an example of a case where the courts went the other way on this issue?

I'm not arguing against the policy or saying that it shouldn't be the policy, I'm just curious.

I was wondering how long it would take before this topic hit.

Since I have copyrighted music that is illegally up on YouTube right now, my take is that it is that it is.....well.... illegal. To answer some questions, DCI (and the Santa Clara Vanguard/Magic/Caballeros/Millennium...aka corps with my original music this year) are the only organizations who have the permission to record and distribute the various 2006 shows that I have composed. If SCV, etc.. or DCI wants to place snippets of the 2006 shows up on YouTube to promote the activity or their specific corps, they have my permission to do so. That is their choice and not someone who is illegally taping a show. At least there would be a quality control aspect to the video itself! Bottom line, if it negatively affects a revenue source for SCV, etc... (sales of DCI or SCV, etc... DVDs/CDs) that is where I get upset. All corps need to generate revenue in order to keep tour fees lowered so anyone who wants to march...can! With gas prices going through the roof, tour fees are only going to increase. Please help the situation by supporting your favorite corps through LEGAL purchases via DCI or the corps souvie booths/websites.

Predicting the future - I'm certain that this topic will be addressed by DCI as well as all of the owners (including composers and drill designers) of the copyrighted material.

Key Poulan

Can you provide an example of a case where the courts went the other way on this issue?

I'm not arguing against the policy or saying that it shouldn't be the policy, I'm just curious.

Napster.

Even though they didn't control any of the content, they were held liable because they had no controls regarding the legality of the files being traded.

I think we're all doing what we can to legally support our corps of choice through DVDs and shirts and what not. Nobody wants to do anything that negatively affects DCI or corps revenue. We like this activity and want to keep it around. But if we want to watch some clips of shows on Youtube now and then to tide us over until the next live show, I don't think that's hurting anyone. That's doing more good, actually, as we're further familiarizing ourselves with the drill and repertoire so that we can appreciate it better when we pay to see it, and be more likely to purchase the DVD at season's end.

I'm on both sides of the fence on this one ... it's a very difficult issue.

1) I agree 100% with Key. Illegally copied music is ... illegal! We have a licensing system in place so that composers license their works to performers, who can perform it and sell it (which requirese different licencing, depending on the sales medium, DVD, CD, etc.) This is to ensure that those who write, perform, or sell their music are protected. I personally don't want to screw any corps out of their $$$, SCV, Troopers, or BD B-Corps ... so I purchase it if I want it.

2) However, the flip side is also something I'm passionate about. I love to see what corps out of my area are doing. Seeing it on YT, or wherever, gives me that ability ... and in some cases has motivated me to make a purchase! It's free advertising! It promotes the activity! It can motivate the next "Jim Ott" out there!

Rebuttal against 1) The problem is, that most corps do not make free material available that promotes themselves, or the activity, except for BlueView, there's not much out there. There is a hunger for this material, and it's NOT being addressed by the activity.

Rebuttal against 2) It's still illegal!

It's a very tough issue which I've been wrestling with DCI and DCA for the last few years. I think DCI and DCA (as well as DCP) are doing the right thing, with respect to the law, and as a BOD member I applaud that. But as a fan, I think it's stifiling the activity, something the activity does NOT need right now.

It's a difficult issue.

I was wondering how long it would take before this topic hit.

Since I have copyrighted music that is illegally up on YouTube right now, my take is that it is that it is.....well.... illegal. To answer some questions, DCI (and the Santa Clara Vanguard/Magic/Caballeros/Millennium...aka corps with my original music this year) are the only organizations who have the permission to record and distribute the various 2006 shows that I have composed. If SCV, etc.. or DCI wants to place snippets of the 2006 shows up on YouTube to promote the activity or their specific corps, they have my permission to do so. That is their choice and not someone who is illegally taping a show. At least there would be a quality control aspect to the video itself! Bottom line, if it negatively affects a revenue source for SCV, etc... (sales of DCI or SCV, etc... DVDs/CDs) that is where I get upset. All corps need to generate revenue in order to keep tour fees lowered so anyone who wants to march...can! With gas prices going through the roof, tour fees are only going to increase. Please help the situation by supporting your favorite corps through LEGAL purchases via DCI or the corps souvie booths/websites.

Predicting the future - I'm certain that this topic will be addressed by DCI as well as all of the owners (including composers and drill designers) of the copyrighted material.

Key Poulan

Key:

A great response with LOTS of stuff for people to think about. This should be distributed to everyone who loves drum corps.

Mike

I think we're all doing what we can to legally support our corps of choice through DVDs and shirts and what not. Nobody wants to do anything that negatively affects DCI or corps revenue. We like this activity and want to keep it around. But if we want to watch some clips of shows on Youtube now and then to tide us over until the next live show, I don't think that's hurting anyone. That's doing more good, actually, as we're further familiarizing ourselves with the drill and repertoire so that we can appreciate it better when we pay to see it, and be more likely to purchase the DVD at season's end.

The videos are still illegal on youtube whether or not you want to learn a corps drill with the best intentions. Two words: Season Pass