what would be YOUR last straw

Look at how many corps are gone. How many thousands of kids and fans are gone with them. That signals loss in interest. Obviously there's a problem here that some refuse to see.

Look at the thousands of HS/college bands...many that compete...that have taken the place of the hundreds of small corps that used to exist and were feeders to the top corps.

These kids ARE the future members and audience. They are the ones DCI should be marketing their product to. Oldtimers like us (see my sig) can either come along for the ride and enjoy what goes on...like MANY of us do from shows I have attended over the years...or they just walk away as you have chosen to do, because you no longer find drum corps entertaining.

I don't really see the 'problem' you seem to see.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you explain the hundreds and even thousands of kids that sacrifice time, effort and money to march those "amoeba drills" and wear those "clown costumes"? Seems safe to assume that they enjoy it. If you don't, that's fine. But what the poster you quoted said was that it's about the kids, and they were absolutely right. Nowhere did they say that it's about catering to morganhill. Please take your trolling elsewhere.

Come on, now, Maed, no "about the kids" copouts, okay?

If it really WAS about the kids, they'd make it easy to join and belong to, like it was during the Golden Age.

They do the Groucho Step and wear silly costumes and play off-the-wall music because that's what the curret Powers That Be make them do, or they don't join.

It hasn't been about kids since the '70s.

I'm not suggesting that our opinions are anything more than a drop in the proverbial bucket; however, most discussion groups are set up for like minded individuals to speak their mind on certain subjects at hand...whether it be ill-informed, good or bad. One persons whine is anothers truth. :)

All of those opinions (even the trolls) contribute to the POV at hand, for most of the people here are the "super fans" that buy the CD's , DVD's and so forth. True, some people don't care about amps/Bb/etc...but there are those that do, and they have little else to voice their opinions with other than posting here.

I'm surely not the only one who realizes that we speak only for ourselves concerning the idiom. I have my own likes and dislikes, but at the same time, I'm acutely aware of how I share some of those with people from all walks of the activity. Those are the bonds that need to be strengthened, not telling people "get over it and leave!" or "2 valves FTW!" when they express concern/delight about where things are headed.

Oh, I have no problem with folks discussing whatever they wish. Why else would I be here...and soundmachine...and RAMD?

If it really WAS about the kids, they'd make it easy to join and belong to, like it was during the Golden Age.

They do the Groucho Step and wear silly costumes and play off-the-wall music because that's what the curret Powers That Be make them do, or they don't join.

How can it be like it was in the 70's when both drum corps and society are not like it was in the 70's?

Some think the Golden Age was the 60's...others the 70's, 80's, etc....

More kids march and compete in 2006 than EVER...only most are part of HS band programs.

Drum corps has become, as the say, the major leagues of marching music.

As for of-the-wall music...that is a personal opinion, of course. My non-corps friends when I was marching wondered about the music we played.

Who is "making" a kid do anything? Yes, tour fees cost more than they did in the 70's, but kids are still willing to pay. They pay money to wear the uniforms, to play the music, and to march the shows, on top of the time and effort that they will also put in over the course of a summer. Do you think they would sacrifice all that if they didn't want to, if they didn't like the activity they were giving up so much to join? If you were 20 again, and felt the same way that you do about what corps are doing today, would you still march with one of those corps "just because"? That seems silly to me. I can't imagine someone sitting there, watching a drum corps show, coming up with the derogatory comments that you've made, but still taking the plunge to march. Why? Would you just laugh at yourself all summer? Are you a closet masochist?

You're right, kids don't make the rule changes, and kids don't design the shows. But please tell me how that's any different than it was in the 70s?

How do you explain the hundreds and even thousands of kids that sacrifice time, effort and money to march those "amoeba drills" and wear those "clown costumes"? Seems safe to assume that they enjoy it. If you don't, that's fine. But what the poster you quoted said was that it's about the kids, and they were absolutely right. Nowhere did they say that it's about catering to morganhill. Please take your trolling elsewhere.

It hasn't been "about the kids" since 1970.