Best DM Ever

My wife, drum major of Reservoir Rangers, early 70's, then Regal Crownsmen mid 70's. She gives all her commands from the passenger seat now. Turn right, turn left, too fast, too slow ........

Hmm. I never gave much thought to the arm-wavers from a fan perspective, well except for Kristi's uh...........nevermind. :laugh:

I have to agree that the drum major is like an iceberg. What you see on the podium is not a true measure of what is there. Most of the measure of a drum majors worth is what happens off the field.

But if I have to pick one then I will be a homer and say Becky Wood (now Saddlemire). She was my drum major for three glorious years and ironically, I found myself under her direction once more some eighteen years later! I have known her for some over twenty years and she is one of the finest people I have ever known.

Roger Roussel Cavaliers 70-73

Jim Montgomery Troopers 70

Jim Zimney Freelancers Late 70's

Two of my favs.:

Mike (Zap) Zapanta SCV 79-82

John Oppedisano 27th Lancers 77-78

• Like 1

Well let me throw my two cents in here.

As a former DM myself, (and lets hear from more of you though we should not be allowed to vote because our egos would allow us only to vote for ourselves) and immediately preceeding Mr. Dwyer in the "quarterback club" as it was called in 27th, Gerard was a fine DM, (truth be told I recommended him as my replacement George B). Never saw Gerard perform DM duties but in the 27th world, I would be more partial to Mr. Jerry Boyle, the gentleman I replaced. Class act, commanding presence, respect of his peers, represented his organization well. I can't speak for DM's after Gerard, so let the debate begin.

Having marched with both, they were each excellent in many areas, but there were some very huge differences when it came to Gerard.

Jerry was the bomb too, it's a tough call!

There is a list I could give but it's not a contest, however my vote goes to Gerard Dwyer - 1980 Lancer of the Year.

Edited by LancerFi

PR89 - Mark Hourigan

Madison 88 - Whichever Feeney it was

Yup.

Add Galen K. to the list (91 Regiment). He was a fantastic drum major.

And that guy from the Freelancers (he's probably been mentioned...91?...I haven't read the whole thread...)