Incredibly Long Atlanta Review...

A few notes:

Nick, you might not have gotten the news letter, or heard the mixed cheers - but Bob Smith retirred after the 04 season - and the Emmerit (sp) brothers have been in charge since.

Madalumni, the reason the corps isn't using Loves Park this year is that the city only sponsors the corps in some years - thus, they are only from Rockford this year, but in 03 we were from Rockford/Loves Park. I know it's confussing, and no one that isn't with the corps would ever need to know that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Nikk.... great review. This is kinda off topic and you don't know me but I was a very avid reader of your tour journals and drum corps articles at your website. See, my first exposure to Regiment was with my first DCI videos which were 1999, not the best example from Regiment. So as a result, I was very blah on the Regiment, and when I marched Glassmen, I really disliked them. But reading your articles helped paint a different picture for me concerning Regiment. I would say this plus the influence of Dave Anderson helped make me want to march Phantom Regiment last year, and even though I didn't age out and I'm not even sure if I am going to march again; I do know that I will march Phantom Regiment. So, for what it's worth, thank you for helping to reintroduce me to my corps of choice. I really appreciate it.

P.S. At the end of your 1993 journal you had alluded to an unpleasent summer the next year, but we never got to find out why 1994 was such a bad year, if you still read these replies, I wonder, what happened?

Thanks

hey Nikk.... great review. This is kinda off topic and you don't know me but I was a very avid reader of your tour journals and drum corps articles at your website. See, my first exposure to Regiment was with my first DCI videos which were 1999, not the best example from Regiment. So as a result, I was very blah on the Regiment, and when I marched Glassmen, I really disliked them. But reading your articles helped paint a different picture for me concerning Regiment. I would say this plus the influence of Dave Anderson helped make me want to march Phantom Regiment last year, and even though I didn't age out and I'm not even sure if I am going to march again; I do know that I will march Phantom Regiment. So, for what it's worth, thank you for helping to reintroduce me to my corps of choice. I really appreciate it.

P.S. At the end of your 1993 journal you had alluded to an unpleasent summer the next year, but we never got to find out why 1994 was such a bad year, if you still read these replies, I wonder, what happened?

Thanks

It took me a long time to finish that last segment of that particular series ("Down the Road, parts 1-10") because it was painful to remember/think about. I have, however, since finished it (sometime in December last, I believe).

http://nikknakks.net/drumcorps/articles/do...he_road_10.html

There you go. Enjoy my misery. :P

And Dave Anderson had a part in where you marched? Are you a former student of his or something? What is he up to nowadays?

"What a big man you are..."

"Yes my phone rang and yes I will answer it any dam time I please"

Still...funny that those Cadets staffers that are supposedly never on DCP apparently are...let's not kid ourselves...they read almost everything we have to say.

That's a kick. If I'd have known DCP was like talking to God him(her)(cellphone)self, I'd have probably gotten myself banned by now!

I swallowed one of those about two hours ago!

Couldn't resist.

It took me a long time to finish that last segment of that particular series ("Down the Road, parts 1-10") because it was painful to remember/think about. I have, however, since finished it (sometime in December last, I believe).

http://nikknakks.net/drumcorps/articles/do...he_road_10.html

There you go. Enjoy my misery. :P

And Dave Anderson had a part in where you marched? Are you a former student of his or something? What is he up to nowadays?

Oh. Sorry that you didn't enjoy that summer as much as the others. I was about to reply to my own post cause I had just now found that you had updated; I didn't know you were still writing those. But yeah, I actually haven't talked to Dave in a while, he was my sop tech at Glassmen in 2002 and he would tell us stories of when he marched and there was this sort of weird mystique surrounding it that was kind of cool. At the time I still thought of 1999 when I thought of Regiment so I initially wasn't that impressed, but the more he got into it and I eventually unearthed some videos from the older days (93 was first) and I sort of understood where he was coming from (it was also cool to see him have a closeup in finals that year).

But anyway, I digress, last I hear he is still up in the Dallas, Tx area and is married with a kid.

Nikk,

sorry for the delay in reading...my phone rang, and well, i felt like #### well answering it :P

great review, and i hope mine next week matches your in tone of catching stuff, venom, and trashing old RAMD enemies :P

Nikk,

Review looks good, I enjoyed reading it. I just drove home from the Charlotte show after doing 9 days of tour this summer (my season is over, I can't go to Madison).

Good luck with your Doctorate. I'll be thinkin' of you the first week in September...

Go 'Canes!!!

^0^

There, now that I have completely riled you up, go ahead and flame away.

Nikk:

What a great review. I write reviews professionally and your's had everything in it that told me what I wanted to hear about all the corps. It was very refreshing to read.

Regards,

John Swartz