~Phantom Regiment~

I did one of these in another thread. Oh well. B)

Since it's limited to 10, including the years I marched...

1978 - Was the kill shot that got me hooked on drum corps.

1979 - Elsa's...my all-time fave corps tune...it's also the last tune I played in a PR uniform.

1982 - Great show. A friend who marched the 1991 Star show told me that this show influenced that show.

1983 - What a fun show to perform, especially 1812. Had a blast with the flag exchange in the 1812 drum solo. Nailed my toss.

1987 - IMO, the show that saved the corps. Another great show.

1989 - What a great show. Love the kneel.

1993 - Fire of Eternal Glory...nuff said.

1996 - Champs!!

2003 - Great music and drill. Can't believe a Starduster wrote that drill. :P

2006 - This is the kind of show you want to listen to over and over again.

1983 was definitely an underrated show and an underrated group of people. To make a long story short, when the going got tough, we unified and got tougher. I've never been as proud to be associated with a group of people ANYWHERE as I am with this corps.

It was actually one of the third sopranos.

Can we have his name?

(And address... :worthy: )

Can we have his name?

(And address... :blink: )

Assuming what I heard was true, (missed that summer...) here's a hint: he played a part in the "I'm wet!" saga (or was it "I'm still wet"?? I haven't watched those tapes in years...) and had a brother who played a baritone solo in both BD and Sky Ryders...

I'm sure he wasn't the first, and won't be the last, Regiment player to frack a cutoff, though his was certainly one of the most spectacular. The funniest one I heard happened during a winter camp. We were playing (for the heck of it) the opener from 87. The arrangement called for FFF, "con scrot." (Gotta love Jim Wren) He missed a cutoff and managed to play the note all by himself, "scrot" and all. He earned a nickname that day...

Assuming what I heard was true, (missed that summer...) here's a hint: he played a part in the "I'm wet!" saga (or was it "I'm still wet"?? I haven't watched those tapes in years...) and had a brother who played a baritone solo in both BD and Sky Ryders...

I'm sure he wasn't the first, and won't be the last, Regiment player to frack a cutoff, though his was certainly one of the most spectacular. The funniest one I heard happened during a winter camp. We were playing (for the heck of it) the opener from 87. The arrangement called for FFF, "con scrot." (Gotta love Jim Wren) He missed a cutoff and managed to play the note all by himself, "scrot" and all. He earned a nickname that day...

That's the guy, Cory.

1991- Most exciting Regiment show ever, IMO. Very underrated.

1993- Wow. :)

1996- Most emotional Regiment (or any) show ever.

My favorite Phantom Regiment selections:

1. Ballet Suite No. 4, Intro - Shostakovich (1996)

2. Symphony No 1, mvt. 2 - Shostakovich (1996)

3. Fire of Eternal Glory - Shostakovich (1993)

4. Ostinato - Bartók (2003)

5. Wild Nights - Adams (2003)

6. Rite of Spring - Stravinsky (2000)

7. Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Rachmaninov (1995)

8. Symphony No. 9 - Dvorak (1989, yes the whole #### thing)

9. Death Hunt - Herrmann (1993)

10. Sanctus - Pachelbel (2003)

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see them this year, but here's my top 10:

1. 1978. Said it before, blah blah, best show of all time.

2. 1983. My rookie year. Saw them at the first show, saw them at finals, saw them in between. A great year of work from them. It was the first time in years, I think, that they hadn't been squeaky clean out of the gate, but they got awesome by the end and milked this show.

3. 1980. I still think this may be the greatest marching performance ever. You could eat off that drill. Horn trees!

4. 1996. An emotionally devastating show. Brilliantly programmed. And a hot DM doesn't hurt.

5. 1979. So clean. So tasty. So close.(Almost ruined by DM Phil Weiskircher's hissy fit during the final scores.)

6. 1989. A great nod to 1977, and a brilliant visual program. "Goin' Home" may be my favorite PR ballad.

7. 1991. Another great nod to 1977, and one of the best kic-azz closers of all time. Brilliant use of signifiers, too.

8. 1981. 82 was cleaner, but seeing those shields for the first time in the opener...Never forget it.

9. 1982. From day 1, so clean. So hot at the runoff in DeKalb. What a great corps.

10. 1993. Big fun, and another great nod to the past with the Danza Final.

ugh. How to limit this to 10. Sheesh.

The "Uber" years - truly a toss up to rank them:

1 -- 2006 I still can't get the glorious, closing melodies or the ballad out of my head. I hope this design team makes like the Cavalier's crew, and stays together for a long, long time.

2 -- 1993 As everyone else has said, this show had it all. Fire of Eternal Glory, the crab Wedge, you name it. One more week and who knows. This show rocked the stadium.

3 -- 1996 Emotion & perfect execution - when have they ever so seemlessly merged? The tortured corps, like the artist portrayed, finally triumphs

4 -- 1989 2nd best for that year (debatable) and apparently, 2nd favorite of all time. Amazing brass performance. Some mock the ballad - I loved it.

The rest of my cherished favs:

5 - 2003 Flawed in some ways (if only Sage/Thompson were already there in 2003), but maybe the best brass book ever (rivals 2006, for sure). The close of the show never ceases to get me, and the crowd reaction is maybe 2nd to Scouts 1995 for the loudest & longest I can ever remember.

6 - 1991 Operatic pagentry at it's best. I would LOVE to see another opera show, or borrow some of the Verdi from Colt's 1999 show.

7 - 1979 Elsa's. Enough Said

8 - 1982 Spartacus - the sequel that was better than the original

9 - 2005 Sheer Joy, from end to end.

10- 1990 Visual perfection - both in design & execution.

Honorable Mentions: 1995, 2000, 1994 (for Claire De Lune alone) amd 1997

Harvey