Best DM Ever

Apocalypse, your right

Hey that gives me an idea....completely off topic but I think

a Corps shouold do the soundtrack to "Apocalypse Now" :P

So true. If the criteria is on field conducting, showmanship, or charisma or what have, some of the very best DM's I've seen over the years are on the DCA side, not DCI. ..... there is a lengthy list of DM's on the DCA side that fall into the outstanding side when it comes to connecting with an audience and sheer showmanship. George Parks, current Band Director for the Univ. Massachusetts Marching Band, was one of the best ever. He was DM for the Reading Buccaneers in the 70's and 80's. Terrific DM.... 'Could direct, and used a large mace in the Corps performance that he utilized quite effectively.' Set up a DM school awhile back and has trained lots of Drum Corps and Band DM's..... there are lots of others who were outstanding on the DCA side over the years.

I agree about the entertainment you'd get from DCA DMs. In the juniors, it's just the opposite. They try to be hidden with the black uniforms and no interactions. Except for the DMs of Scouts during the 90s (and VK and Bridgemen of previous years) there really hasn't been any interaction between the DM and audience. They basically wave thier arms to keep the corps going. Even less body language. They are basically a human metromone. Yes, I do know there's a lot more than that, but if you're in the audience you don't see what they do off field so they have only what they do for 11 minutes to judge how good a DM really is...and there is not much difference between them.

• Like 1

Lauren Higgins....Academy 05, she would get on the stand, take off her shako, shake her hair, and people would say....IT'S A GIRL......everyone thought the DM would be a guy.....

Stuart Shulman SCV. he managed to keep the corps. together during 3 difficult years, specially in 05

Edited by Suviduvi

I agree about the entertainment you'd get from DCA DMs. In the juniors, it's just the opposite. They try to be hidden with the black uniforms and no interactions. Except for the DMs of Scouts during the 90s (and VK and Bridgemen of previous years) there really hasn't been any interaction between the DM and audience. They basically wave thier arms to keep the corps going. Even less body language. They are basically a human metromone. Yes, I do know there's a lot more than that, but if you're in the audience you don't see what they do off field so they have only what they do for 11 minutes to judge how good a DM really is...and there is not much difference between them.

"Best of the Best":

Seniors: Ralph Silverbrand, Hawthorne Caballeros 1957-1967. The ultimate 'leader' both on and off the field. Never did a senior show of that era go by with out "Go Get em' Ralph" LOUDLY being offered from the grandstands.

"Longevity Award":

Jimmmy Russo, Hawthorne Caballeros. Thirty five years of "Leading the Band".

Honorable Mentions: William Hooten Reilly Raiders, Scott Chapelle Norman Prince, Joe Genero Connecticut Hurricanes, George Parks Reading Buccaneers, Alan Smythe Rochester Crusaders, & Walt Winkleman New York Skyliners.

Juniors: Frank Brisenden & Wally Curtis, St Kevins Emerald Knights, 1959-1963. Showmanship and leadership abilities in a class of their own.

Honorable Mentions: Alice Dobson & Lillian Gaudette Bridgeport PAL Cadets, Al LaRocca Blessed Sacrament, James Stokinger Boston Crusaders, Scott Poulson Racine Kilties, Pete Emmons Casper Troopers, Joel Alyanne Oakland Crusaders, Charles Gallant St Raphaels Buccaneers, & Matt Springfelt Argonne Rebels.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

"Best of the Best":

Seniors: Ralph Silverbrand, Hawthorne Caballeros 1957-1967. The penultimate 'leader' both on and off the field.

I don't get your usage of penultimate in this context.

From way back before DCI:

Scott Poulsen - Racine Kilties

Don't know if this is the same guy but we were competing in Racine in 1972 - had finished our show and were watching Kilties on the field. We were hanging around the stairs of the grandstand when the drum major from Kilties came towards us and commanded us to 'MOVE! NOW!'. You never saw a bunch of girls move so fast - there was no way anyone would have not responded. The crowds parted like the Red Sea to allow him up into the stands to finish conducting the show.

His presence, stature and command of the entire situation left us telling the story for a number of years after that to the rookies.

kel