Arnold, MD show July22nd

It was a good show, IMO. Yes, we had a lot of small-er corps in the show. However, everyone who I did hear did a fantastic job. From the time I actually got there until I left was a blast. I feel sorry for you, MCL I remember hearing parts of your show, but the utter confusion in our camp with getting everything cleared until we got doused on. With what I heard, I enjoyed. Kudos for returning to the field and going over it from the top. Even though I admit I left during the storm. Back to overall, do I think the crowd could've been larger? Yeah, but I'm happy with what sized crowd we got, especially with the problems given by the weather. Do I think that the advertisement should've been more wide scaled? Indeed, but if we have another show, it'll be better advertised and a bigger crowd will embark on it. I wish to thank everyone, on behalf of myself and Shenandoah Sound, who did appear at the show for attending and/or performing, even if I did not meet you face to face. See you all at Ro-Cha-Cha.

Edited by Percussion827

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good show, IMO. Yes, we had a lot of small-er corps in the show. However, everyone who I did hear did a fantastic job.

thank you! i enjoyed the smaller corps vibe to the show...and batman swiss' comment was right on. :blink:

i didn't hear shenendoah or MVE really as we were warming up and then getting hydrated/focused at the gate, respectively.

our show had its ups/downs, but as a whole, it was a good run - the 2nd one that is! it was the first time in my drum corps career that i had to ever stop a performance partway and tell everyone to stop performing and to get off the field. that was odd, but i'm glad we got to do the show again, and finish it the 2nd time. its a hard show that needs a serious cleaning, but we enjoy performing it and it seemed as the audience enjoyed it as well. thank you!

sun/sky - i was at the bus and then walking to equipment truck to help load before retreat...what i saw/heard from behind the field and from the crowd's reaction were 2 good, fan-friendly performances. sorry i can't really comment more.

CV - i was at the practice field loading the truck. i neither saw nor heard any of what i was told is a very entertaining show. see you in 2 weeks in rockmart!

hurcs - i watched about 1/2 of the show when i came back for DM retreat. their show looked and sounded great. the guard was fantastic and coped well with the rainy conditions/wet equipment...some drops during the big tosses, but any drops were picked up quickly and recovery was fast - congrats! the hornline and drumline sounded good and the 'JC superstar' music was well-known by most in the crowd. looking forward to seeing it again at finals.

marines - awesome. just awesome. old school military corps at its finest. the 'rent' song was suprising! ^0^ a solid show, as always.

we all lined up for DM retreat - it was nice meeting DMs from sun and sky...and then we marched forward to what few people we left and then fran told us the scores had been announced and just to pick up our trophies. by the way, it had been pouring rain since the hurcs show, so we were all quite wet. it was nice to get back on the bus and change/get warm.

thanks to all who helped out with the show - it could've went terribly wrong with the rain/lightning, but it all went off well. thanks also to CV, shenendoah, and any other corps who helped give us some water before/after the show.

see you all down the road!

cheers! :mmm:

-DM|MD

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I think that it is a real shame for people to dismiss this show as a bad show just because it consisted mainly of the smaller corps. We were all out in the sun, heat, humidity, rain, thunder and lightning all day and night. We were all trying to put out the best show we could, even if it was for a small crowd.

I actually believe that this show was probably more entertaining than the Lewisburg show, and I will tell you why. Lewisburg had all the 'big boys', who are all fighting for the top spots in finals. They know, as do the fans, that they will be on the field that last Sunday night. I think that the small corps show was more entertaining because we are all fighting tooth and nail for those last few finals spots. We are all pouring our hearts and souls into this fight, and you can see that passion in each of our corps. I'm not saying that the larger corps are not putting 110% in, just that it's a little easier for them overall.

Another point is that this show was hard for everybody. The weather conditions were just awful, and it was a long drive for everyone as well. But we all tried our hardest, and when that storm hit, we didn't give up for the day. I think everyone in that stadium wanted to keep pushing and finish the show. It's not fair to give such a harsh review to our corps when we tried our ****dest to put on the best show we could under the circumstances.

And if I recall, there were members from several corps who stood and sat in that pouring rain to watch the Marine Corps entire performance. We stood out there to pay our respect to our collegues, and it is a sad day when that respect cannot be returned.

~BatmanSwiss

We all work hard. It's not easy chasing or being chased as a 'Big Boy' as you call it. The crowd response is like a narcotic. THAT is why I march.

