SA Review

<**> Yelling any negative thing before during or after a show is a COMPLETE lack of CLASS. He came form Madison, must be disgruntled with this years cymbaless 11th place at best production. Maybe they should add a singer???? Be very thankfull your loudmouth friend did not sit next to me. I wouldn't have been very cordial. Loudmouths need to be silenced. I hope he felt like a REAL man berating a person to their parents just because he doesn't like what she chose to do with her summer. You don't have to like any corps but you have no right to vocally criticise them at THEIR show. Next time instead of "hiding" in the stands and yelling, be a bigboy and go up to the person and voice your UNWANTED opinion.

And I hope they press charges and you spend jail time if you did. Yelling anything negative ?? classless.....silencing loudmouths ?? Against the law. Get a clue dude.

~G~

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<**> Yelling any negative thing before during or after a show is a COMPLETE lack of CLASS. He came form Madison, must be disgruntled with this years cymbaless 11th place at best production. Maybe they should add a singer???? Be very thankfull your loudmouth friend did not sit next to me. I wouldn't have been very cordial. Loudmouths need to be silenced. I hope he felt like a REAL man berating a person to their parents just because he doesn't like what she chose to do with her summer. You don't have to like any corps but you have no right to vocally criticise them at THEIR show. Next time instead of "hiding" in the stands and yelling, be a bigboy and go up to the person and voice your UNWANTED opinion.

My friend happens to be a mentor, my old band director and my great friend. He once again as I said said "HOPKINS, you suck, not Cadets you suck or Singer you suck or whatever. I say this again, to point out that the lady referenced was not singled out or chewed out or whatever. It was a small situation. Would things have been done differently on a different day? I'm sure, but you and your opinion have no class either. How classless is it to bash a great organization that he marched? Be glad he did not sit next to me. What would you have punched him or argued or what? That's the definition of class? Dude have you ever been to an event where people do not have varying opinions on things? This whole situation got blown way out of porportion. Woodster and me worked out the specifics and it has absolutly nothing to do with you. I almost feel like your posting on a dead situation but you want to stir it up? It's ok man, it was a great show and all that were there enjoyed it. Music evokes passion and stirs emotion. The Cadets, Scouts and all other corps are great performers whether or not we like the product being put on the field. Sometimes our emotions get the best of us, but that's life. Great luck to all the corps this summer and a safe return home to all!!!

Wes Perkins

Yes, my comments brought out some intense feelings as I am sick of cowards hiding in the stands berating anybody. I want to point out that my Scouts comment is meant to be tongue in cheek just to bring out a fire from people. See how it feels when people attack something or someone you like? I actually enjoy the Scouts production this year. I also find it funny that the majority of these show reviews have to include the words" If you like so and so don't read this." If your doing a review do a review, if your giving detracting statements meant to demean then don't call it a review, call it a stab. I am not trying to stir up an old thread but am tired of the cowards of corpsdom. Take your opions to the director himself face to face. All this yelling reminds me of people blasting the convience store clerk for the price of gas. ( but do it over a phone so she won't see who you are). Shows are meant for enjoyment, go enjoy them...........

Yes, my comments brought out some intense feelings as I am sick of cowards hiding in the stands berating anybody.

How are they cowards "hiding in the stands" ? THey are out in the open, the real world voicing their displeasure ( I dont agree, bit it is their right)

They arent behind a computer screen, anonymous, randomly attacking then hiding, right ??

No matter what, they win if you become physical, as classless as the things they say might be, you are lower for getting violent.

~G~

Fair enough, i agree. I, simply put and like most of those who have said things negative about their show this year are dissapointed that the management of the corps is not giving them a chance to compete for a title. As my wife said to me earlier, before seeing any shows this year, and based off last year, it should've been a 3 or 4 corps race for the title with the Cadets defending the championship. As a Spurs fan, if coach Pop takes out Tim Duncan during all of the playoffs because he feels like trying something new, then it robs the Spurs of what they could accomplish. I think that is my main point no matter how inflamed it may have sounded. Maybe the members don't regret their membership, they of course are proud, but maybe the fans and the public do and eventually that hurts in recruiting and other areas. I appreciate your passion and think that this has been a good discussion.

