Just a great review, Chuck. Outstanding! Wish you could get to more shows.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for the info, Laura. Looks like it didn't affect their score as much as they might have hoped. :(

I really think their score was about 2 points too low (as well as BK).

A side note, BK's swirly drill thingie in the closer is just plain cool.

Great job, Chuck.

Lots of people on DCP have opinions. Few have the background, experience or knowledge to back up their opinions.

G

Everyone's opinions are valid. We don't have to "back them up". That's why they are "our" opinions.

Chuck, I have to say that I think it was a little rude for you to say "if you want to see Crossmen in Madison, be there on Friday" even if they are/have been affiliated with you. Let's not give up just yet. Anything is possible.

Chuck:

Saw the same show from the 35 yard line; 26 rows up. Unlike you, we had a large group of "popcorn eaters" in front of us, and two families (one next to us and one behind us) who were attending their first competition. At least they were open-minded--and very impressed--about what they saw. I agree with most of your comments, and thank you for the clear recognition of the level of effort displayed by all participants during the evening.

Here are a few of other thoughts.

First, why is no one talking about the Front Line of BK? They are clearly the most musically gifted group in the past several years in DCI. What they play is music--clearly integrated (in fact, the lead voice in many cases) in the musical presentation of the Barber played so well by the Brass line. This is not some group that is simply pounding on percussion instruments and an afterthought for most of the percussion book. How well they play as an ensemble is a pleasure to hear and see. Sorry you missed the "after show" at the stadium. BK played "Kavil Srivi" (sp?), a Russian low brass chorale, and their entire show--another chance to hear/see the Front Line. Speak to me!

Second, the mikes and audibility/distinctiveness were equally a problem from 26 rows up also. While I will suspend my personal beliefs about the use of amplification, here is my comment. If amplification is to be part of the show, then when they don't work (as they didn't for most of the corps that used them), deduct from the corps score--just like a horn tear or sloppy stick work. I obviously don't have access to the "sheets"; but why do some corps score high in GE when the mikes don't work? To not deduct is to give corps a "free pass" on this element of the show--and there is no incentive for corps that use amps to get things right.

Third, while there was certainly a lot going on with the Cadets show (too much/lacked focus based on the comments from the folks around us) (but I suppose that is what a nightmare is), in some ways there was too little going on. While the drum line was doing their thing (quite well) to the left of the 50, the horn line was hauling around pink platforms on the opposite 35 (right in front of us--so they were hard to miss). Given what the percussion was playing, this other element seemed to be moving rather slowly and disconnectedly. I kept wondering (even 2 days later) how the audience/judges would respond to this show if it were performed by Blue Star, Crossmen, or Seattle Cascade. My guess is that it would not merit an 85.

Fourth, the venue at Mile High was darn near full from end zone to end zone for at least three levels of the stadium. Lots of high school band members, who where recognized throughout the night, were in attendance as well as many old and young alumni from many corps across the country. The audience response was good (but certainly not crazy), except for the Cavies show where the SO was immediate and widespread. I agree about your comment regarding the need for more punch with the ending--but the first half of their show is already "sick" clean for July.

Enough of my thoughts. I appreciated your review and the other DATR review. The two most interesting battles for the remainder of the season will be Cavies vs. BD and the incredibly jumbled group from 6 - 10 (not necessarily in this order--SCV, BK, Boston, Madison, Crown). We can only hope that the "adjudicators" (fancy word for "the only people whose opinions 'count'") will actually watch the show with open minds and sharp pencils.

--DrGene

Edited by cardinal_frnch_hrn

Everyone's opinions are valid. We don't have to "back them up". That's why they are "our" opinions.

Chuck, I have to say that I think it was a little rude for you to say "if you want to see Crossmen in Madison, be there on Friday" even if they are/have been affiliated with you. Let's not give up just yet. Anything is possible.

there is still a great chance for CROSSMEN to be there sat. night.

waiting for the bump.

Chuck:

Third, while there was certainly a lot going on with the Cadets show (too much/lacked focus based on the comments from the folks around us) (but I suppose that is what a nightmare is), in some ways there was too little going on. While the drum line was doing their thing (quite well) to the left of the 50, the horn line was hauling around pink platforms on the opposite 35 (right in front of us--so they were hard to miss). Given what the percussion was playing, this other element seemed to be moving rather slowly and disconnectedly. I kept wondering (even 2 days later) how the audience/judges would respond to this show if it were performed by Blue Star, Crossmen, or Seattle Cascade. My guess is that it would not merit an 85.

--DrGene

First off, no offense to Blue Stars, Crossmen & Seattle Cascades, but they don't have the talent level to attempt what Cadets are doing this season, so your statement has no merit. I knew there would be someone that just couldn't stand to read the positive words by the original poster in reference to the Cadets show. I couldn't agree with the originator of this post any more about the brilliance of the Cadets show this year. It's strictly my opinion, but I honestly feel some in the judging community have a bias against the Cadets this season.