~Phantom Regiment~

3. 1987 I got to see this show alot this year marching in the midwest. What a glorious comeback ! A larger than life, "how did they do that" drill , solid show concept, and a stunning look from the colorguard.

7. 1983 Solidly in fourth all season, almost making a run for it all in the last week. A lesson in classical music 101. Videos of this show do not so it justice, you need to see the high camera to appreciate just how dazzling, how hard, and how truly inovative this visual package was, and colorguard using double rifles at the end of the show with the first appearance of the "streamers"

In the 83 DCI finals telecast video...... the only real shot of the double rifles is a close-up shot of a guard girl doing a toss of the second rifle to the next person, very incorrectly watching the toss all the way into the hands of the other girl.....uniform jacket flapping open because it was velcro and it got pulled open (NO - you can't see anything, there is a black leotard underneath) .... That's ME! :P

And the "streamers" were called kabukis.

In the 87 video, the colorguard soloist in the closer with the blue skirt and blue flag who you can't really see much in the telecast because they showed the baritone soloist standing still instead .... yeah, that's me too.

I didn't have such good luck when the cameras were around apparently.

Glad you liked our shows!

EXACTLY ^OO^

Wow. I keep seeing stuff like this. Really cool.

and The Fire of Eternal Glory was simply beautiful

That is the understatement of the decade...it's such a simple melody, and yet, it's one of the most beautiful and famous that the Regiment has played. The arrangement is amazing, and the dynamics are incredible.

(Update: I'm almost to the big hit.... :lol: )

Btw, I fixed spelling for you.

Hey- I'm listening to that on iTunes right now!!!! I'm at 2:12 (Wheat Dance) in case you cared.. :lol:

Da da da da da daaaa, da da da daaaaaaah daaaaaaaaaah..........

Da da daaaaa....da da.......

(front ensemble).... dadada dadada...

(me) "Aaaahhhh..."

Hey, Nikk, WHO (mellophone) overshot the release on Wheat Dance Pinals night???????????? I was sitting on the right hand 35 yard line and could hear it plain as day, and its the worst moment on that recording.

Glad you liked our shows!

Unfortunately I don't have much listening experience with Regiment prior to 1987. But that ballad in 87, the Journey through the Snow, is the complete package in my book. A great melody, and a nice battery part at the end. I love it! Plus you were in white that year for the first time, right?

Hey, Nikk, WHO (mellophone) overshot the release on Wheat Dance Pinals night???????????? I was sitting on the right hand 35 yard line and could hear it plain as day, and its the worst moment on that recording.

AGH, I try not to mention that. :lol:

Unfortunately I don't have much listening experience with Regiment prior to 1987. But that ballad in 87, the Journey through the Snow, is the complete package in my book. A great melody, and a nice battery part at the end. I love it! Plus you were in white that year for the first time, right?

Yep - first year in all white and the "new" look that remains today.

My favorite years:

1982 - Second year of Spartacus (Still the drum corps show I listen to most frequently. I can listen to that over and over!)

1987 - White Ballets

1989 - New World Symphony

1991 - Operas

2003 - Canon in D, etc

2005 - Gershwin

Tier #1

2006 - I could make this choice for the brass sound alone. Once they tweak the end of the closer visually by adding a wedge with a kick-out instead of those two straight lines (hint, hint), WOO-HOO!!! I'm still pulling for them to take it all in Madison!

1989 - pure enjoyment for me as a spectator! Thought they pulled it out at Finals.

1993 - Fire of Eternal Glory. Wow! Phantom at its' finest.

1996 - The entire opener, and building and resolving the chord in the closer are true masterpieces.

2003 - Didn't expect to like this on paper, but boy was I wrong. The "taking a bath in chocolate" expression about their horn line sound is appropriate (though it sounds very sticky! :P ).

1982 - Spartacus. They refined the 81 version and made it even better. I saw them perform this many times over the summer, and it was always phantastic (just look at their early season scores - under the tick system!)

Tier #2

1987 - what a dramatic turnaround in one year! If they had only saved their semi's performance for one more day, they would have been 3rd. From 10th to 3rd in one year is incredible.

1995 - the original "all in black", with very interesting and entertaining music and drill.

1979 - for Elsa's alone. I had this played (on an organ - wish it had been of the "pipe" variety) at my wedding because of these guys.

1983 - a best of Tchaikovsky show. Weren't the streamers lableled "Kabuki" or something like that?

I may have been hooked on drum corps by BD, but I have a definite soft spot in my heart for these guys! :lol: