Amplified vocals pulled from Cadets show

Rather than focus on just the one comment on the narration (the one you bolded for us), perhaps you could look at the totality of Hops comments. They are making changes to address many issues that have been holding this show back from realizing it's full potential. These are the very same things that many poeple have commented on all summer, so it's great they are addressing them.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, I'd almost rather see him add. If he's trying to see just how far he can go, then he should see just how far he can go. I'd honestly rather prefer to see that, actually.

From the blog...

We wanted to explore different approaches to entertainment.

Heck, we started the NO drum solo thing in 1982 .... but now, well, all have the same approach -- the world of percussion interludes.

Can I point out that "percussion interludes" rather than standalone percussion solos were part of the art form well before the '82 Garfield show. Check out SCV in '74 and '76 for examples... B)

Edited by mobrien

Well that doesn't necessarily mean they're pulling all the vocals..Are there any other vocals in the show besides the singing? (I guess I should ask that first). :P

The amplified vocal portions of the show amount to just a little over 3 minutes (not including entire sections with vocals intersperesed...three whole minutes of just talking and singing).

History Repeating (rock and roll song sung by a singer): 26 seconds

Singer welcomes the audience/characters ("great pleasure"): 2 seconds

Again: 2 seconds

Again: 3 seconds

Sit and have some tea: 4 seconds

Incoherent chattering in the midst of "OHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" and "It's off with your head!" (WTF? What the #### is this supposed to mean?): 11 seconds

"They each have their own little thing that they like": 2 seconds

"ALICE, GET READY FOR A MIND-BLOWING AFTERNOON!": 3 seconds

"BUUUUT...where are we!?": 3 seconds

"I swallowed one of these about two hours ago!": 2 seconds

"It's off with your head!": 2 seconds

"Can't somebody just tell me where we are!?!?!?!?": 2 seconds

(after tenor feature) "Do they always have to do that!?": 2 seconds

Entire ballad: 2 minutes, 4 seconds

Due to placing 6th at DCI Finals, Hopkins vows to never include amplified vocals again: Priceless

Edited by Hrothgar15

At this point, I'd almost rather see him add. If he's trying to see just how far he can go, then he should see just how far he can go. I'd honestly rather prefer to see that, actually.

That has to be balanced with how much you can clean, and what kind of "message" you want to send upstairs.

Too much clutter will drop the scores.

That has to be balanced with how much you can clean, and what kind of "message" you want to send upstairs.

Too much clutter will drop the scores.

Well of course. Naturally. But clutter and amped voice are two different labels, and while sometimes they can be referring to the same thing, that's not always the case. If you read my review from Indy, I agreed that the show was too cluttered and needed to be streamlined. I wasn't speaking about the addition of voice, though. I think it's possible to clean, without throwing out the qualities that make your show truly unique.

No corps adapts and changes better than the Cadets. There are some truly wonderful moments already on the field, but the show doesn't seem "complete" just yet. NEVER discount this corp's endgame! How many times have we seen them leap up 3-4 spots in the last 2 weeks of a season? And they're a HECK of lot closer to the top at this point... George is probably chuckling over this thread as we write... :)

We are -- adding Twlight Zone music and reeferences to the beginning of the show.

We are altering costuming to make sure who is who.

We are shortening breaks between segments and features to add to continuity

We are pulling some of the voice deemed unnecessary.

We have a new ending

and -- I think we have figured out a new, new ending that will actually have people talking ...

the question is ... when do we put it in? and how do we put it in?

:blink::blink::music::blink::blink::worthy::blink::blink:

But... but... what will we have to COMPLAIN about??? :P

Well of course. Naturally. But clutter and amped voice are two different labels, and while sometimes they can be referring to the same thing, that's not always the case. If you read my review from Indy, I agreed that the show was too cluttered and needed to be streamlined. I wasn't speaking about the addition of voice, though. I think it's possible to clean, without throwing out the qualities that make your show truly unique.

Don't infer that I'm necessarily speaking of amplified voice just because I'm not a fan of it...but having the drum line throw down without breaks/with less breaks (whether they be spoken word or from the horn line) is going to infuse more continiuity into the program.

Hop has lamented people not getting the show upstairs, or not seeing things they are "supposed" to. That implies that those things need to be stressed more in the design, so the cuts have to be made somewhere. :)