Does tradition mean anything anymore?

A full retreat would add more entertainment value to the show. If corps played themselves off the field maybe additional tradition would come back and we could here "you'll Never Walk Alone", "Conquest" and other Corps theme songs. Then the winning corps which is already on the field could play their encore.

Just some thoughts.

The main complaint about the old retreat format is that corps that go on early have to stick around just as long as the corps that go on late (and get more rehearsal as a result). Eliminating full retreat allows the earlier corps to be on their way if they want so they can get more floor time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress without tradition= lack of identity Tradition without progress= stagnation Tradition + Progress = B)

Great, so she's rapping.

Hey, I'm not defending it. I'm just sayin'. I really, really, really don't care for the Cadets' show this year (although I say that only having seen them on Season Pass), but I'm not going to let that cloud the facts.

Re: Retreat

I don't really NEED the full retreat with corps playing off the field and stuff, but I miss having everyone come on the field for America/O Canada. It was the perfect culmination of everything we'd seen that night. Just having the drum majors come out is stupid. I don't see how this is benefitting the corps, either, because from what I've seen, they're still hanging around at the end. To #### with bailing out of a show. When I was in band, we were taught to stick around and listen to the other ensembles perform, and you know what, I had no problem with this. It's the right thing to do. Anyway, sorry about the tangent. Just give me an actual finale.

Re: Retreat

I don't really NEED the full retreat with corps playing off the field and stuff, but I miss having everyone come on the field for America/O Canada. It was the perfect culmination of everything we'd seen that night. Just having the drum majors come out is stupid. I don't see how this is benefitting the corps, either, because from what I've seen, they're still hanging around at the end. To #### with bailing out of a show. When I was in band, we were taught to stick around and listen to the other ensembles perform, and you know what, I had no problem with this. It's the right thing to do. Anyway, sorry about the tangent. Just give me an actual finale.

I'm sure you realize this, but drum corps is not your high school band. Drum corps don't go home and sleep in their own beds or a hotel at the end of the show.

And it takes some big coconuts to put out something you know not everyone will even try to accept. Innovation is tough for you fall down more often then you soar.

Tradition is alive and well. The tradition of Kids giving up there summer jobs, video games, and couches to get the @#$% knocked out of them to make 11 minutes of magic and a lifetime of memories. It is alive and well. The tradition of parents and drum corps junkies paying out big $ to get crammed together on hard metal bleachers to get their 11 minute fix and maybe a few brief hugs and a lungfull of diesel fumes. Alive and well. The tradition of small but vocal few complaining about how different it is from in 'the good ol days' and how much better things would be if drum corps followed their plan. Alive and well.

That is the way it was twenty years ago and still is today. Tradition marches on. Isn't it beautiful?

fantastic. the tradition of bad tanlines still lives on too!...

How do you get THAT from what she is doing? It's more along the lines of some of the stuff Enya does...I'd hardly call HER a rapper.

(He's talking about the Red Queen, not the singer.)