Crossmen have no housing in Madison

Sounds like it was one of those situations where Crossmen already had housing but the school cancelled out on them.

Nope, they never had housing arranged for finals week until today.

Last year they were more than 1.5 hours from Boston, a nightmare of a trip, VERY compacted practice time.

Year before - no housing, so they finally put them up in a Motel6 (not luxurious, I assure you), they had a middle school practice field ONLY, had to walk about a half mile to a high school to borrow a shower facility ONLY.

"Equal housing opportunity" for all Div. 1? I think not....

Thank GOD this year some wonderful soul has given them a break for finals week.....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unoffici8ally, word is the current DCI housing director dropped the ball. If this is indeed the case. I find it inexcuseable.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Just so you know where I'm coming from, that's just plain WRONG.

I'm not going to go into any details (and I can't/and/or don't want to), but I was talking with him about this very thing while in Atlanta. Lots of things have happened and when you hear the entire story, it all adds up.

He's not getting much sleep, I can tell you that. And there's no one more dedicated to any job than he is to his. If he wasn't as on-the-ball as he is, it might be a situation even more dramatic.

Stuff happens. If everything can be taken care of by Worlds, he'll pull it off and everyone will be happy. I'm confident of that.

UPDATE - Crossmen Have Found Housing For Finals!

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Whitewater, WI

Thank you to everyone who responded to the email we sent regarding Crossmen housing for finals.

The Crossmen will be staying only 28 miles from Madison, at Whitewater Middle School in Whitewater, WI. Having housing this close to finals will enable the Crossmen to have maximum rehearsal time to sharpen up their 2006 program "Changing Lanes".

Thank you to all of our Crossmen supporters!

-END OF THREAD-

You are right about being 1.5 hours (it was more like 2) last year, they were just before the border to NH. The year before they did have housing, just outside of Denver - it was fairly close. I am almost positive they did not stay in a Motel.

In today's day and age (smoking policy/law, litigation etc) the utmost care should be taken to to be as professional as possible. Maybe DCI should get involved with corps "code of conduct". DCI now oversees the financial stability of a corps, so why not?

The irony here is that by not having these policies in place the inexpensive housing offered by staying at schools is in jeopardy. Imagine the financial mess caused by having to house a drum corps in hotels all summer because schools either do not think that their concerns will be respected or that violations will not be dealt with in a serious manner.

How about "MATURITY??"

Sorry; stealth works in war. It is irresponsible in your context.

Jeesh...i guess i need to clarify. Stealth, to me, is if you need a cigarette, go across the street and have one, off school property. If you need a drink, go to a bar after rehearsal legally. This is what Stealth is to me. 10 years ago, it wasn't that big of a deal on campuses (IMHO) but nowadays, in this ever letigious society that seems to be going backwards in time rather than forwards, i agree with you.

Alcohol consumption by corps members or staff should be banned. It presents a bad image. Imagine if an emergency came up and part of the staff was toasted...not good.

I second that! Several calls home from the "kid" about it this year. The staff should set the example. "Practice what they preach" if you will. Alcohol should be banned, period! Most of the kids are under-age anyway, so why even have it around? Just my 2 cents. :wall:

I second that! Several calls home from the "kid" about it this year. The staff should set the example. "Practice what they preach" if you will. Alcohol should be banned, period! Most of the kids are under-age anyway, so why even have it around? Just my 2 cents. :wall:

Well...i'm going to play devil's advocate here. There was many a time when, after a long day of teaching, myself and my fellow staff members would walk to a local pub, etc to grab a brew or two and relax. We played pool, talked, watched TV (which is a novelty on tour) and just generally unwound.

We would do this knowing:

1: There was administration always at the housing site taking care of the corps.

2: We would leave after lights out and make sure that our responsibility to the members were taken care of.

3: We would return at a reasonable time to make sure our duties would not be compromised the following day

4: We would return peacefully, quietly and w/o incident.

To say alcohol should be banned is a little overboard. The staff work hard and to go on the road for 5 - 7 weeks straight w/o a chance to unwind seems unreasonable and a little too Utopian to me. As always, everything should be done with moderation and this was no exception for us.

The bottom line is, if you are a responsible person, you will do things smartly and this won't be an issue.

As always...peace!

That's happened to Spirit a couple of times in the past, too.

And when that happens, you just have to deal with it and wear shirts, because as unreasonable as the request might seem, we're still guests in their "house" and we have to abide by their rules if we want to be asked back.

My wife runs Spirit's three "home" shows, and last week in Russellville, the band director at the school that was housing Crossmen hunted her down at the show to tell her that if the Crossmen are in the show next year, he definitely wanted to house them again.

Kudos to Crossmen for leaving that kind of impact! :wall:

This is a great compliment to the Crossmen and Scott Litzenberg. As I was reading this, I thought that they might not be asked back. I remember the 70's and 80's! Crossmen did get into trouble a couple of times for not cleaning up after themselves. It seems that the corps members are so much more mature and respectful today. I hope that the Crossmen have a great ending to their season and everything works out for them when they finally reach Madison. Have a safe journey and enjoy the show (Ride)!!!