Yet Another Atlanta Review

Hey all...had a BLAST at the show last night and brought my mom with me...her first live viewing. She was so impressed. It is neat to hear what a first time viewer of a live show notices. She only saw one drop from the guards the whole night, lol (there were more of course). She thought the bands...I mean corps (she is learning the difference)....were unbelievable.

Attendance was 16,000....great LOUD crowd. But what a storm, that was crazy! Good thing we were in the Dome despite the pipe breaking b/c of all the water pressure coming off the Dome roof. Echo was there...but oh well.

Here is a brief review...the afternoon corps are short and to the point, having a tough time remembering the little things.

Cavies - There is your 2006 winner, just wow! Crowd went nuts at many points of the show. This was my mom's, my boy friend's and my favorite by far. They just have the total package. So much GE and you never forget what this one is about. Can't wait to see it again in Madison!

Blue Devils - Great show...great music, but the drill just doesn't have the WOW factor that the Cavies or Phantom has. I think this should be in 3rd....but their guard is very impressive. Do they even know how to drop their equipment???

Phantom - Great show with great music. The Demon Posse was great...those boys added so much to the show and are great with the equipment. They should be in 2nd by Finals...and I don't think this is impossible. Keep it up!

Bluecoats - Hmmmm...good show, but as much as I hate to say it, it kinda let me down. I expected a little more. Don't get me wrong...they performed great and their guard was spectacular, but when they finished, I just felt like it let me down. The crowd didn't respond near is loud as during the Cadets. Good show...but I think maybe 5th place at Finals. Heck...Crown could finish over them and I wouldn't be disappointed..

Cadets - LOVED it...totally surprised me, it was just aweome and the crowd ATE IT UP! I can't believe they were 5th behind Bluecoats...that will change by Finals. There is a lot going on, but it wasn't as distracting as I thought. The singing midway through wasn't bad at all. I don't understand why they have been getting so much crap lately. The corps members must have felt great though because the crowd went NUTS many times throughout the show and got a standing O at the end. This was the first show that my mom said "I want to see that again!". The guard work was incredible, the drill was incredible, the music was awesome. Congrats Cadets....you surprised me in a big way last night!! Another one I CAN"T WAIT to see in Madison.

Crown - Incredible guard work and their drill is much more difficult than the past few years. The thing where the guard picks another guard member up and runs over the other guard members was a very cool effect. Loved the guard uniforms and the plumes, the purple is great. Great crowd reaction. Oh that sound...Crown knows how to play! They should take 6th in the end.

SCV - Great show...lots of music and cool effects. Don't really get the horn player that slowley marches around the field for the first half of the show. Really don't understand what that is about. I tried to explain the whole Moto Perpetuo thing for my mom, but she still scratched her head and wondered what his purpose was. Great comeback from last year...but Crown is better IMO. Didn't like the quiet ending marching off the field into the tunnel. I want a loud impacting ending!

Madison - Who said they were having an off year??? Loved this show and their guard was great. I can't believe they are in 10th. The hometown crowd will eat this up in Madison....Atlanta sure did. The guard uniforms...yes, they are odd...but they fit the show very well and are very effective. They are marching and running all over the place and their execution must be improving. Should be above BK IMO...maybe even Boston. Another big surprise for me. I just don't get their score at all.

Blue Knights - Surprised this one finished so far above Boston and Madison. The show just let me down and didn't get much crowd response. They performed it well....it just didn't have many WOW moments like Madison and Boston. This should be 10th, maybe 11th. Saw them rehearse on Friday, and well, the morale was interesting. They just didn't seem to be having much fun. Apparently they have lost members and instructors b/c of high school band camps...this according to one of their cooks. So not sure what you can believe about that.

Boston - Love their new uniforms this year! The red with silver sash just pops! The red is much brighter than years past. Music was beautiful and the props worked well. Also more enjoyable than BK IMO. Saw them rehearse on Friday and the morale was great! They are having so much fun.

Glassmen - I think 11th place is good for them even though it was more interesting than BK...but Spirit might pass them. Love the guard unis...the purple adds so much color to the field. The deaf segment of the show followed by the big pop gives you chills.

Spirit - One of the best 12th place shows I have ever seen. Lot of home town fans made for a loud audience response throughout the show. That first hit...well, what a way to start the evening program. Their sound, drill work, and guard work are all a big step up from the past few years. They should be in 10th or 11th IMO.

Colts - Big step up from Blue Stars, Cap Reg and Crossmen. Any other year, this would be in Finals with out a doubt. I hope they can tie Spirit...they are both worthy of Finals. It bothers me that this may not make it....it was that good. Great guard work throughout the show, you could tell they were into it.

Crossmen - Enjoyable show, but it is finishing where it should. It isn't up to the standard of Colts. I even think Blue Stars should be above them.

Blue Stars - Narration didn't bother me much at all and I think they had a very enjoyable show...and I usually don't go for the patriotic themed shows. Loved the singing from the corps proper..unamped...great effect!

Capital Regiment - Very good show, but need to work on volume levels. It just never seemed to change. Frisbee throw across the field was cool!

Southwind - This should be above Mandarins and Capital Regiment. The Duality effect was fun and obvious. I don't understand why this is scoring so low.

Mandarins - Good show...but I am having trouble remember things. I think the guard was pretty good though.

The Magic - Better than I had expected. They are scoring/placing where they should...but it wasn't bad at all.

Seattle - Nice full sound...but you can tell they are very very young...especially their guard. Many drops.

Esperanza - I really liked their music. They have some marching issues to work out, but the show was enjoyable and different. Guard was fun to watch.

Missed Corpvets and Jubal.

Finale - Blue Devils and Cavies together...NICE!! Not a big fan of the arrangement, but it sounded great. I want America/O'Canada back.

Disappointed no encore by Cavies...think it was because it was so late.

Hope we get another regional next year in Atlanta....16,000 in attendance makes it promising!

Thanks for providing comments on the afternoon show... there's more to Atlanta than the top 12 in the evening! Enjoyed your insights.

Your welcome. I was a little disappointed with the number of fans at the afternoon show but surprised that there was as many if that makes sense. The crowd that was there responded pretty good though to the afternoon corps.