Does tradition mean anything anymore?

You got a problem with Sousa? Least you could do was use correct spelling. "The Stars and Stripes Forever March".

I don't want to hear any whining from you when the Chinese are running this country.

Mike

Is this a joke?

Do you refer to it as the "Stars and Stripes Forever March"?

Do you think playing a patriotic tune at the end of a corps show will somehow stave off an invasion from another country?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not pointing this at any specific corps, and really, I'm not even pointing this at the activity... in general, I find in today's world tradition holds very little merit... I just want anyone elses' thoughts, in regards to drum corps, if tradition holds any merit anymore, or maybe, anywhere close to the merit it used to hold?

I think, when it comes to drum corps, tradition for tradition's sake is overrated. For that matter, so is innovation for innovation's sake.

I want to be entertained at a drum corps show. Certain corps have traditions I enjoy -- like the Conquest hit during a BAC show, for example, or the BD warmup. But there are other traditions that I find myself living without quite nicely, like G Bugles, or color presentations.

It's important to recognize that music in general, including drum corps, must constantly evolve. My musical tastes are much different than my parents and grandparents, and different from today's youth. And while I enjoyed the Bridgemen Alumni performance on Saturday night as a one-time thing, I wouldn't want to turn the clock back to 1976. Admittedly, I don't like all the innovations of today's corps but "more of the same" gets old after a while.

Nothing. That's perfectly fine; I don't want to see innovation,

Yes, you make that obvious.

DCI has innovated enough to a point where show designers should be focusing on putting out great shows following the standards that have been set, rather than changing the entire structure of the activity (as the Cadets have tried to do with this year's show).

The Cadets operate entirely within the structure of the activity in creating highly entertaining yet innovative shows...including 2006.

From 2000 to 2003, everything had been put into place. Nothing needed to be changed. However, according to same people, nothing can remain good without changing, so the allowing of amplified vocals came about. This wasn't an improvement of a preexisting element like every other "innovation" was. Not only are amplified vocals completely new, and not an improvement, but they are now responsible for being the only auditory element of drum corps that isn't musical. Everything sound a corps would produce from 1972 to 2003 would be music. Not so now.

Voice has been legal for decades. As in miccing the pit, miccing the voice makes it better.

Micced vocals are indeed 'music'. Whatever makes you think they are not?

When innovation is necessary, I welcome it with open arms. When it isn't, it can destroy something that once was good.

So if YOU like a change it is 'necessary'..otherwise it is destructive?

Is this a joke?

Do you refer to it as the "Stars and Stripes Forever March"?

Do you think playing a patriotic tune at the end of a corps show will somehow stave off an invasion from another country?

It is no joke.

I refer to the musical piece the way the composer titled it.

Your last statement shows you are a very shallow thinker you does not care to learn from history. Freedom needs to be maintained. There will always be someone out there more than willing to ###### your country up as theirs. When it becomes "uncool" to be patriotic, you make their task easir.

Mike (Sousa lover and proud of it)

Your last statement shows you are a very shallow thinker you does not care to learn from history. Freedom needs to be maintained. There will always be someone out there more than willing to ###### your country up as theirs. When it becomes "uncool" to be patriotic, you make their task easir.

Mike (Sousa lover and proud of it)

So not wanting to hear Sousa on the field = anti-American?

Interesting theory, Ghost of Joseph McCarthy.

I had a similar problem - albeit from the opposite perspective from the initial postee - when I joined Alpha Phi Omega (coed community service fraternity) in college. Some of the "traditions" seemed so silly... and incredibly outdated. And some of them were... and the ones that were started for a REASON that no longer EXISTED (like integration of the races, etc) I helped to eliminate. But some traditions whose purposes still were around I tried to help update or leave completely alone.

I think it is / should be the same way with corps. The uniform design tradition is still around, as it should be - it is involved with corps identity. But some other traditions (whatever your personal preference is for an example, insert it here) maybe SHOULD go away because the reason for their establishment in the first place is no longer around... *shrug*

Just my personal opinion :)

ok then, can you tell me what has been innovative in drum corps in the last 10 years?

I dont' think Innovation is the right word to use here. What we have seen is evolution. The last ten years have brought Bb horns, pit amplification, a true judged guard caption, and 135 member corps just to name a few.

To a few very jaded individuals that is just to much. It is all ruined, the sky is falling ect. ect. But if you stand back and un-focus you drum corps eyes you see that it truely is the same as it ever was. Kids, brass, drums, flags, rifles, good times, diesel. People get caught up in the details to much.

So to answer your question. Nothing is all that innovative, just a little more evolved. Not even very different for the most part. The innovation is that in forums such as these the complainers can bother more folks then those around them at shows, if they attend shows that is.

The innovation is that in forums such as these the complainers can bother more folks then those around them at shows, if they attend shows that is.

Seconded.

as tevye would say......

A fiddler on the roof. Sounds crazy, no? But here, in our little village of Anatevka, you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy. You may ask 'Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?' Well, we stay because Anatevka is our home. And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word..... tradition!

I love it! Way to go "Tevye!"