SA Review

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the person that said they wondered if the current members had a complete understanding of what is going on before they signed on this summer.
As you or any other former marching member should know people go to their corps of choice not because of the show they will perform but for the experience itself. The Cadets experience is bigger then one show and it is bigger then any individual performer. Besides, after they put their hearts and souls into a season they personally become part of that show and love it no matter what you (general) think. To even suggest that they could be regretful at this point for signing on with the Cadets is beyond belief. It's not what it's all about and you, my friend, know it.

As you or any other former marching member should know people go to their corps of choice not because of the show they will perform but for the experience itself. The Cadets experience is bigger then one show and it is bigger then any individual performer. Besides, after they put their hearts and souls into a season they personally become part of that show and love it no matter what you (general) think. To even suggest that they could be regretful at this point for signing on with the Cadets is beyond belief. It's not what it's all about and you, my friend, know it.

Fair enough, i agree. I, simply put and like most of those who have said things negative about their show this year are dissapointed that the management of the corps is not giving them a chance to compete for a title. As my wife said to me earlier, before seeing any shows this year, and based off last year, it should've been a 3 or 4 corps race for the title with the Cadets defending the championship. As a Spurs fan, if coach Pop takes out Tim Duncan during all of the playoffs because he feels like trying something new, then it robs the Spurs of what they could accomplish. I think that is my main point no matter how inflamed it may have sounded. Maybe the members don't regret their membership, they of course are proud, but maybe the fans and the public do and eventually that hurts in recruiting and other areas. I appreciate your passion and think that this has been a good discussion.

W. perkins

Mr. Perkins, I appreciate the review, and I can certainly tell that your heart is in the right place. We have some very similar thoughts on the season, and I want to say that I completely respect what you have to say. That said (there's that phrase again), I would take the side of some of the Cadets supporters in this thread. The kids who march Cadets this year do so because that's what they chose. I'm sure that they knew what they were getting into, and the fact that they chose to march where they did suggests to me that perhaps they don't feel like they're being cheated. Perhaps they even enjoy the product? I have no problem with someone speaking their opinion, but I've always been a stickler that any reviewer can only speak for themselves, and no one eles. I would have appreciated a few more words on the Cadets show that night itself, and how it made you feel, with the recognition that not everyone considers this show blasphemous to the activity.

Anyway, that's my two cents in this debate. Again, thank you very much for the review. I enjoyed it!

I appreciate your passion and think that this has been a good discussion.

W. perkins

Agreed!

fwiw- I completely understand what your wife said. I would have thought the same thing. So, based on that AND you're a Spurs fan, hmm, maybe you're not half bad after all. :P

Good Day!

-Barbara

Funny, I used to think the same thing about kids who bust their butts and pay good money to march in a corps that has no chance in #### of even making the top group? You marched what BK, you couldn't possibly have done that for placement purposes. Did that take away from your overall experience? I've come to realize that it does not.

I didn't care for their (Cadets) show this year as much as past years. I too was distracted by the characters. But to say the members were cheated....That's just wrong.

I know lots of people who've marched Cadets over the years (from the early 80's to present) including my daughter and believe me she never felt CHEATED (and she aged out with the '04 show b**bs ). To even march with the Cadets is an honor. I'm guessing you can't really relate to that. So, I'll just chalk your silly remark of being cheated up to ignorance.

btw- thanks for taking the time to write a review for those of us unable to be in Texas.

Marching with the Cadets USED to be an honor, now it's a joke. Be glad your daughter aged out in 04 when it WAS still an honor. Excellent review, and I agree with EVERY coment made about The Cadets Marching Band

This is the same whether you march the 1st place division I corps, or the last place division III corps. Members march for the drum corps experience, period. With that said, I think that with the direction the Cadets have gone in the last few years has been indication of where they will go in the future, and I think the members knew EXACTLY what they were getting into. With that said, if you'd rather march in a dog an pony show than a drum corps, more power to you . Enjoy your 18th place in 3 years.

18th place? Their show design might not be drum corpsesque, but as long as they have the talent....they'll never be 18th

i thought your review was tasteful. however, the way you acted at the show was very distasteful. you and your friend managed to trash the cadets through the entire show, distracting those around you. Then when they were leaving you managed to yell, "you suck." Well, it was either you or the '81 scouts alum you were with. you both acted like children, especially when you offended everyone around you and argued with the singers moms on your right to share your opinion. then when you made more distateful comments about the girl after her interview was more class. You were the only one in the stands i saw react that way. most of us show nonsupport by staying seated. I was very disapointed to have marched in the same corp as the gentleman you were with, and i have never said that about a madison alum.

To some of you people -

How dare you criticize this person for his opinion. IT'S an opinion and he's entitled to it! You ask for a review, but it's a conditional request? It has to fit perfectly into your depiction of a corps? That's childish and ridiculous. If you do not agree with his review of the show then stop reading it and go on about your day.

I'm sorry that I had to be so harsh, but a person's review should NEVER be bashed... ever!