Official DCI Quarterfinals Cinecast Thread

Phoenix AMC was sold out too. My wife and two friends missed a chance at QuarterFinals. They are all out drinking and sulking.

I do need two tickets to finals Saturday night if anyone has any and is going to be in Madison. I'm driving from St. Louis tomorrow and going to see Div. II/III finals, but my son is in town and I'd like to take him to finals if at all possible. Last minute thing...

Tom Brace

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoenix AMC was sold out too. My wife and two friends missed a chance at QuarterFinals. They are all out drinking and sulking.

Yup, I know. I went today to go see (I was in Italy for nearly a week and never had the chance to buy tickets and I didn't get back until last night) I was sad about it too. I am puzzled by it though, because Classic Countdown was played in 3 different theaters, but Quarterfinals only in 1?

Cinecast was MUCH better this year. especially the Audio.

Only thing that bugged me was that there were several corps (including Regiment) that made you feel like you were at a colorguard show. I swear I didn't see but 45 seconds of Regiments drill and 10 minutes of the colorguard guy dressed as faust.

At any rate, the highlights of the evening for me were

Regiments Drum Line

BDs new ending

The Cavaliers whole show.

I have NEVER been a fan of the Cavaliers and their music, drill, and guard do nothing for me this year individually, but man do they have the total package.

I can see BD and PR fighting for second, but I'll be shocked if Cavies fall from first.

In Knoxville, we had bad thunderstorms and you know what that means! Lost the feed near the end of Bluecoats opener and didn't get it back until after Phantom's opener, although we did get to listen to audio of the Cadets. The manager handled it well, keeping the crowd informed and giving out free movie passes at the end. We also missed the audio at the very beginning up until Southwind stepped off. The sound wasn't cranked up until the 2nd corps but was good after that. I just wish they would have turned it down a little during Jessica's interviews. Her voice really loud kind of grates on you!

All in all, what a great job DCI has done!

Although I have a few things about the cine-cast that kind of made me mad..

Did anyone notice that the camera angles were SOOO annoying during the show? They would always be in the WRONG places at the wrong times, or whatever. Often they would focus on a random person during a big GE moment.

For instance...

they missed the ENTIRE part with the web for the bluecoats. ( the whole web thing with the streamers)

The missed the big Wave saber throws with the cadets, and basically every great moment in the show. Half the show was ZOOOMED in on the 1 dancer. Realllly annoying, too much going on in that show to do that.

Bluedevils, not toooo bad, but alwaays in the wrong place.

Cavaliers... WOW... they almost missed their HUGE moment with the " jello" like visual. and they totally missed the whole starting of the engine, and the guy gets knocked..

All in all, I would not usually complain. But the camera angles were horrible. They would always be focused WAAAy to close on a single member. I know that a live broadcast is not going to be perfect. But the team almost seemed to go out of their way to put it in the most odd places. I mean, I even caught myself saying " noooo, don't miss that... they can't miss that... that's important".. I heard people in the audience get the same reaction too.

anyone on the same page with me?

oh and btw, that madison guard interview was hilarious... maybe he was really dizzy?

I got back at 11pm from the theater. I was able to see the last two corps BD and Cavies. I noticed there were zero empty seats. It didn't look like anyone left early like at the classic. I was able to hand out just short of 50 flyers for my corps, out side the theater, as people left for home.

Everyone was very nice. :)

Thanks Drum Corps Fans.

I was surprised as well. Hard to find 2 empty seats next to each other for me and my buddy. :beer:

Decent crowd though, until it came to the vanguard yell. That was pretty much me screaming my lungs out.........

.....and some folks in the crowd at Camp Randall. I got some funny looks :P

they missed the ENTIRE part with the web for the bluecoats. ( the whole web thing with the streamers)

The missed the big Wave saber throws with the cadets, and basically every great moment in the show. Half the show was ZOOOMED in on the 1 dancer. Realllly annoying, too much going on in that show to do that.

Bluedevils, not toooo bad, but alwaays in the wrong place.

Cavaliers... WOW... they almost missed their HUGE moment with the " jello" like visual. and they totally missed the whole starting of the engine, and the guy gets knocked..

All in all, I would not usually complain. But the camera angles were horrible. They would always be focused WAAAy to close on a single member. I know that a live broadcast is not going to be perfect. But the team almost seemed to go out of their way to put it in the most odd places. I mean, I even caught myself saying " noooo, don't miss that... they can't miss that... that's important".. I heard people in the audience get the same reaction too.

anyone on the same page with me?

I definitely know what you mean...it's like the camera started out good but got progressively worse as the night went on. I had this picture in my head of the camera guys going, "Hey, remember in the 80s when the camera would focus way too long on one person who wasn't even playing and miss cool drill? I'm kinda bored so let's do that for a while...in fact let's see if we can find a stuffed bear that says You're the Best! and we can just shoot that for like five minutes...people will love it!"

I yelled out in horror, when I thought they were going to miss the Cavies 'jello-like move'. The quality of the video feed gets an A+, where the camera was pointed gets a mediocre C-.