SA Review

If ego was the name of the game, i think their design team would've put out a package less controversial and more formulaic for winning. After all, wouldn't you WANT to win if it was for your ego rather than try to push the activity to a different direction and approach?

As always...my 23 cents.

I think that's probably true. Innovation, successful or not, can be a lot like jumping off the high cliff and hoping the sun doesn't melt your wax wings. It might be easier to put together a more formulaic show, but even that might not win, right?

That's why I sit up in the stands and go... "oooh....cooooool."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. I wasn't able to attend the SA show but did in past years when I taught band in TX. I have had several students march in drum corps (Blue Knights, Madison Scouts, and Guardsmen). I will admit that I was concerned when I first saw the Cadets show live. I was not offedend by the show. In fact, I enjoyed it even though it wasn't my favorite Cadet show of all-time. There are changes currently being made in the show. I can see how many people may have difficulty with this show. There are some things that I would prefer to see changed as well. For example, I would like to see more equipment work with the guard at certain times in the show. I realize that corps are not going to please everyone all of the time.

I sure wish that many corps would think about the "fans" more often when designing their shows.

Get over it folks, he didn't like the show. Not the end of the world.

I would suggest that the reviewer stop replying in this thread. Let your review stand my friend, let people complain to a brick wall.

Get over it folks, he didn't like the show. Not the end of the world.

I would suggest that the reviewer stop replying in this thread. Let your review stand my friend, let people complain to a brick wall. :worthy:

You want to know the best way to avoid a flame war and still voice your opinion?

Don't post right away.

Give yourself at least 30 seconds to let the initial emotions die down. I WOULD CHANGE THIS TO 30 MINUTES AS A RULE FOR WORK, FAMILY AND FRIENDS

Re-read the post you're responding to.

Respond using a balance of emotion and reason.

Knee-jerk posting is the best way to totally block your opinions from other people's perspectives. It also leads to knee-jerk responses and a vicious circle of negative reactions, glossing over what the true discussion is about.

Look before you leap. Think before you post. :beer:

--------------------

Kevin Gamin

DCP News Managing Editor

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com

editor@dcpnews.com

I DON'T REPLY TO ALOT OF POST BECAUSE I WAS FLAMED ALL THE TIME FOR USING CAPS. WHAT PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THAT I SUFFERED A BROKEN NECK IN THE MID 80'S AND ITS EASIER TO TYPE WITH CAPS ON. THE ONLY REASON I AM RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD IS IT HITS A SPOT. A GOOD REVIEWER WILL SPEAK HIS OF HER OPINIONS, THINK OF THE REVIEWERS FOR MOVIES AND RESTAURANTS, IS EVERY REVIEW WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR. I AM OLD CORP. 60'S TO 79' I MARCHED WITH ELDORADANS, BLUE KNIGHTS, ANAHEIM KINGSMEN AND BLUE DEVILS. EVERY CORP GAVE ME SOMETHING TO TAKE FORWARD IN THE ACTIVITY AS WELL AS IN LIFE. THIS REVIEWER HAS GIVEN US A TREMENDOUS REVIEW AT 1:00 IN THE MORNING AND I APPRECIATED HIS REVIEW. I WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY DISAPOINTED TO BE IN THE HORN LINE OF THE CADETS THIS YEAR DO TO THE FACT I WOULD HAD ALREADY MADE A COMMITMENT TO THE ORGANIZATION AND MY FELLOW PERFORMERS. THIS SHOW IS VERY DISTRACTING TO ALOT OF PEOPLE ME INCLUDED. I THINK EVERYONE NEEDS TO TAKE A PILL AND QUIT FLAMING EACH OTHER. YOU SHOULD ALL GO TO THE THREAD LIKES AND DISLIKES STARTED BY RICH IT SAYS IT ALL. WE DON'T NEED TO FLAME EACH OTHER TO PROVE YOUR BETTER IT JUST SHOWS YOUR LACK OF CONFIDENCE AND SELF ESTEM. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REVIEW

I’m new to drum corps this year (have a daughter in Blue Stars) and have really enjoyed the dicussion and reviews here. This is my first (and probably last!) substantive post, so I hope it adds an entertaining new point of view to be torn apart into bloody dripping shreds.

First, the Cadets. I'm probably the only person left on earth that has said absolutely nothing about this year's show, so stand back because it's my turn now. The San Antonio competition is the first time I’ve seen their show in its entirety, albeit on Season Pass. After reading, and reading, and reading, and reading..... etc. about it, I can now comfortably say I stand firmly on both sides of the issue. The panels in the back and the door remind me a lot of HS band marching, but if you strip away all the distractions, which the judges might actually be doing, you have a pretty conventional drill show... very busy, but not in left field. Just try watching the horn line and drum line only when they are playing, and the guard only when they have flags and rifles and you’ll see what I mean. The tea party with all the pink tables is nothing more than an extended drum break, and if you ignore the tables, you get pretty standard fare. The singing after the tea party I don’t like at all because it deemphasizes the corps as a whole and makes them nothing but a backup band for a very extended period. Overall I enjoyed the show but think the vocal in the second half should be reduced/eliminated and I wish there was some point in the show where the horn line would really cut loose and blow.

