Favorite Drill Move's

just one from the past,,,Les Dipomats rotating box!!!way ahead of it's time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DARN ! Everyone else beat me to it ! All the very best drill moves have already been mentioned...from 1970 to this year !

2) SCV 2001 Very last set. Guard in a circle, everyone else stretched diagonally across the field.

That was 2000, and also one of the three that I mentioned in my first post. One of my favorite shows ever. B)

Which move is that?

It wasn't anything exciting or even cool. Basically one day in rehearsal I zoned during the drill move right before the "Candyman" section of Don't Get Around Much Anymore. Somehow I ended up a good 3 yards or so out of my set. Tim Ochran was our visual caption head that year. During the winter camps he and Sly had officially named me Bigwally because at the time I was a dead ringer for a guy who had marched Cavies with Sly a few years before when Tim was on staff there. Anyway, he noticed my screw up and as we were resetting he named that move the "Bigwally Move."

Cavaliers 2003 - Spin Cycle. The whole thing... :blink::music::blink::whistle:

It's interesting you said that. We, a group of FMM's, sat around the other night and said it's amazing how many people have been telling us that Spin Cycle was underrated.

Ask this question and see if you can answer it quickly, what did BD, the winner, play that year. But you always remember that 2003 Cavaliers, was Spin Cycle.

Heh, Spin Cycle is underrated because it didn't win a title, while just about every other Cavaliers show this decade has. I truly think that scores alone have affected how people view that product. When you watch the entire package, no question it's a championship-worthy show, and I could buy an argument saying that it's even better integrated and more seamless than the shows that came before it.

*edit* Certainly I don't wish to take anything away from Blue Devils, either. They had a championship-worthy show as well, and saying that Spin Cycle is underrated is not meant to imply that I didn't enjoy Phenomenon of the Cool.

Edited by Maedhros

2004 Cavies - The "hock-it" section where the triangle folds upon itself and inverts

1998 (I think) Cadets - where the follow the leader feeds the spinning box

2000 Cavies - The "disco turn" ripple

Honorable mention to the elastic box from this year's Cavies show, the drumline bubble from 2004 Cavies, the breathing, rotating block from the beginning of 97 BD, and the big, assembling diamond from 97 (I think) Vanguard- the one that ends with a joint-dislocating pop when they change direction.

All and all, I really like what Michael Gaines has done over the past 6-7 years. He's added a lot of depth to simple geometric patterns by using facings, ripples, inter-form animation, etc... amazing.

It's interesting you said that. We, a group of FMM's, sat around the other night and said it's amazing how many people have been telling us that Spin Cycle was underrated.

Ask this question and see if you can answer it quickly, what did BD, the winner, play that year. But you always remember that 2003 Cavaliers, was Spin Cycle.

Spin Cycle happens to be my favorite show ever, though MACHINE could overtake it depending on the new ending supposedly in the works. Spin Cycle is just brilliant. The deli slicer move, the opening and closing sets, the part where the horns sit in the box, spin up, play a solo w/ a rifle, spin back down as the drums go through the maze, the vertical lines spinning and helixing apart and back toghether, just everything. Not to mention some truly awesome music. I love BD 2003 too, but I still can't believe that of all the Cavies shows this decade, that Spin Cycle was the one to break up what could have been a 5-peat...