Phantom 1.025 from the lead.

I know most people disagree with me, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a weakness, but I think Regiment has a stronger hornline. Percussion is also not a weakness for the Cavaliers, but Regiment does indeed have a stronger line, at least according to the judges and my percussive friends.

Obviously, I don't understand GE Visual judging, as I have said before...in 2000 I thought Cavaliers had GE Visual out the wazoo, but they did not win that caption. In fact, they placed 3rd that year.

In 2003, I thought the same thing about Cavies' visual program...and yet, they took 2nd place to a show I felt would be something like 5th in GE Visual.

I suppose that the GE Visual judge looks for something other than what we all seem to think he or she should look for.

Frankly, I would have given the nod to Cavaliers in Visual GE...however, I admit that I do not know what the heck they are looking for. Whatever it is that they are looking for, Regiment must have it, because they also beat the Devils in Visual GE at both Atlanta and San Antonio.

Again: I don't know what the judges look for in GE Visual.

Regiment obviously doesn't appeal to everyone. The Cavaliers obviously don't appeal to everyone.

I'm imploring my fellow Regiment brothers to stop arguing with Cavalier alumns, fans, and general anti-Regiment folks, and just enjoy the production. If it wins, it wins, if it comes out in 5th place, oh well.

Think of it this way: Those of you who are die-hard Regiment fans...could a Cavalier convince you to not like the show? Could they convince you of what they perceive of as its weaknesses? Could a Cavalier come on DCP and convince you that the way Regiment runs its programs, music-first, is the WRONG way?

No?

Then stop trying to argue the same with them. I'm guilty of it too, but it stops here. There is no convincing either side that the other is right, they are both fine drum corps, one is historically superior to the other, end of story. Maybe Regiment will catch up one day....after all, no one could have envisioned (after 1997) the Cavaliers dominating like they have the past 6 years...anything is possible.

Until that day, let's just enjoy the performances and stop the whole "our music is better than yours, our visual is better than yours" debate.

I have two comments about this post:

1) Amen!

2) Bring back Sparticus!!!

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I'm getting a bit tired of arguing.

Either way, it's not at all surprising that the Cavalier and PR alumni don't play well together.

It's part of what makes the activity fun, IMO.

1) Amen!

Agreed! Though whether Nikk (or myself) can truly hold off is another matter entirely... B)

Edited by Maedhros

Agreed! Though whether Nikk (or myself) can truly hold off is another matter entirely...

THE CAVALIERS SUCKAGE MUST BE STOPPED! VISUAL OVER MUSIC!!! ARGH!!! ME MONKEY NO LIKEY NON-MUSICY ARGH ARGH ARGH YELLOW!!!

Er...

I mean...

You have a very nice corps.

:P

P.S. Watch me.

I have the APDs from San Antonio. That's right, just audio alone. Bluecoats and Cavaliers are at the top of my playlist, Blue Devils, SCV and BK aren't too far behind. Cadets get some added play for curiosity's sake, while Madison, Phantom, Capital Regiment, and Esperanza round out the next tier. So you see, to say that music is secondary to the Cavaliers, just because you don't enjoy it, is silly. I didn't enjoy Phantom at all last year, and can't get into them this year. Does that mean that Phantom's designers intentionally make boring music?

Once again, I agree with pretty much everything you say, except that I'd move BK up to the first tier w/ Cavies and Bluecoats... :)

You sound waaaay too defensive here (like I said, you are a Cavaliers alum, despite your earlier claims not to be), and you're also putting words in my mouth, so that pretty much invalidates some of the things you are saying. But it's funny that you take issue with my comments about Cavaliers, then take a swipe at Regiment. It's a tad hypocritical if you ask me.

first of all, dont call me out as being an alumnus of any corps, because you dont know my background. as i said earlier, i am not here representing a corps. i will always stand up for many corps, one of which is SCV. does that make me an SCV alumn as well?

secondly, i was not putting words in your mouth, you said them (i believe i quoted you). also funny how you had no response to the real meat of my post (i know how you love to rebutt).

third, dont call me hypocritical, because you are the ultimate hypocrite. i've been watching you make swipes at every corps (mostly the cavaliers) for a long time now, then you praise Regiment as if they're drum corps superiors. but then you scatter a couple of hip, laid back comments throughout your posts, trying to make it sound like your a laid back dude. doesn't work man.

i didnt make this personal, you did.

secondly, i was not putting words in your mouth, you said them (i believe i quoted you). also funny how you had no response to the real meat of my post (i know how you love to rebutt).

There was nothing to rebutt, really...you said the following:

"i guess you believe they write their music after the drill, right? seriously, you give off an impression that difficulty is how many notes are in a show. you also make it sound like the Cavalier's writers write "safe" music on purpose. if regiment's show is in fact harder, im sure they are compensated by standing still a lot, and not marching sets larger than 6-to-5."

Where exactly do you quote me? You said "i GUESS you believe..." (emphasis added). That doesn't sound like my own words. Then you say "you give off the IMPRESSION that..." (again, emphasis added). In the original post that you responded to, what you quote was this:

"Fair enough...and I've heard Cavaliers enough to think that they play it safe and play books that aren't as difficult as other corps, allowing them to sound better most of the time."

I said I think they play it safe...it's my opinion. I never said I thought they wrote their drill after the music...YOU did. I never said that difficulty is how many notes are in a show....YOU did. Then you took a swipe at Regiment.

third, dont call me hypocritical, because you are the ultimate hypocrite. i've been watching you make swipes at every corps (mostly the cavaliers) for a long time now, then you praise Regiment as if they're drum corps superiors. but then you scatter a couple of hip, laid back comments throughout your posts, trying to make it sound like your a laid back dude. doesn't work man.

I'm sure you're going to point out every instance where I take a swipe, right? I don't believe I have said much about SCV, Madison, BK, Devils, Crown, Scouts...but don't let that get in the way of your assertion that I have taken swipes at every corps. And you ARE a hypocrite, because while you're sitting here accusing me of taking swipes at "every corps (mostly the Cavaliers)," you then go on to take two subtle swipes:

"they dont waste time playing over-blown chorales over and over" and "if regiment's show is in fact harder, im sure they are compensated by standing still a lot, and not marching sets larger than 6-to-5."

So if the shoe fits, wear it.

I'll be waiting for your examples of me taking swipes at every corps...I am sure they are forthcoming.

i didnt make this personal, you did.

Yeah, right. I made it personal because I said I think you are being defensive? What? Ok then.

I'm not going to get into the whole Cavaliers vs Regiment thing again, because as I said earlier, I am done with it. The Cavaliers have a great tradition, a great show, and a great recent history of championships. No one can take that away from them. In fact, over the past several years, I have heaped on them LOADS of praise, especially when fans of the Blue Devils or Cadets have denigrated them. Don't overlook THOSE posts when you go searching for all the times I have taken swipes at "every corps" as you said.

Have a nice day. (Uh oh...is that a "hip, laidback" comment?)

"Can't we all just get along?"

if you want to continue this conversation, Tsar, PM me. i dont think this conversation should be carried on in public at this point