• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's opinions are valid. We don't have to "back them up". That's why they are "our" opinions.

Chuck, I have to say that I think it was a little rude for you to say "if you want to see Crossmen in Madison, be there on Friday" even if they are/have been affiliated with you. Let's not give up just yet. Anything is possible.

Hello "cardman"!

To the point. . . and risking your wrath. . .

One person's "rude" is another person's "honest opinion". I don't know anyone who truly embarks on the quest for greatness that would rather receive half-hearted compliments, accolades, and encrypted commentary when, instead, they could have heard honest criticism and considered its validity.

There's no "giving up" implied or expressed in my review. I call it as I see it. . . with no regrets or false hopes. It doesn't matter to me where the Crossmen or any other corps end up come Finals week.

In point of fact, there are at least 12, and possibly 15 other drum corps in Division I that are better than the Crossmen at this point in the season. There are 3 weeks left. If someone is a huge Crossmen fan, I would hate for that fan to miss out on their favorite corps by only showing up on Saturday and wondering what happened. . . not great odds to play. . . and the Crossmen do not have a history of making great end-of-season comebacks when this far back in the field. One jump from 8th to 6th in Finals 15 years ago hardly constitutes regular occurance. Nor is the "momentum factor" of 1996 and 1997 applicable to the current situation. . . there is no momentum.

No more. No less. No anger. No joy. No baggage. Just "is".

I am not affiliated with the Crossmen, and have not been since the middle of summer in 2003 for all practical purposes. No ill will -- not even a little! But a serious difference of opinion about what works competitively, and what constitutes "great" programming and performance. They are "good" right now -- Low Box 4.

As always, the kids work hard, and are wonderful people -- and are getting a great social experience as well as life experience. I'm sure they wouldn't trade it for anything, and there is a very LARGE mystique and pride within the Crossmen membership about the "Bones" tradition. It's unique and thrilling!! It's worth the price of the ride!!

It still won't keep them busy on Saturday night come Finals Week. My review was of design and performance -- not "heart". Every single performer out there has "heart", or they'd be at home playing X-Box 360 and churning out minimum wage at Sonic Burger all summer instead of living their dreams. I applaud and respect their choices.

I could have gushed at all the wonderful things kids do for every show. Instead, I chose to actually review what I experienced, from my point of view, with my experience, and express my un-candy-coated opinion -- always at the risk of offending others. What I cannot control is anyone else's opinion -- nor would I try.

You and every other warm, wonderful Crossmen-loving fan is free to wait until Saturday and see who made it. But if I was a parent, and wanted to see my son or daughter perform in Madison. . .

Upon reflection, I stand by the review.

Very best to all -- and thanks for all the kind words from everyone regarding the review -- I had no idea it would generate any interest at all quite honestly.

:worthy:

Chuck Naffier

Retired

Everyone's opinions are valid. We don't have to "back them up". That's why they are "our" opinions.

Chuck, I have to say that I think it was a little rude for you to say "if you want to see Crossmen in Madison, be there on Friday" even if they are/have been affiliated with you. Let's not give up just yet. Anything is possible.

OK, some opinions are more valid than others, otherwise knowledge and/or experience would be meaningless.

For instance, my opinion on Italy's strategy in the World Cup final may be valid (though I don't think is) but not nearly as valid as the soccer coach at Indiana.

Just because someone has an opinion on something doesn't mean it's worth anything (such as my opinion on soccer strategy). The source must be considered.

That's my opinion!

G

Edited by GSNewell

Love your reviews, please don't ever change your style.

Whatever happened to the arrangerX returns to Crossmen hoopla that was announced after last season?

I thought Vanguard found a truckload sale from Hane's to outfit the colorguard!

What, I'm not entitled to express my opinion? you certainly don't hesitate to express yours

You expressed your opinion. I didn't stop you. You can even re-iterate it if you wish. And I'll react the same way to it.

If you don't like it when your opinions are criticized, then perhaps you need a new, more solitary hobby. I hear crossword puzzles are fun. You can even cheat and look in the back of the book for the answers when nobody's watching! :)

You expressed your opinion. I didn't stop you. You can even re-iterate it if you wish. And I'll react the same way to it.

If you don't like it when your opinions are criticized, then perhaps you need a new, more solitary hobby. I hear crossword puzzles are fun. You can even cheat and look in the back of the book for the answers when nobody's watching! :)

Wow, you're not only the holder of the truth, you are the gate keeper for DCP.

Didn't see you criticize my opinions. I did see your childish, mean-spirited response though

Wow, you're not only the holder of the truth, you are the gate keeper for DCP.

Never said I was either. Just reacting to what I consider to be a ridiculous statement that some judges are biased against the Cadets. Scores don't work out the way you want, so the judges must be biased...who's being childish?? :worthy:

I don't know that this is the year SCV regains their poise and runs at the Top 5. 6th is a possibility -- but they feel a lot more like and 8th or 9th place corps right now.

First of all, thank you for your review. I really enjoy keeping tabs on the Vanguard through DCP.

Secondly, with all of my heart, I hope you're wrong about the Vanguard and I sincerely hope they make it back into the Top 5 this season. They should definitely be able to take 6th. They'd only place lower than that if they sat back on their laurels and didn't work as hard as they could.

The Vanguard seems to be weak in the percussion caption this season, which is an uncommon area for them to be weak in. (Rest of this section edited due to additional information given...thanks Key :))

Also, I feel that since they're marching point-to-point Cavalier-esque style drill, they should probably add to their visual staff some Cavalier alumni. I was extremely surprised to see how dirty their drill is this year, especially seeing as how they started learning it in February. They can't come out of the chute dirty, when all of their competitors above them (Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Bluecoats) start-off so much cleaner. In '89, my buddies in Blue Devils that year told me, "Wow! You guys are clean!" To which I replied, "You've got to be kidding me?!" :worthy: We had some of the hardest drill on the field, but I guess we were sufficiently clean during the off-season. SCV has to do that again...no excuses...BE CLEAN :)

Edited again...appearently this meager post has gotton some MAJOR attention from staff members :laugh: Yikes!

Edited by PeeWee