Review: Red River Thunder

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that on the stream Saturday night and didn't like it at all! Yes, it is a ripoff of the Vanguard yell, and it messes up an otherwise nice moment in Bloo's show. I hope it's just a Texas thing and doesn't stick for the rest of the season. Besides, yelling a short "Bloo" just doesn't work -- it's got to be long and sustained (Bloooooooooooooooooooooo!) to be the real Bloooo! Bloo fans(?) who are doing this, do your corps a favor and stop. It's pretty cheesy. <**>

It's not a rip off of the the Vanguard yell.

If you knew your corps history, you'd know that the Bluecoats were one of the last corps (if not THE last) to use an on field vocal prior to shows in the old days. Well not that old, we still did it in the early 90s.

After the corps marched on the field, the DM would call "Dress, Center, Dress" the horn line would snap their horns up and the corps would adjust themselves in the opening set.

When the announcer would ask the DM if the corps is ready, the DM would say "Corps, Ready, Front" to which the hornline would snap their horns down and say "Blue." Then the DM would salute and start the show.

-T.

It's not a rip off of the the Vanguard yell.

If you knew your corps history, you'd know that the Bluecoats were one of the last corps (if not THE last) to use an on field vocal prior to shows in the old days. Well not that old, we still did it in the early 90s.

After the corps marched on the field, the DM would call "Dress, Center, Dress" the horn line would snap their horns up and the corps would adjust themselves in the opening set.

When the announcer would ask the DM if the corps is ready, the DM would say "Corps, Ready, Front" to which the hornline would snap their horns down and say "Blue." Then the DM would salute and start the show.

-T.

I'm not familiar with that -- didn't know drum corps existed until 1998, so I'm a relative newbie!

Did you hear what we were talking about, though? It really stood out on the stream Saturday night, and apparently someone did it in Denton too. I'll assume it was done at the same place in the show (since I wasn't in Denton I can't be sure, but it seems logical that it was since someone commented on it from that show). This yell is a couple of guys in the crowd, a short staccato kind of "Blue", near the end of the show during a slight pause in the company front drill. It's in a terrible place, kind of broke the mood for me on the stream, and it's way too Vanguard-yell-clone. I like the sound of what you described above (and I love the "Bloooooo... at the beginning and ending of the corps' performance), but it's nothing like what happened at the last couple of shows. To me, it seemed disrespectful of what the corps was doing at that moment, and it was a flagrant SCV ripoff. Honestly, it sounded like a couple of kids, maybe with friends in the corps or something -- at least I hope that's all it is!

Thanks for the review. Rather than driving 200 miles, I only needed to drive about 3 to make this show. But, unfortunately, I couldn't make it. <**> Maybe next year... (BTW, Brad was on staff at Sky Ryders when I marched in 91)

Yes, he mentioned that he was on staff in 1991. Sorry I didn't mention it, but I was tired after a long drive. Thanks for reading my review!

Thanks for the review. Didn't care much for comparing the girl to a prostitute, but I guess I'm just a nice guy.

I only said that the girl "looked" like a prostitute, meaning her clothes. It was not a personal slam on her. I am VERY nice! :D Thanks for reading!

I bet she would feel differently as to whether that was about her or just the outfit.

Anyway, good review. I disagree about the Cadets drill though. They may not be marching as much (time-wise) but when they are marching, the drill is tasty, IMO.

We'll see what happens in a few weeks.

I bet she would feel differently as to whether that was about her or just the outfit.

Anyway, good review. I disagree about the Cadets drill though. They may not be marching as much (time-wise) but when they are marching, the drill is tasty, IMO.

And the Cadets are moving very FAST.

Well, if I could say it to her face, she would be able to hear the inflection in my voice and she would know for sure that I was talking about the costume, and not her. It is a shame that this "sexualization" of our young people is happening and noone seems to care about it. It is a tacky, tasteless outfit, imo, that makes the performer look bad. If I wore that outfit, I would look like a prostitute (although a cross-dressing one). Thank you for your kind comments about my review! It isn't easy to sit up late at night after watching a show (and driving 200 miles) to write a review. Glad to see that it is appreciated!

Edited by Cardman

Well that's too bad. Honestly, I would tell her to her face that she looks like a prostitute in that outfit, because it is a shame that it is happening and noone seems to care about it. It is a tacky, tasteless outfit that makes the performer look bad. If I wore that outfit, I would look like a prostitute (although a cross-dressing one). Thank you for your kind comments about my review! It isn't easy to sit up late at night after watching a show (and driving 200 miles) to write a review. Glad to see that it is appreciated!

I guess I just don't get the problem. She is wearing as much or more than some of the full guards for some other corps we've seen in DCI.

Also, how would you dress her considering she is playing the Queen character keeping in mind she is spinning, running, and tumbling almost the entire show?