Sign in to follow this  
chaos001

Best DM Ever

Recommended Posts

Jerry Burdck-Cadets of Bergen County 1993

(also drum major for Michigan state)

Kristi spears-duh

and David Simon- 2003 Phantom Regiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Harloff - Star of Indiana 1993

I think he works with Avon HS in BOA and of course Crown!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That "black gentleman" was "Tommy" Andre Feagin. Worked with my old high school a while back. passionate guy. I wonder if Roderick Sanders is related to the current PR conductor, Darian Sanders? And no, I don't think that because they are both African-American, but it would be cool if they were :)

They are not related as Roderic's last name is Saunders not Sanders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always felt that only 10% of a DM's work is done on the field. The other 90% is interfacing with the director, staff and members, but I was never a DM so I don't claim to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've always felt that only 10% of a DM's work is done on the field. The other 90% is interfacing with the director, staff and members, but I was never a DM so I don't claim to know.

So true. If the criteria is on field conducting, showmanship, or charisma or what have, some of the very best DM's I've seen over the years are on the DCA side, not DCI. ..... there is a lengthy list of DM's on the DCA side that fall into the outstanding side when it comes to connecting with an audience and sheer showmanship. George Parks, current Band Director for the Univ. Massachusetts Marching Band, was one of the best ever. He was DM for the Reading Buccaneers in the 70's and 80's. Terrific DM.... 'Could direct, and used a large mace in the Corps performance that he utilized quite effectively.' Set up a DM school awhile back and has trained lots of Drum Corps and Band DM's..... there are lots of others who were outstanding on the DCA side over the years.

Edited by X DM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of excellent conductors from Phantom Regiment have been mentioned, but the finest I have seen was Mark Hourigan. 1989 was a magical year for the little corps from Rockford and he was one of the big reasons.

The man was hands down the finest conductor I ever saw on a field. There was no questioning his skills as a leader. He never screamed or threw temper tantrums. He led by example and we all followed. Even though 89 was his only year, he had five year vets following him without question. When he was on the podium, you never had any doubts.

He was one the most modest and humble people you will ever meet. And there was not one person, whether it be staff, members, or competetors that did not have respect and the highest regard for him. The fact that he won the first DCI Drum Major award in 89 was one of the few non-surprises that year.

He was the drum major's drum major - the measuring stick by which all other drum majors were compared.

He made you proud to be a part of the Phantom Regiment.

SUTA

Edited by SpookyKid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.