I don't remember a show day in my history with CV where we were hit by three different thunderstorms. Once at rehearsal, once during show warmup, and then another at the end of the night loading the trailers. :) All in all, a great event - one made so by our hosts, Shenandoah Sound and the local high school band boosters that took care of us very well. Congrats to the Hurricanes for the win for the night. From what I saw for a brief time at your afternoon rehearsal, you certainly earned it. A class act as always.

Now off to go clear my car of all soggy equipment, clothing, and other debris.......

Another point is that this show was hard for everybody. The weather conditions were just awful, and it was a long drive for everyone as well. But we all tried our hardest, and when that storm hit, we didn't give up for the day. I think everyone in that stadium wanted to keep pushing and finish the show.

I completely agree, Heather. I tip my hat to all of the performers, and fans, who stuck it out Saturday night under some very rough weather conditions. I mean, that freakin' rain was almost biblical in proportions at times, and the humidity level all day was off the charts, even by Maryland standards. The Shenandoah Sound people ran a good show, despite the conditions and the fact that they only had a limited amount of time to get this show off the ground at a different venue.

Was this the "perfect" drum corps show? No, it wasn't. But you know something? Seeing the corps in the Maryland show give their all, after what they had to put up with that day, is, to me, in many ways what drum corps is all about.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Don't know how you people do this. Takes a lot of fortitude and love of the activity.

There's a big world out there and we love to travel!

It's always fun putting CV on the road. Never a dull moment.

Hey Fran, I think we ate dinner next to you at the Rib/Steak place. We were the second people in the dining room at 5PM and my girlfriend was the one full of beers and marveling at how your entourage knew stuff about 8 particular counts played in 1978. She's learning.

Edited by Jeorby

I should add that I myself did not perform last night, so I cannot say anything about the effort put out by anyone. I can say that I was not even that impressed with our performance. OK, I did miss one corps because I was out back on the phone, but as far as what I did see, come on folks. I do not have a problem with small corps if they put out a decent product, and a lot of what I saw last night was not even close. If the rain causes fazing, bad horn angles, and extreme intonation problems, then I guess I am wrong. That first group was RIDICULOUS. Ohhh, everyone had a great time with it because it was fun and you didn't have to actually think about it to get it, but it was terrible! There is a reason I don't normally follow DCA. If last night was any indication, I will continue as such.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I think that it is a real shame for people to dismiss this show as a bad show just because it consisted mainly of the smaller corps. We were all out in the sun, heat, humidity, rain, thunder and lightning all day and night. We were all trying to put out the best show we could, even if it was for a small crowd.

I actually believe that this show was probably more entertaining than the Lewisburg show, and I will tell you why. Lewisburg had all the 'big boys', who are all fighting for the top spots in finals. They know, as do the fans, that they will be on the field that last Sunday night. I think that the small corps show was more entertaining because we are all fighting tooth and nail for those last few finals spots. We are all pouring our hearts and souls into this fight, and you can see that passion in each of our corps. I'm not saying that the larger corps are not putting 110% in, just that it's a little easier for them overall.

Another point is that this show was hard for everybody. The weather conditions were just awful, and it was a long drive for everyone as well. But we all tried our hardest, and when that storm hit, we didn't give up for the day. I think everyone in that stadium wanted to keep pushing and finish the show. It's not fair to give such a harsh review to our corps when we tried our ****dest to put on the best show we could under the circumstances.

And if I recall, there were members from several corps who stood and sat in that pouring rain to watch the Marine Corps entire performance. We stood out there to pay our respect to our collegues, and it is a sad day when that respect cannot be returned.

~BatmanSwiss

having been at Lewisburg, I hate to tell you, but the best crowd reaction of the night went to the Cabs Alumni Corps. They own that stadium.

I should add that I myself did not perform last night, so I cannot say anything about the effort put out by anyone. I can say that I was not even that impressed with our performance. OK, I did miss one corps because I was out back on the phone, but as far as what I did see, come on folks. I do not have a problem with small corps if they put out a decent product, and a lot of what I saw last night was not even close. If the rain causes fazing, bad horn angles, and extreme intonation problems, then I guess I am wrong. That first group was RIDICULOUS. Ohhh, everyone had a great time with it because it was fun and you didn't have to actually think about it to get it, but it was terrible! There is a reason I don't normally follow DCA. If last night was any indication, I will continue as such.

wow. it's a shame because normally I love seeing guys i marched with in DCA Corps in the Marines.

on the plus side, the Cadets singers need a groupie, so you have a place to be!