W. perkins

One thing real quick. Does anyone actually think Hop was sitting at his desk thinking, "I'll program a show that doesn't have a great chance of competing for the title this year." No. The show has a ton of really really cool ideas. Some of them haven't come across as well as they had hoped for and they are changing the show around now to help fix that. Either way, the design team was definetly thinking of giving the members the best show possible.

One thing real quick. Does anyone actually think Hop was sitting at his desk thinking, "I'll program a show that doesn't have a great chance of competing for the title this year." No. The show has a ton of really really cool ideas. Some of them haven't come across as well as they had hoped for and they are changing the show around now to help fix that. Either way, the design team was definetly thinking of giving the members the best show possible.

Agreed. I jsut think as many people do that the cool ideas do not belong in drum corps that's all. It's what I thought the night I saw them and I was not influenced by anyones opinion before I went to the show. But your rightI know th intentions were good, it just seems that with so many great Cadets shows over the years they just went a little overboard this year. I have talked to many of my buddies that said they loved it. So the Cadets will continue to perform well cause they always do and I will just not cue this one up on the DVD player at the end of the year. I will continue to cue the 93, 97, 98, 00, 01 and 02 shows. Great stuff.

W. Perkins

Yes, my comments brought out some intense feelings as I am sick of cowards hiding in the stands berating anybody. I want to point out that my Scouts comment is meant to be tongue in cheek just to bring out a fire from people. See how it feels when people attack something or someone you like? I actually enjoy the Scouts production this year. I also find it funny that the majority of these show reviews have to include the words" If you like so and so don't read this." If your doing a review do a review, if your giving detracting statements meant to demean then don't call it a review, call it a stab. I am not trying to stir up an old thread but am tired of the cowards of corpsdom. Take your opions to the director himself face to face. All this yelling reminds me of people blasting the convience store clerk for the price of gas. ( but do it over a phone so she won't see who you are). Shows are meant for enjoyment, go enjoy them...........

By the way I should point out that this guy sent me a PM that was not only hateful, but also quasi threatening. I have no need for violence in my life and i very much enjoyed the drum corps show this year. Gas Station clerks are cool and I never complain about gas prices. I did however trade in my SUV for a small convertable. Not a mid-life crises, just a smart business descion. B)

W. Perkins

After seeing an internet streamed performance of the controversial Cadets, I see all the likes and dislikes being argued. I agree with the dislikes of singing/vocals in drum corps period and I also agree that the hornline and percussion are amazing. I was very impressed. The colorguard has the most challenging job in this whole design. They become not only colorguard, but actors/actresses as well with speaking roles. That has got to be very demanding. Learning lines and work as well as performing it all. I give them huge props.

Overall I can't say I LOVE this show but I can say that I do not hate it. They fall to pretty much 5th place in my rating. (Where they stand as of San Antonio)

I understand the controversy, but they really arent going to contend for first IMO and I think the judges are very hestitant to give them a title which is why they are not up neck in neck with Cavies and Blue Devils.

But I guess I can't really say anything since the live version is notoriously better than the flimed version.

In short thats my opinion, flame if you like.

I doubt that especially coming off a championship year. People here may not like the Cadets but the kids sure do. Maybe what you're seeing is one group of talented performers not meshing as well as an equally talented group from last year. Good chemistry within a corps projects onto the field. Besides the one thing I've read over and over is how much talent this group has, no?

I don't see this Corps as talented as last years despite the pre season buzz or early season buzz to the contrary. The Corps is very talented, don't get me wrong. But their feet and coverage are nowhere near as clean as last year, and their Brass line is not quite as strong. They do have the talent in the Guard though. Their guard 's equipment work is first rate despite the controversial theatrics they've engaged in with portions of the show.

Edited by X DM