SA Review

Phantom- They were proof tonight that all the bunnies or narrations can not hold a candle to a GREAT DRUM CORPS SHOW!!! This was flat out the best hornline of the night and the ballad Ave Maria was unreal!! I had heard that the drill was not good, but I say that this is the best drill I have seen them march since the early 90's. I think that they have the tools to win the world title. I think the book and the drill are more than demanding enough to get them there. They have to continue to clean the visual side of the game and the guard must perform a little stronger. But, ladies and gentleman the Regiment are a dark horse to win the title!!!

Where we were sitting, Phantom received no more applause after their show than anyone else in the top 6. They received a lot of applause when they were announced, seeing as they have a huge TX connection, but not a ton of applause for the show in comparison to the other top corps.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where we were sitting, Phantom received no more applause after their show than anyone else in the top 6. They received a lot of applause when they were announced, seeing as they have a huge TX connection, but not a ton of applause for the show in comparison to the other top corps.

Interesting, because everyone around me was going ga ga after they played, and I was one of them!! :rock:

W. Perkins

BK '97 '98

This is just a simple question so not trying to add to the whole flame throwing contest...but when a kid auditions for a corps, say the Cadets, do they have the opportunity to find out the concept of the show and design before they sign on the dotted line and their personal checks? Kids often pick corps with history of award winning design teams like the Cadets have historically been.

When these kids " sign on the bottom line ", there is no guarantee that the show design will be to their personal liking. There is no guarantee the kid will get a Title. There is also no guarantee to the show design staff that the kid they select out of many others will bring the show design to it's best performed and executed level either......... my guess, the Cadets may have paid a little bit of price for last year's show THIS year, because their talent pool may not have been as strong despite last year's title due to the large degree of audience disfavor that was out there last year. But that's just a hunch, and I have nothing solid to base that pure speculation on. But after viewing the Cadets a few times this year, it seems they are just a small tad down from last year in overall Corps marching member talent compared to last year's Corps member talent that brought the Corps home a DCI Championship.

Edited by X DM

my guess, the Cadets may have paid a little bit of price for last year's show THIS year, because their talent pool may not have been as strong despite last year's title due to the large degree of audience disfavor that was out there last year.

I doubt that especially coming off a championship year. People here may not like the Cadets but the kids sure do. Maybe what you're seeing is one group of talented performers not meshing as well as an equally talented group from last year. Good chemistry within a corps projects onto the field. Besides the one thing I've read over and over is how much talent this group has, no?

Edited by IRMO

Let's not overestimate it either. Its not about us in our own little world sitting behind a computer.

Speak for yourself. My mind, my butt, my opinions, praise, dislikes and my wallet are out in the real world, all over the country at least a dozen times, and every single finals since 1979, I dwell in the real world not just an avid passer by who hangs out on a computer for reality.

~G~

Speak for yourself. My mind, my butt, my opinions, praise, dislikes and my wallet are out in the real world, all over the country at least a dozen times, and every single finals since 1979, I dwell in the real world not just an avid passer by who hangs out on a computer for reality.

~G~

Yes. . .all hail, GMichael. :rock:

Now, back to my point. What they are doing out on the field and their summer experience is not about YOU (or any of the rest of us for that matter) no matter how many shows you go to, or will go to. . .even then, it still will not be about you.

I would venture to say some of the most disliked shows in the history of the activity had members who had wonderful summer experiences.

By the by, did you march with Mike Howard, Trey O'Dell, and or Kevin (Blond Bass Drummer , can't think of last name?) Mike's dad was one of my high school band directors and Trey techs with us at the school I teach at and Kevin teched for us at the school I formerly taught with. I also taught with Mark Waymire and many of the Scouts current staff. They are all great guys and brilliant minds. I think that Mark is one of the most creative people I have ever met in my life.

Wes P.

I just missed those guys as my first year was '03. Mike Howard was around as the bass tech that summer though. Very cool guy. Unfortunetely haven't spoken to any of those guys since the staff change.

Why did you feel the need to post this? I guess you don't like Phantom very much?

Why did you feel the need to post this? I guess you don't like Phantom very much?

Not at all. . .you read too much into things.

I was only pointing out that in a huge place like a regional (or Finals from what I hear) you can't gauge the entire audience's response to a show but more or less those around you or in your section.

I think Phantom has a wonderful music presentation.

<**> Yelling any negative thing before during or after a show is a COMPLETE lack of CLASS. He came form Madison, must be disgruntled with this years cymbaless 11th place at best production. Maybe they should add a singer???? Be very thankfull your loudmouth friend did not sit next to me. I wouldn't have been very cordial. Loudmouths need to be silenced. I hope he felt like a REAL man berating a person to their parents just because he doesn't like what she chose to do with her summer. You don't have to like any corps but you have no right to vocally criticise them at THEIR show. Next time instead of "hiding" in the stands and yelling, be a bigboy and go up to the person and voice your UNWANTED opinion.