MY rule change proposition

Age limit raised up to 25 (26 to follow the extra year policy), for ex-active duty military members only

All guidelines below must be met:

1.) The member has marched in a complete season (of that corps schedule since not all corps march a complete season), and LEFT to boot camp before the next season has started. The age limit rule will not apply to members who marched a season, took a season off and then joined the military.

2.) The member has left to boot camp during that current season, and was not able to march the remainder of that season. The member must have been accepted into the corps, and not in a audition/trial status.

3.) The member can only be eligible if they did NOT receive an other than honorable, or dishonorable discharge. Copies of the members DD-214 must be given to DCI and the corps to prove discharge status.

4.) The member can only march UP to their 25th birthday, but only the amount that they actively served in the military. If a member served four years of age 18, 19, 20, 21, they will be able to march their 4 years up to the age of 25. If those 4 years go over 25, they will only be eligible to march until 25. If that same member joined the military at 20, and got out at 24, they will only be eligible to march 1 year.

5.) The member may not transfer their status to another marching member for any reason, including death or extended enlistements or deployments.

6.) Regular auditions will still be required for military members wishing to march.

This rule change will allow current marching members to serve their country for 4 years without missing their chance to "age out"

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age limit raised up to 25 (26 to follow the extra year policy), for ex-active duty military members only

All guidelines below must be met:

1.) The member has marched in a complete season (of that corps schedule since not all corps march a complete season), and LEFT to boot camp before the next season has started. The age limit rule will not apply to members who marched a season, took a season off and then joined the military.

2.) The member has left to boot camp during that current season, and was not able to march the remainder of that season. The member must have been accepted into the corps, and not in a audition/trial status.

3.) The member can only be eligible if they did NOT receive an other than honorable, or dishonorable discharge. Copies of the members DD-214 must be given to DCI and the corps to prove discharge status.

4.) The member can only march UP to their 25th birthday, but only the amount that they actively served in the military. If a member served four years of age 18, 19, 20, 21, they will be able to march their 4 years up to the age of 25. If those 4 years go over 25, they will only be eligible to march until 25. If that same member joined the military at 20, and got out at 24, they will only be eligible to march 1 year.

5.) The member may not transfer their status to another marching member for any reason, including death or extended enlistements or deployments.

6.) Regular auditions will still be required for military members wishing to march.

This rule change will allow current marching members to serve their country for 4 years without missing their chance to "age out"

Make it 30 and you got my vote!

if your prop passed, I would submit my own entitled "Dude, get on with your life!"

...what about people who wait until coming back from service at age 21/22 to enter college, though? They might well have the additional time (and financial resources) to march. :)

I think this may be one of the most intelligent posts on here in a while. It sounds like a really good idea. You'd sure have my vote!

thanks.. its something ive thought about before.. i left in 2000 and joined the navy.. i still had two years left, this way i would have been able to "age out" myself.. but i do know of other people in the same situation.

and because DCI is a age specific organization, and the military can be a great thing, you shouldnt make someone decide if they want to march or serve their country. there should be better options than that