Next, the Blue Stars. It’s nice to see all the good will towards this corps in their first year back, and it’s really appreciated. :beer: [edit: missed this one--> :beer: ] One thing I wonder about though is if people realize how tough their horn book is. Sometimes I think that folks are taking in its easy-to-digest musicality and not noticing all the hairy parts that are going in to it. Also, specific to the venue, please note the Stars were one of the corps that actually managed to tune to the temperature difference. They’re paying attention to the business of making music!

Finally, the Cavies. After four years of watching high level marching band and this drum corps season (two live shows and a lot of internet streaming), the Cavaliers are the first drill ensemble I’ve ever seen with a show that makes me think of the corps as a single unit rather than a horn line, drum line, and guard performing simultaneously on the same field. The integration is amazing and for that alone, their show is remarkable. :worthy:

Drum corps is a fabulous activity and I’m enjoying every single show by every single corps that I see. I wish they all could be first, but each one can be proud of their results. Maybe some day I’ll have watched enough to actually be able to tell the difference between two corps ranked 3 or 4 places apart!

Edited by sdstar

I DON'T REPLY TO ALOT OF POST BECAUSE I WAS FLAMED ALL THE TIME FOR USING CAPS. WHAT PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THAT I SUFFERED A BROKEN NECK IN THE MID 80'S AND ITS EASIER TO TYPE WITH CAPS ON. THE ONLY REASON I AM RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD IS IT HITS A SPOT. A GOOD REVIEWER WILL SPEAK HIS OF HER OPINIONS, THINK OF THE REVIEWERS FOR MOVIES AND RESTAURANTS, IS EVERY REVIEW WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR. I AM OLD CORP. 60'S TO 79' I MARCHED WITH ELDORADANS, BLUE KNIGHTS, ANAHEIM KINGSMEN AND BLUE DEVILS. EVERY CORP GAVE ME SOMETHING TO TAKE FORWARD IN THE ACTIVITY AS WELL AS IN LIFE. THIS REVIEWER HAS GIVEN US A TREMENDOUS REVIEW AT 1:00 IN THE MORNING AND I APPRECIATED HIS REVIEW. I WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY DISAPOINTED TO BE IN THE HORN LINE OF THE CADETS THIS YEAR DO TO THE FACT I WOULD HAD ALREADY MADE A COMMITMENT TO THE ORGANIZATION AND MY FELLOW PERFORMERS. THIS SHOW IS VERY DISTRACTING TO ALOT OF PEOPLE ME INCLUDED. I THINK EVERYONE NEEDS TO TAKE A PILL AND QUIT FLAMING EACH OTHER. YOU SHOULD ALL GO TO THE THREAD LIKES AND DISLIKES STARTED BY RICH IT SAYS IT ALL. WE DON'T NEED TO FLAME EACH OTHER TO PROVE YOUR BETTER IT JUST SHOWS YOUR LACK OF CONFIDENCE AND SELF ESTEM. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REVIEW

Thanks for posting! Good stuff.

Have you considered typing in all lowercase? It's a bit easier on the eyes and most people aren't too hung up on proper capitalization. Just a thought... I'll read your posts any way you submit them. ^OO^

"What I want to know is why would you spend thousands of dollars to march that?"

This seems pretty insulting to me...

Also in your review, you focus more on the Cadets as an organization, where they are going, where they have been etc. than you do the show they did last night.

it is insulting - but pointing out so makes us "Cadets Borg" which is also quite insulting - meaning we can't think for ourselves - we are a like-minded "collective hive" - not even individuals with a brain ya know!

it is insulting - but pointing out so makes us "Cadets Borg" which is also quite insulting - meaning we can't think for ourselves - we are a like-minded "collective hive" - not even individuals with a brain ya know!

You have a brain,a mighty fine one (thanks for this site) but its just been injected with maroon and gold serum and it affects your logic and reason!! b**bs

~G~

Do they like it? I'd be curious to know how the rank and file kids, those behind the "stars", feel about the production. I think if I were one of those people whose efforts are being lost to the spectacle up front, and especially if I'd marched in the corps last year, I'd be a little bummed that the design is so misguided that it's put them in fifth place coming off a championship. The corps staff have a responsibility to provide a product that will serve the MEMBERS well, not their own egos! In a nutshell, that's what's wrong with this year's Cadets program imho; it's more about Hopkins' ego and his I'm-smarter-and-way-more-cerebral-than-the-rest-of-you attitude than about designing a top-notch vehicle for the rest of the members. Okay, flame away (zipping asbestos suit)!

Disclaimer: I loved last year's Cadets show, thought it deserved to win, and was excited about their show this year when it was announced, so don't put me in the Cadet-hater category automatically!

I've talked to a few members about the show, and they seem to buy into the concept. The ones I've talked to don't even really see the big deal about the show and talk mostly about working hard and putting the best possible show on the field.

It seems to me that people only want to hear their own opinion reenforced, and everything else is stupid. These people say "everyone's entitled to their own opinion", but what they mean is "everyone's entitled to their own opinion, as long as I like it". Kinda sad, really. If you don't like an opinion, no one is forcing you to respond to it. Besides, I'm gonna say that there is a 99.99999999999999% chance that you are not going to change there opinion anyways.