How are the corps doing in the heat

Having attended rehearsals on Saturday for both Madison and BD, I can assure you it was quite warm... For Madison, they've been touring in the Northeast with rain, and was told by staff that Saturday was only their second day over 90... Two guard members suffered from heat exhaustion during ensemble rehearsal that afternoon...

it all comes down to preparation... in 2003, we were touring in ohio within the first couple weeks, and thus were fairly ready for the texas, oklahoma, etc. heat... this year has been different for madison, with tour not heading south until about now... bd didn't seem to have a problem (some members were even wearing pants), but they've been drifting from the west, where warmer temperatures exist...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who's dehydrated before, and got it straight from the doc himself, it's important to remember that lack of thirst is NO indication that you're safe. You have to stay hydrated - even if you don't feel thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine. They can accellerate dehydration - and believe me it hit's you like ton of bricks all at once - you don't even see it coming. Drink plenty of water and stay safe. Enjoy the season.

From what I remember when marching the heat does not bother you when you are used to being out in day in and day out for the whole summer. I can remember doing stadium days on the old astroturf that would get up to 120 degrees most days in the summer. I know I could not do it now since I am spoiled and used to spending most of my summers inside unless I want to be outside. Kind of that whole adapting to your environment thing in nature I would say.

Hot is hot no matter what but it definitely helps the kids to have acclimated over the last month or so. I also know that I could stand the heat a lot better at 19-20 than I can now at 45. We are from Texas and my son laughs that this is the payback to all the corps members that tease him during winter camps when he shows up in virtually every stitch of clothing he owns. :)

I remember 2 years ago when SW was rehearsing for the Dallas show. My family was there watching and at a break my son walked over to talk to me where I stood in the shade. It was 96-97 or so that day. One of the guys from Michigan ( I think) came over and was ranting about how hot it was. My son and I looked at each other and told him, no this was actually quite nice. He said something ugly about southerners and walked away to get a drink.

Just keep them drinking water and sports drinks - mainly water - and eating plenty. The one thing that bothers me when I see a lot of the corps rehearsing are the kids that won;t wear anything on their head. This is BAD, BAD, BAD! This is a free ticket to a heatstroke and I promise you one of those is no fun. If you have a kid in the corp or even a staff member remeind them to drink plenty of liquids and cover their HEAD!!!

Dr. Steve Blezinger

I just wrapped up camp with the Madison Alumni Corps...pretty warm all weekend. The weather reports had most of the grainbelt at 8 or 10 degrees above average temperatures over the weekend, with no forecast for real relief until later this week.

Lucky for us at the alumni corps, we can stop at the gas statiion and buy ice for our coolers of gatorade at every meal break. We were watering up every 20-30 minutes, but still had a heat casualty on both days.

Suiting up on Saturday night was a lot warmer than I remember. I was pouring sweat straight through brass warm-up. And dealing with intonation in an environment like that was no treat. SA will be tough for the hornlines with the temp change from the lot to the dome.

As far as Cascades, they beat the heat with a dip in the swimming pool this afternoon and are looking into some matinee movies for tomorrow afternoon in the Tulsa area if the temperature stays up. Everyone seems to be very wary of the heat and its impact on the kids (much more so than I remember from my marching days, I think). I have also found that having the kids run through the showers to cool their core temp helps them energy-wise through the afternoon rehearsal block.

--Jimmy

As far as Cascades, they beat the heat with a dip in the swimming pool this afternoon and are looking into some matinee movies for tomorrow afternoon in the Tulsa area if the temperature stays up. Everyone seems to be very wary of the heat and its impact on the kids (much more so than I remember from my marching days, I think). I have also found that having the kids run through the showers to cool their core temp helps them energy-wise through the afternoon rehearsal block.

--Jimmy

One of the things you all always did do Jimmy from my dealings with the Cascades is be very aware of the temps - the wide variation that is found even in your all days camp of the temperature is no different. This was my first spring/summer up here in Oregon and we saw highs in that two week time period here in Eugene from the mid 50's to the high 90's. With high humidity and in the high 90's - those are killer days. Sunscreen, hats, and hydration are absolutely necessary - plus when the kids are fighting bugs as well - yuck!

When we lived in So Cal it was on the edge of the Mojave desert and what a lot of people would do is to work on their lawns or outsisde activities in the early evening until about midnight and then stay inside during the hot part of the day.

Hot is hot no matter what but it definitely helps the kids to have acclimated over the last month or so. I also know that I could stand the heat a lot better at 19-20 than I can now at 45. We are from Texas and my son laughs that this is the payback to all the corps members that tease him during winter camps when he shows up in virtually every stitch of clothing he owns. :)

I remember 2 years ago when SW was rehearsing for the Dallas show. My family was there watching and at a break my son walked over to talk to me where I stood in the shade. It was 96-97 or so that day. One of the guys from Michigan ( I think) came over and was ranting about how hot it was. My son and I looked at each other and told him, no this was actually quite nice. He said something ugly about southerners and walked away to get a drink.

Just keep them drinking water and sports drinks - mainly water - and eating plenty. The one thing that bothers me when I see a lot of the corps rehearsing are the kids that won;t wear anything on their head. This is BAD, BAD, BAD! This is a free ticket to a heatstroke and I promise you one of those is no fun. If you have a kid in the corp or even a staff member remeind them to drink plenty of liquids and cover their HEAD!!!

Dr. Steve Blezinger

Oh man, I have to go go with you on that one Doc. I think the major health issues in Drum Corps' future are going to be be sun protection and hydration. No doubt!

all these kids are whiners...during wrestling season we crank up the heat in the wrestling room to 110 and the humidity is ridiculous..and we wrestle is sweats....anything outside in shorts is weak sauce..

hahah obviously joking well about the whining part lol

The head issue was something I remember them harping on. NOBODY in the hornline was allowed on the field without a hat at anytime. That was one of Donnie Van Doren's hard rules!!

In Monroe,Louisana Hot! and the up and comonig RedStick Thunder Pagent of Champions Memorial Stadium Baton Rouge,LA even Hotter!!!!

rimshotspiritTerrance