Warrenton, VA - Brief Review

Pacific Crest (8th Place, 73.2) - Opening soloists were ROUGH, about as bad a start as you can have. Many ensemble issues, trumpets overhanging releases and contras overblowing, for example. Overall seemed really sloppy in execution. The music is highly accessible, and "City of Angels" brings back fond memories from Madison 91/92 seasons. It's good to see them on the east coast, and on an positive note they performed better than last year.

Capital Regiment (7th place, 78.7) - The Work, Rest, and Play theme probably seemed like a good idea on paper. However, the Work and Rest portions of the show really didn't work for me. The distinctions between the two were lost in a lot of staging commotion. If there was ever an opportunity for a voice-over narration - THIS IS IT! The corps kept "falling asleep" for most of the show. It's a cute idea at first, but it gets old and goes on way too long. The "Play" portion of the show was incredibly fun -- I just wish there was more.

Crossmen (6th place, 80.55) - They got robbed! I really saw it as a horse race between Crossmen, Glassmen, and Spirit in the middle pack. The "Changing Lanes" show is truly innovative and would probably be doing much better if they were wearing the uniforms of their sister corps. However, the first 1/3 of the show lacked clarify and direction (not sure how to "fix" that), and the ballad was pretty ordinary and a little out of place. I think they could've skipped it and just kick it up another notch with the closer.

Glassmen (3rd place, 84.9) - Absolutely loved it! There was some sloppiness around the edges but there were a couple moments that highlighted the evening: 1) The big impact in moonlight 2) The deafness of Beethoven. The downside is -- strangely enough, The opening (I get what's going on with the "symphonic" staging, it's just not very effective) and the closing which seemed to run out of steam. Also the performance opening seemed a little ratty compared to the strong Crossmen closing.

Colts (5th place, 81.0) - Zzzzzzz. The guy next to me thought they were robbed. Not sure I agree. Really basic drill and not really memorable. Well performed and executed. I'd seriously consider making a change in visual and music arrangement staff in '07 -- the kids deserve better.

Spirit (4th place, 84.65) - Loudest corps of the night. Drill was forgettable. The theme of Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue was not clear. A little narration (believe it or not), would have probably helped. Maybe tell more of a story with a bride on her wedding day... I dunno, it's too late for any kind of massive re-writes.

Madison (2nd place, 86.65) - The drill book is absolutely insane. There are some aspects of running around and parking and blowing, but these are in terms of running 30-40 yards at full-speed, stopping on a dime and cranking out a face peeling lick. If they can get the drill clean by finals, this show could be a top-6 spoiler. Their use of space and staging is incredible -- especially during the ballad when retreating into the corner. Video capture just doesn't grab the essence.

SCV (1st place, 89.80) - First time I saw this show, I thought it was too gimmicky. Now, I think it's a blast. The perpetual motion theme is really coming out. The drill is incredible to watch, folks in the audience were gasping at the velocity and close proximity. One slip-up and someone could've seriously gotten hurt. Amazing and exhilarating to watch. Beautiful sound, and had some of the loudest "impact" statements of the night. I had them down for 90.8, for what it's worth.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts (5th place, 81.0) - I'd seriously consider making a change in visual and music arrangement staff in '07 -- the kids deserve better.

This year's show is arguably their best musical program/arrangement in corps history :lol:

Spirit (4th place, 84.65) - Loudest corps of the night. Drill was forgettable. The theme of Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue was not clear. A little narration (believe it or not), would have probably helped. Maybe tell more of a story with a bride on her wedding day... I dunno, it's too late for any kind of massive re-writes.

This theme has nothing to do with a Bride on her wedding day.....It's Spirit's 30th Anniversary show, thats why all the "throw back" tunes.......High Step marching sequence......Never mind!

Thanks for Your Time......

Enjoyed the show last night...my DCI Finals since I'm not attending anything else this year.

A couple quick points...

Pacific Crest has a great Tuba sound

Crossmen have a great Tuba sound

Crossmen also have some soloist action going on...Al is influencing bigtime!

Scouts drumline is moving around a little bit...sheesh!

I only saw one corps with the soundboard guy communicating with someone upstairs to adjust the levels. Seems like a simple thing...the guy upstairs tells the board operator to TURN THINGS DOWN. I was blown away (literally) by the amps of a few groups...others did it really well and tastefully.

More later....

Enjoyed the show last night...my DCI Finals since I'm not attending anything else this year.

A couple quick points...

Pacific Crest has a great Tuba sound

Crossmen have a great Tuba sound

double post

Edited by drewbugler

The Quote button isn't working right now. I'm referring back to lowbrassdad's response to jimcporter.

Thanks, lowbrassdad, for saving me the effort of explaining Spirit's theme to the OP. Something tells me he wouldn't have liked it anyway, as he didn't have many positive things to say about it beyond that. :(

The theme was an effort to show how drum corps has changed in the thirty years Spirit has been participating - the flags have the traditional delta, but modernized somewhat. The only part that really needs to be "explained" is that the "new" part is from The Notebook and the "borrowed" part is from Madison Scouts in 1984. Other than that - the old part should be fairly obvious, as well as the blue part. Sorry you didn't like it, Mr. Porter. You're correct - it's too late for any massive re-writes. Hopefully, the judges will continue to see what they've been seeing and Spirit's finalist status will help explain the theme a little better to you.

My only other comment is that I disagree with Glassmen's opening not being very effective. I think it's awesome. If you've ever been to the symphony, that's EXACTLY what they do. They warm up, all kinds of discord is heard, and then suddenly - kaboom! The color guard's facial expressions and chatting among themselves - as if they were the genteel audience members waiting for the concert to begin - are clever and performed quite well. I LOVE this Glassmen show (saw it in Baton Rouge in person just before the rainout).

I do appreciate your review. Thanks so much for giving us your insights.

Edited by Spirit Guard Mom

The Quote button isn't working right now. I'm referring back to lowbrassdad's response to jimcporter.

Thanks, lowbrassdad, for saving me the effort of explaining Spirit's theme to the the OP. Something tells me he wouldn't have liked it anyway, as he didn't have many positive things to say about it beyond that. :(

My only other comment is that I disagree with Glassmen's opening not being very effective. I think it's awesome. If you've ever been to the symphony, that's EXACTLY what they do. They warm up, all kinds of discord is heard, and then suddenly - kaboom! The color guard's facial expressions and chatting among themselves - as if they were the genteel audience members waiting for the concert to begin - are clever and performed quite well. I LOVE this Glassmen show (saw it in Baton Rouge in person just before the rainout).

I do appreciate your review. Thanks so much for giving us your insights.

Love Glassmen as well, think their show is awesome......and it's ok if he didn't like Spirit, not everyone is going to like every show. I'm not crazy on BK this year BUT I know they put a lot of hard work in, and that others love it....It's drum corps....a little something for everyone. AT least he acknowledged Spirit's "face peel" factor.....

Regards...

Edited by lowbrassdad