Cavaliers 1998

I had the pleasure of marching in this show in the hornline. It was my one and only summer marching with a corps, and man did I pick a great year and a great corps to do it with! We came off of a lower-placing year in 1997, so the brass staff in particular came down pretty hard on us. They really stuck it to us (mentally and physically) in the early parts of the season to get us ready to really perform the show well. It was a neat show because, as you mentioned, it kind of summed up, stylistically, where The Cavaliers had been and where they would be going in the future. The crowds loved it. Early in the season there was a lot of talk about the Cavies taking it all at finals. Didnt happen, but it wasnt a big deal - the corps doesnt place an emphasis on scores or rankings. Great show! I will never forget my experiences that summer.

So I've heard this show, but I've never seen a video of it until like 5 minutes ago. The visual design is amazing...its just a really aesthetically pleasing visual design...

I wasn't really up on drum corps during that time...I do know that The Cavaliers recovered from a rough year in 1997 and 1998 was a tribute to the Cavies past- but any insight you can share on this show would great....

I will also add that I vividly remember the day we added the "snake" drill move into the show. If youve seen the video, youll know what I am talking about during the closer :) It was raining like I have NEVER seen before during the rehearsal block. The visual staff walked out on the field and handed us the charts for the "new move." When we all realized what it was, we went nuts! I was especially excited, as this move was showcased in the 1990 Cavies show, which I used to watch on VHS to no end as a kid. Great memory.

I had the pleasure of marching in this show in the hornline. It was my one and only summer marching with a corps, and man did I pick a great year and a great corps to do it with! We came off of a lower-placing year in 1997, so the brass staff in particular came down pretty hard on us. They really stuck it to us (mentally and physically) in the early parts of the season to get us ready to really perform the show well. It was a neat show because, as you mentioned, it kind of summed up, stylistically, where The Cavaliers had been and where they would be going in the future. The crowds loved it. Early in the season there was a lot of talk about the Cavies taking it all at finals. Didnt happen, but it wasnt a big deal - the corps doesnt place an emphasis on scores or rankings. Great show! I will never forget my experiences that summer.

LOL, I started the same exact thred about a year or two ago ! A visually breathtaking show from start to finish. The interaction between the guard and the brass during the opener, the staging, the tricks, the flags...stuning.

A very underrated show.

~G~

I absolutely loved that show. I remember in Yspsilanti, they performed next to last, and that show just blew everyone in the audience away. I remember having to catch my breath after they finished their closer. After them came Blue Devils, who had a nice show, but absolutely nothing compared to Cavies. When scores were announced and Blue Devils won that night, everyone around us was like HUH???

• Like 1

So I've heard this show, but I've never seen a video of it until like 5 minutes ago. The visual design is amazing...its just a really aesthetically pleasing visual design...

I wasn't really up on drum corps during that time...I do know that The Cavaliers recovered from a rough year in 1997 and 1998 was a tribute to the Cavies past- but any insight you can share on this show would great....

I remember first seeing that show in Troy, AL. Wow! I have not seen anyone mention this, but I assume that everyone realizes that this was the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Cavaliers in 1948. The show brought back many of the best moves from those 50 years. I had been only floating on the edge of drum corps after being away for a long while when this show solidly brought me back into the fold with a passion! I became a big Cavie fan after that.

I haven't seen this show in a long, long time...but I'll just continue to pile on the props for that ballad! (among other things)

• 7 years later...

Love this show on its own merits, but also because of what it signifies. 97 was not the best year for this corps. They needed a year and a show like 98 to show that they were just getting started again. 98 really set the stage for their early 2000s domination. Without 98, there is less chance of 2000-2002 being nearly as great as they were.

Ahh, 98 Cavies. This was my first year in "World Class" as I marched Crossmen that year. I'll never forget hearing them live for the first time and I was aww-struck. That show was fantastic. Made my heart jump out my chest (and not just the concert bass drums).

Edited by 2000Cadet