famous corp members

legend has it that he (travis barker from blink 182) made the blue devils snare line, but quit in order to tour with blink 182 or something, not exactly sure.

Ummm... I think that goes into the Bob Barker/Madonna category. Just check out the Youtube video of him hacking on a marching snare. Better than I would've thought given the difference in style, but NOT Blue Devils caliber or even Blue Devils B for that matter.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

billy codham

Here are a couple most people never mention....

Max Roach- Concord Baptist Church Drum and Bugle Corps, Bklyn.

Omar Brasheer- Giles Yellowjackets, Chicago

Steve Johns (Sonny Fortune Quartet)- Sharpshooters, Framingham, Mass.

There have also been rumors for years that Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons marched (which corps I'm not sure).

Billy Cobham and his brother Wayne both marched Sunrisers, as Ray Priester has already noted.

Mark Riley

• 1 year later...
Famous Drummer Tommy Igoe (Lion King, Birdland Big Band, and author of "Groove Essentials) Played tenors for Bridgemen 81-83. Had dinner with him last night after a clinic, only thing he said about current drum corps "Too much talking"

You should have told him that out of 20+ corps this year only 3 or 4 had any talking at all and only 1 of those was extensive.

"Too much talking" is such a bs statement when the vast majority of corps use no talking at all.

Grammy Award winning Composer, Pianist, Jazz Musician Chick Corea marched for several years with the St. Rose Scarlet Lancers, Chelsea, Ma. in the early 60's. He has reportedly attributed his musical interest and development as a youngster to the inspiration he received from his instructors he had in his musical formative years with that Corps.

Edited by X DM

I heard Wayne Bergeron marched a small corps out of New York. Can anyone confirm this?

From the Colts early 80s... Gene Steichman, he is the leaf in the fruit of the loom commercials.

I heard Wayne Bergeron marched a small corps out of New York. Can anyone confirm this?

Wayne marched in the Lynnwood Diplomats (SoCal).

legend has it that he (travis barker from blink 182) made the blue devils snare line, but quit in order to tour with blink 182 or something, not exactly sure.

>>The day before starting his freshman year at Fontana High School, Barker's mother died. She told him before she died to continue playing the drums because that was what he was good at, and he listened to her. After her death, Barker became more serious with drumming. He joined marching band his sophomore year and made the snare line. During high school he performed at regional competitions and festivals. During his senior year of high school, Barker passed up drum corps tryouts to tour with his first band, Feeble.