what would be YOUR last straw

You say that the current trend in DCI is to market to the new member base... but I find a flaw in that. This being that, knowing myself and talking to many other members my age and younger, that we love the old days of drum corps. Sure, we enjoy harder drill and what not (most of us enjoying to live in the late 90s, early 00s of the activity) but most if not all of the yougun's I've talked to don't want woodwinds, electronics, strings, etc. ... but you say these things are coming about to appeal to us... but, we don't find them appealing. So who is DCI then appealing to? Seems more like it's to try and get a more general FANBASE than a member base... fans = money, ya know.

Just a thought.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the last straw WAS amps and yet I'm still here. :beer:

I can't explain why I haven't left yet... maybe I'm just an eternal optimist and I'm still holding out the faint hope that all the electric crap will go away some day. And that day can't come soon enough. :lol:

For the love of Corps...

Don't sing it!

Don't say it!

Just march the field and Frickin' play it!

Some think the Golden Age was the 60's...others the 70's, 80's, etc....

The Golden Age of drum corps was yesterday. Today about noon it started a precipitous slide, but started recovering about 6:00 pm CST. Tomorrow it will be approaching its former Golden Age of yesterday, but it will never be what it was yesterday. I'm telling you, they should have left it alone when it got to yesterday, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

If, by the 2020 season, all members of DCI still have yet to incorporate live monkeys into their shows, I will quit watching.

Shows need more monkeys. THAT'S the key to scoring a 90 by June 15.

:lol:

I have seen alot of reed comments.. but in all honesty, i find the idea of a woodwind as a solo instrument ( like somone puts down their mello for a sax solo in a tune becasue its just appropriate to the song, in the pit, not marching around) as not too bad.. and better than the micced vocals.....

maybe its my New Orleans Brass band background...

but really there is a diffrence between, or should be , Marching band , and drumcorps.. .. and its never somthing i think shoudl be the standard... an ocassional thing for flavor possibly... like the vocals.. ( tho vocals like the cavies do, unmicced, and unison .. those are definately kinda kewl.. )

in the end.. i guess i like acoustic a bit better.. unplugged and all that.

ok now im rambling so ill stop...

im gonna remain a fan of the activity whatever form it decides to take, cause it opens up musical performanc and such oppurtunities to the kids, and with seinors adlts, that are not always available.

heck i would like to see the nubers of corps, in all divisions expand... more local corps...

ok done rambling incoherently now.

monkeys can ramble with the best of them...

whats the 1 thing that if happened, without a doubt, no questions asked.. make YOU as a performer, fan, supporter, etc.. walk away from DCI and never look back?

dont mention anything that has happened.. Bb, narration, singing, electronics, etc..

only things that have NOT happened.

possible reasons so far...

- woodwinds

- animals

- laser lights

- smoke machines

- lycra

- guitars

- strings

- Cavies/Scouts going co-ed

- electronic synthesizers

- SCV leaving DCI

- Satanic ritualistic human sacrifices

- stops being entertaining

- cadets beat phantom this year

- no Phantom Regiment

- when Cavies do "Menopause: The Musical".

The removal of the all-brass choir. Also....if electronics are out of control.....I might bail as well. I am lucky though......I live in the northeast and have plenty of alumni and DCA shows very close to home that I can attend. :)

Triple Forte