SA Review

"What I want to know is why would you spend thousands of dollars to march that?"

This seems pretty insulting to me...

Cadets- I'm not going to pull any punches, so if you are a Cadets lover and you don't want to be offended look away now!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't care for the style of this show....maybe it's my ignorance?
Was I replying to you or questioning your opinion? No.

I too don't care for this show but if you had read what I was responding to instead of jumping to conclusions you'd have known that, right? :)

Look again my friend, I think that this corps is very talented as I pointed out that is why they are being cheated. They are not being cheated by their performances they are cheated by the design that was given to them.

You can say this about all the top echelon corps. Often it is the design that keeps them from winnnig because the talent levels are very, very similar. This isn't unique nor will it change. No matter if you have Albert the Alligator on the field or just do a great drum corps show, it is the programming that will separate Cavies, BD, Cadets, Bluecoats in addition to the nature of the performance of the program on any given night.

Last night, the Cavies obviously had a great performance as inidicated by the GE Visual score, but it is their design that also led to them being so high in repetoire effectiveness.

It was a decent review. But in my opinion, the reviewer lost a large degree of credibility by not confining his review to what he witnessed solely on that field. He crossed the line when he said Cadets members were" cheated ' in their choice of Corps to select in the off season. That's THEIR choice...... THEIR money...... not the reviewers money to be " cheated " out of. The reviewer is entitled to dislike the Cadets show this year and to share that opinion with his readers.. He is not entitled however to tell parents and kids how to spend THEIR time and Money though. And then tell the kids " they were cheated ". "Cheated " is a synonym for fraud and deceit. That's over the line in my view. It's THEIR choice afterall. And the fact these kids LIKE the Cadets theme and THEIR choice of Corps is frankly their business, not his. But that's just my frank opinion too here

Edited by X DM

I'd have paid millions for the experience I got and i would not have traded to marh anywhere else!!!

EXACTLY!! Look I don't mean to question you or anyone else who does not like this show. I'm on the same page.

However...

When you post "What I want to know is why would you spend thousands of dollars to march that?" You crossed the line, imo. It made me question why you would even think that the members of the '06 Cadets wouldn't feel as you did about your own corps experience.

And, the cheated remark didn't help either. :beer:

And then tell the kids " they were cheated ". "Cheated " is a synonym for fraud and deceit.

This is just a simple question so not trying to add to the whole flame throwing contest...but when a kid auditions for a corps, say the Cadets, do they have the opportunity to find out the concept of the show and design before they sign on the dotted line and their personal checks? Kids often pick corps with history of award winning design teams like the Cadets have historically been.

Edited by stockman365

Was I replying to you or questioning your opinion? No.

I too don't care for this show but if you had read what I was responding to instead of jumping to conclusions you'd have known that, right? :)

It is an open forum. My assumption is that if you wanted a private conversation, you would have gone a different route. So don't jump on me for joining in on this public discourse. Use your email, or pm him if you don't want to talk about it.

I wasn't upset by you liking or not liking the show. I thought I would try to find out what made you call him ignorant on this issue. It seemed to me that his struggling through 2 seasons with a corps that didn't break past, what, 6th?, makes him qualified to make statements about corps that are having a hard time. Maybe I didn't understand what he said, but I didn't get that he was trying to insult you or your child. It might be a long jump from "I didn't like this show" to "why did they waste the money on it?" but I saw an exaggerated point for what it was.

relax.

And the fact these kids LIKE the Cadets theme...

Do they like it? I'd be curious to know how the rank and file kids, those behind the "stars", feel about the production. I think if I were one of those people whose efforts are being lost to the spectacle up front, and especially if I'd marched in the corps last year, I'd be a little bummed that the design is so misguided that it's put them in fifth place coming off a championship. The corps staff have a responsibility to provide a product that will serve the MEMBERS well, not their own egos! In a nutshell, that's what's wrong with this year's Cadets program imho; it's more about Hopkins' ego and his I'm-smarter-and-way-more-cerebral-than-the-rest-of-you attitude than about designing a top-notch vehicle for the rest of the members. Okay, flame away (zipping asbestos suit)!

Disclaimer: I loved last year's Cadets show, thought it deserved to win, and was excited about their show this year when it was announced, so don't put me in the Cadet-hater category automatically!

Do they like it? I'd be curious to know how the rank and file kids, those behind the "stars", feel about the production. I think if I were one of those people whose efforts are being lost to the spectacle up front, and especially if I'd marched in the corps last year, I'd be a little bummed that the design is so misguided that it's put them in fifth place coming off a championship. The corps staff have a responsibility to provide a product that will serve the MEMBERS well, not their own egos! In a nutshell, that's what's wrong with this year's Cadets program imho; it's more about Hopkins' ego and his I'm-smarter-and-way-more-cerebral-than-the-rest-of-you attitude than about designing a top-notch vehicle for the rest of the members. Okay, flame away (zipping asbestos suit)!

Disclaimer: I loved last year's Cadets show, thought it deserved to win, and was excited about their show this year when it was announced, so don't put me in the Cadet-hater category automatically!

Nevertheless, only one corps wins the title and i'm pretty sure the cadets' members aren't bemoaning their placement right now. They will continue to work hard (as all corps do) to try to max out their performance come Madison. Shoot, fifth place is no disaster and i imagine they might be sitting a little higher in two weeks time.

If ego was the name of the game, i think their design team would've put out a package less controversial and more formulaic for winning. After all, wouldn't you WANT to win if it was for your ego rather than try to push the activity to a different direction and approach?

As always...my 23 cents.