Does tradition mean anything anymore?

How do you get THAT from what she is doing? It's more along the lines of some of the stuff Enya does...I'd hardly call HER a rapper.

So, Mike, do you agree that the talking during the percussion feature is not musical, making narration the only non-musical auditory element of drum corps?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the taditional part of Drum Corps, but I have to admit that the perception depends on one's age. I certainly wouldn't advocate going back to the 50's or 60's. On the flip side of the coin, some of the things like vocals seem to be change just for the sake of change, which to me isn't a valid reason.

I'm sure you realize this, but drum corps is not your high school band. Drum corps don't go home and sleep in their own beds or a hotel at the end of the show.

Yeah, but they could easily do the retreat, couldn't they? They owe it to the fans to have a proper ending, not just "okay, that's the end. Bye"

So, Mike, do you agree that the talking during the percussion feature is not musical, making narration the only non-musical auditory element of drum corps?

People have been doing spoken vocals in drum corps a lot longer than they've been amplified.

People have been doing spoken vocals in drum corps a lot longer than they've been amplified.

Yes. But the first time narration (and spoken vocals a sentence or longer) were used in shows was 2004, the year amplification was allowed.

Not really. Narration can be a musical element of a piece, as has been shown many times (e.g. Lincoln Portrait).

Yes. But the first time narration (and spoken vocals a sentence or longer) were used in shows was 2004, the year amplification was allowed.

Before amps were allowed, some corps did all they could with what they had. Now that amps are legal, some corps are doing all they can with what they have, and that includes amped vocals. One reason why narration wasn't done before because it wasn't feasible without amplification. With the inclusion of amps, suddenly it's feasible. I'm not saying it's good, but for the first time it's a possibility whereas it wasn't before.