Does tradition mean anything anymore?

How did I know that something similar to this was what I would see when I saw you had the last post.

It is a mystery

Edit: I am proud however that you have brought your average down to 7 out of 25 of your last posts.

I'm asking a valid question to which I would like an answer.

Thanks for taking the time to keep track of my posting history.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm asking a valid question to which I would like an answer.

Thanks for taking the time to keep track of my posting history.

What is innovative about any drum corps show this year?

Edit: No problem, it's really quite easy. You don't exactly make it difficult to find the anti-Cadets banter.

Edited by dbc03

What is innovative about any drum corps show this year?

Nothing. That's perfectly fine; I don't want to see innovation, I want to see some great drum corps shows that would be great twenty years ago, today, and twenty years from now. That's why 11 out of the 12 corps performing this year make for one of the best DCI seasons ever. I could see Spirit performing this exact same show (musically) in 1986 as well as 2026. And you know what? It's one of my favorite shows this year.

DCI has innovated enough to a point where show designers should be focusing on putting out great shows following the standards that have been set, rather than changing the entire structure of the activity (as the Cadets have tried to do with this year's show). The adding of amplified vocals has been the only actual addition to drum corps since the pit. Everything else was a necessary improvement on what was already in place. Drill needed to become asymmetrical to allow for more possibilities. Horns needed to include valves instead of rotors to improve the quality of sound, and horns went to Bb for the same reason (opinions may differ).

From 2000 to 2003, everything had been put into place. Nothing needed to be changed. However, according to same people, nothing can remain good without changing, so the allowing of amplified vocals came about. This wasn't an improvement of a preexisting element like every other "innovation" was. Not only are amplified vocals completely new, and not an improvement, but they are now responsible for being the only auditory element of drum corps that isn't musical. Everything sound a corps would produce from 1972 to 2003 would be music. Not so now.

When innovation is necessary, I welcome it with open arms. When it isn't, it can destroy something that once was good.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Nothing. That's perfectly fine; I don't want to see innovation, I want to see some great drum corps shows that would be great twenty years ago, today, and twenty years from now. That's why 11 out of the 12 corps performing this year make for one of the best DCI seasons ever. I could see Spirit performing this exact same show (musically) in 1986 as well as 2026. And you know what? It's one of my favorite shows this year.

DCI has innovated enough to a point where show designers should be focusing on putting out great shows following the standards that have been set, rather than changing the entire structure of the activity (as the Cadets have tried to do with this year's show). The adding of amplified vocals has been the only actual addition to drum corps since the pit. Everything else was a necessary improvement on what was already in place. Drill needed to become asymmetrical to allow for more possibilities. Horns needed to include valves instead of rotors to improve the quality of sound, and horns went to Bb for the same reason (opinions may differ).

From 2000 to 2003, everything had been put into place. Nothing needed to be changed. However, according to same people, nothing can remain good without changing, so the allowing of amplified vocals came about. This wasn't an improvement of a preexisting element like every other "innovation" was. Not only are amplified vocals completely new, and not an improvement, but they are now responsible for being the only auditory element of drum corps that isn't musical. Everything sound a corps would produce from 1972 to 2003 would be music. Not so now.

When innovation is necessary, I welcome it with open arms. When it isn't, it can destroy something that once was good.

:blah:

I have never innovation as a nessesity, but a desire. No one is forced to be creative and innovative; they choose to be.

if we stuck to tradition in dci we would still have about every corp ending with Battle Hymn of the Republic or stars and stripes forever

You got a problem with Sousa? Least you could do was use correct spelling. "The Stars and Stripes Forever March".

I don't want to hear any whining from you when the Chinese are running this country.

Mike

You got a problem with Sousa? Least you could do was use correct spelling. "The Stars and Stripes Forever March".

I don't want to hear any whining from you when the Chinese are running this country.

Wow. That went to a weird place.

Crossmen Alumni do a great job of keeping tradition alive at Bones through their annual history night. History is about stories and the storytelling at history night is excellent. The kids get a real sense of who they have joined and what they have become.

There are many traditions in Crossmen and I suspect elsewhere that are not visible to fans. The traditions are for the members only. Some like the Crossmen flag carried by the brass everywhere they go can be seen but may not be understood.

Tradition isn't necessarily keeping the same uniform or playing the same songs. It can be little things that a corps does preparing for a show or some other ritual or saying. Some traditions can be just for a season. Crossmen brass play and sing The Water is Wide for the corps after each performance and run through this year. Not sure how it started but it has become a tradition for this year. Maybe it will continue next season, maybe not.

as tevye would say......

A fiddler on the roof. Sounds crazy, no? But here, in our little village of Anatevka, you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy. You may ask 'Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?' Well, we stay because Anatevka is our home. And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word..... tradition!

Notice that for that little village and it's people...by the end the village was destroyed and the people scattered to the winds.

And notice that even Tevye was forced to accept change...however grudgingly...as his daughters married men far outside the 'norm' that he was used to.