Warrenton, VA - Brief Review

The Quote button isn't working right now. I'm referring back to lowbrassdad's response to jimcporter.

Thanks, lowbrassdad, for saving me the effort of explaining Spirit's theme to the OP. Something tells me he wouldn't have liked it anyway, as he didn't have many positive things to say about it beyond that. :(

The theme was an effort to show how drum corps has changed in the thirty years Spirit has been participating - the flags have the traditional delta, but modernized somewhat. The only part that really needs to be "explained" is that the "new" part is from The Notebook and the "borrowed" part is from Madison Scouts in 1984. Other than that - the old part should be fairly obvious, as well as the blue part. Sorry you didn't like it, Mr. Porter. You're correct - it's too late for any massive re-writes. Hopefully, the judges will continue to see what they've been seeing and Spirit's finalist status will help explain the theme a little better to you.

My only other comment is that I disagree with Glassmen's opening not being very effective. I think it's awesome. If you've ever been to the symphony, that's EXACTLY what they do. They warm up, all kinds of discord is heard, and then suddenly - kaboom! The color guard's facial expressions and chatting among themselves - as if they were the genteel audience members waiting for the concert to begin - are clever and performed quite well. I LOVE this Glassmen show (saw it in Baton Rouge in person just before the rainout).

I do appreciate your review. Thanks so much for giving us your insights.

###

Here are some ideas for Spirit on making this theme work...

--> Old. Why in the world didn't Spirit pick "Georgia on my Mind?" It's an all-time DCI classic. Is Alabama the hang-up?

--> New. An original comissioned piece. I'm sure Philip Glass would be happy to help out. A slap-in-the-face to aspiring artists.

--> Borrowed. Why not do a Phantom Regiment "Wedge?" or a Cadets "Z-Pull?" while playing tribute to a previous champion? (e.g., Scouts '88)

--> Blue. Frank Sinatra ("Old Blue Eyes") has a TON of usable material.

It's definitely too late for massive changes, but explaining in a voice-over narrative would help immensly. Some of us just don't have 30 years of DCI "Ah hahs..." when it comes to Spirit.

###

The Glassmen opening would be more effective if a super-sick drill led into the opening notes. Even a silent scatter-drill from random points in the field would "earn" the right to play at stand-still for 30-45 seconds. We've all been to (maybe performed and/or written) a "Symphony," and we "get it." Scouts have the right idea.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

###

--> Old. Why in the world didn't Spirit pick "Georgia on my Mind?" It's an all-time DCI classic. Is Alabama the hang-up?

--> New. An original comissioned piece. I'm sure Philip Glass would be happy to help out. A slap-in-the-face to aspiring artists.

--> Borrowed. Why not do a Phantom Regiment "Wedge?" or a Cadets "Z-Pull?" while playing tribute to a previous champion? (e.g., Scouts '88)

It's definitely too late for massive changes, but explaining in a voice-over narrative would help immensly. Some of us just don't have 30 years of DCI "Ah hahs..." when it comes to Spirit.

###

The Glassmen opening would be more effective if a super-sick drill led into the opening notes. Even a silent scatter-drill from random points in the field would "earn" the right to play at stand-still for 30-45 seconds. We've all been to (maybe performed and/or written) a "Symphony," and we "get it." Scouts have the right idea.

Maybe Spirit is trying to introduce the modern drum corps audience to a little drum corps history. I think the songs Spirit chose are true their history. Yes, Georgia On My Mind is part of that history, but it was only used as an opening statement. And, they did something like the Georgia intro for a good part of the '80's. The new part of the show fits them as well. They usually do not do original works. The borrowed suggestions you gave are not part of their character either. Buddy Rich and jazz are true to the theme of the show and who they are (Nuttville '79). The blue...I can't think of anything better than Blues in the Night/Blue Shades.

Just my opinion. :)

###

The first two songs have "Old" in the title. Old Man River, specifically, was used by Spirit extensively during what are fondly referred to as "The Glory Years." "Old Black Magic" is peppy and fun and they play the devil out of it.

Alabama is certainly not the hang-up, as "Georgia on My Mind" is still the corps' theme song. They continue to play it during standstills, as warm-ups, and at the end of rehearsal days.

All of this having been said, I CAN understand why you feel the theme needs explanation. The middle two had to be explained to me as well because I wasn't familiar with The Notebook or Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters from the Scouts 1984 show, as I was busy that summer giving birth to this child who is aging out of Spirit next week.

I am so glad someone said that about the Crossmen getting higher scores if they were wearing their sister corps uniforms. I have thought that same thing. They were robbed.

###

###

I would guess that it is because it is not in the Spirit tradition. It would be like if Blue Devils decided to borrow from someone else and play "Firebird Suite" to pay tribute to Phantom Regiment 1978. Head scratching to the max!

Narration in Spirit's show? Very funny.

Spirit goes out and they play incredible music with some great drill. That's really all a drum corps needs to do. Sit back and enjoy the music in the drill...no "backstory" necessary.

###

I'm not sure I see how this is any better than what Spirit is already doing. How is borrowing another corps visual moves or paying tribute to a previous champion going to solve the issue you point out of not having 30 years of DCI experience? And didn't they do this by borrowing Blue Shades (99 Co-Champion SCV played that one)? How is playing Glass or an original work more "New" than playing a new song from the movie The Notebook? Isn't that new song also "new"? And What's wrong with Old Man River? They played it before, the title begins with "Old", and it's a great tune. Works just as well as Georgia. Why is a Frank Sinatra tune more "Blue" than Blues in the Night or Blue Shades?

Personally, I think Spirit's show works just fine. They don't really need a "theme" to make the show work. They could scrap the show title, and it would still be a good show. WHY on earth would this show need narration? :blink:

I'm not sure I see how this is any better than what Spirit is already doing. How is borrowing another corps visual moves or paying tribute to a previous champion going to solve the issue you point out of not having 30 years of DCI experience? And didn't they do this by borrowing Blue Shades (99 Co-Champion SCV played that one)? How is playing Glass or an original work more "New" than playing a new song from the movie The Notebook? Isn't that new song also "new"? And What's wrong with Old Man River? They played it before, the title begins with "Old", and it's a great tune. Works just as well as Georgia. Why is a Frank Sinatra tune more "Blue" than Blues in the Night or Blue Shades?

Personally, I think Spirit's show works just fine. They don't really need a "theme" to make the show work. They could scrap the show title, and it would still be a good show. WHY on earth would this show need narration? :blink:

--> I enjoyed it (love the volume), but it's just not top 6 material. Stitching together a cohesive and accessible theme is a requirement to make those slots. I felt lost. That's all...

--> I enjoyed it (love the volume), but it's just not top 6 material. Stitching together a cohesive and accessible theme is a requirement to make those slots. I felt lost. That's all...

2001 Cadets: Juxtaperformance. A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra , Moondance, Vide Cor Meum and Farandole.

No unifying theme, no narration.... nothing except great execution and selling the performance. Tied for 2nd place that year. :)

2001 Cadets: Juxtaperformance. A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra , Moondance, Vide Cor Meum and Farandole.

No unifying theme, no narration.... nothing except great execution and selling the performance. Tied for 2nd place that year. :)

--> That was so 5 years ago. Bring out the marching timpanis.

Edited by jimcporter