• Carolina Crown
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Knights
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Madison Scouts
    • Glassmen
    • Spirit
    • Colts

I don't think one corps has any more class than another. We all have it in one way or another.

While this is true with the uniforms off perhaps, with regards to behavior in-uniform, specifically pre-retreat and during retreat, this is FAR from the truth -- there are certain corps that choose to hold themselves to a level of professionalism during these times and there are corps that choose to disregard any and all tradition and respect for the activity and those around them. While there may be individuals that take the disrespect to higher levels, it was pretty clear by a corps by corps basis what to expect in regards to retreat behavior.

Ask anyone that marched recent years (before they got rid of retreats). All corps ARE NOT created equal when it comes to etiquette and indeed CLASS they display during these formal and offical parts of the activity. Unless you think throwing pieces of candy at other corps while they're standing at attention is classy, or intentionally breaking ranks, or cursing at other corps, or making extremely CRUDE sexual comments, or what would border on complete verbal assault, then you're completely mistaken.

This is an absurd notion that plays into the politically correct "everyone is nice, don't say anything bad about any corps because surely it isn't true" ideal that has become all too prevalent on DCP.

Edited by TimEuph

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but some are recognized for it more than others, by their actions mostly.

That is more just a matter of opinion. You ask 10 different people, you'd probably get 10 different answers.

I feel like you are taking offense to my point, and you shouldn't.

Do I feel like SCV is a classy corps. . .heck yeah. But, I think they all are!

Unless you think throwing pieces of candy at other corps while they're standing at attention is classy, or intentionally breaking ranks, or what would border on complete verbal assault, then you're mistaken.

As an alumnus, I hope you're not talking about members of the Vanguard. That would tarnish the star very much, and the reputation that Gail Royer built for decades in this activity.

I'd be extremely embarrased if Vanguard members did these things you're talking about, and would kindly speak to the corps director about them. It's not the Vanguard way, and shows complete disrespect and disregard for others. :(

But, I think they all are!

Sadly, that isn't the truth. Drum corps isn't some utopic activity where all are the same. Corps have their identities (inlcuding corps with more class than others), some of which were a big wake up call to reality during my rookie year.

Without standing in the ranks next to the other corps, it would be hard and pretty much close to impossible to know who conducts themselves in what manner; I considered myself a huge fan of the activity before I marched and yet had no idea. And again, there are individuals but the trend from corps to corps is usually pretty uniform.

Edited by TimEuph

As an alumnus, I hope you're not talking about members of the Vanguard. That would tarnish the star very much, and the reputation that Gail Royer built for decades in this activity.

I'd be extremely embarrased if Vanguard members did these things you're talking about, and would kindly speak to the corps director about them. It's not the Vanguard way, and shows complete disrespect and disregard for others. :(

Certainly was not the Vanguard. They were always a professional and upstanding corps during retreat and other such activities. I can only think of one instance during my four years that I marched in which a Vanguard member did something questionable.. and it was merely that, not any of the asinine behavior I mentioned.

Edited by TimEuph

Former University of Georgia football coach Vince Dooley used to admonish players who did a victory dance after a touchdown, "When you get to the endzone, act like you've been there before".

Being gracious and modest in success is a sure sign of a gentleman or lady. Whether one just won the football game, sank the winning putt, or defeated another lawyer in court, being genteel and unassuming is just so more much impressive than loud, obnoxious grandstanding.

"Tacky" needs to be called out for what it is, and shunned like Hester Prynne.

This is an absurd notion that plays into the politically correct "everyone is nice, don't say anything bad about any corps because surely it isn't true" ideal that has become all too prevalent on DCP.

I know the corps you're talking about, because they were doing the same things ten years before you marched, during my days with Regiment.

However...

Out of uniform, I never really had any issues with any corps...except one. And that was really just one individual...a baritone player from a certain perennial Top Five corps who talked so much trash at me during an I&E event that it took ALL of my willpower to not rub it in his face when I beat him by 5 points.

But then again, it's just an individual, not the whole corps...though i will admit, it soured me on that particular corps for a few years...until I realised that you can't hold an entire organization to fault for the actions of a few.

Certainly, there are asswipes in every corps, and during retreat, you can find them tossing candy at you, or calling you a ###, or putting their foot in your block. But overall, I'd still say that unless it's a policy of the corps itself, you're just always going to have creeps like this.

While it may not be a specific policy, the fact that this corps in question has been doing the SAME things for TEN YEARS is proof that it is a corps-specific issue. The behavior is maintained as a part of the corps identity through the older members actions being reflected and carried on by the younger members. Drum corps puts a lot of emphasis on seniority and tradition (even negative traditions), and younger members are quick to act just as the older ones do and then later instill the same things in newer members.

The things I listed in my original post were acts by a LOT of individuals in a few corps (specifically one), and by ZERO individuals in most corps. Considering this staggering difference, the "every corps has some bad apples" argument simply does not apply. If there were a few members in every corps doing those things, then that'd be a different story. Yes, while you may have ######## in every corps, the corps that allow them to have an outlet for their blatantly insolent behavior are the ones that should be held at fault.

The corps may not have a policy to act disrespectful or crude, but importantly they don't have a policy of NOT acting that way, as most do. It is clear that they are not taught or told to respect others or conduct themselves with honor, and that is not something that should be merely overlooked as an issue of individuals.

I have a big problem with any corps that knowingly allows someone with a crummy, unprofessional attitude to march, no matter how good or talented that person is.

Don't care if he or she is the most talented person ever. Your caught embarrassing the corps, there's the door. Bad behavior is remembered a lot longer than good behavior, and no corps can afford the cost to the their image, or to the activity, from abhorrent behavior that is tacitly allowed.

I'm pretty sure that corps directors are adamant about this, but they can't be everywhere all the time.