(The) Famous "Stripper"

A few years before your dad, Cindy. I was only a kid when they did it and what I remember the most about it was the solo part and not the strip! I guess I knew then where my priorities were going to be.

It was 1963. Legion Nationals were in Miami, and several of the inactive Reilly Raiders, including Bill Hooten, were with YR. It was my 1st year in Jr. corps and my father and I drove to YR's practice in Miami to visit his old Reilly friends.

The other "unique" pieces in that show were "The Limbo" and "Procession of the Sardar". Limbo used two flag poles and Procession had Cossack dancing.

Cindy, wasn't that your father's 1st year with Royals?

Robbie the next time we see each other ( probably Reilly show ) remind me to tell you a story Joe Smith told me when he was a Baltimore cop regarding Nick Rizzi. I don't know if you ever heard it, but it is funny.

Back to Skippy Groff. He also played a very nice solo on Till There Was You and wrote a great arrangement of By Love Possessed. The Reilly alumni corps also played it.

Joe

Edited by joesilver

A few years before your dad, Cindy. I was only a kid when they did it and what I remember the most about it was the solo part and not the strip! I guess I knew then where my priorities were going to be.

Robbie, this didn't have anything to do with the streaker(s) at the after-show party in Hempstead in '72 on the Hofstra campus, did it?!? The date would have been June 15th, if I recall... :rock:

Edited by K2SMA

Robbie the next time we see each other ( probably Reilly show ) remind me to tell you a story Joe Smith told me when he was a Baltimore cop regarding Nick Rizzi. I don't know if you ever heard it, but it is funny.

Back to Skippy Groff. He also played a very nice solo on Till There Was You and wrote a great arrangement of By Love Possessed. The Reilly alumni corps also played it.

Joe

I've heard so many stories from Joe Smith but I can't recall one about Nicki. I just saw him in Gettysburg this summer.

Skippy was a fine soloist with the Yankee Rebels and I hope I can keep the tradition going! It would be nice to play some of his charts.

Robbie, this didn't have anything to do with the streaker(s) at the after-show party in Hempstead in '72 on the Hofstra campus, did it?!? The date would have been June 15th, if I recall... :beer:

That was probably one of Stan's early appearances. b**bs

• 3 weeks later...
It was 1963. Legion Nationals were in Miami, and several of the inactive Reilly Raiders, including Bill Hooten, were with YR. It was my 1st year in Jr. corps and my father and I drove to YR's practice in Miami to visit his old Reilly friends.

The other "unique" pieces in that show were "The Limbo" and "Procession of the Sardar". Limbo used two flag poles and Procession had Cossack dancing.

Cindy, wasn't that your father's 1st year with Royals?

I do believe it may have been.

I do know that he traveled alot back then. He taught alot of corps at the same time beack then.

You most certainly were.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2042200D

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K4E92547D

Enjoy!

PS: Didn't the Alumni Corps do a lil of *The Stripper* (late 90s, maybe)?

Hey Nanci.........just caught this thread & wanted to let you know that we did a 'tribute' show in '90, which saluted senior corps against whom we competed in the Dream. Actually, when we reprised The Stripper it was actually Nick (a mellophone) who did the dance. It was agreat crowd pleaser.

Jim C

Archie '62-'95

and a whole bunch of other stuff