Best DM Ever

Drum Major, Field Commander/Conductor...however u choose to call them, who sticks out in your mind as the best/most memorable in DCI History.

1. Kristy Spears (nuff said)

2. Tommy Feagin

3. Jacob Rau

Tommy Feagin (Phantom)

Reginald Brown (Spirit of Atlanta mid-80's)

The guy in the Glassmen this year was a good conductor

DCA: George Park, Jim Russo and the lead DM with the Buc's this year.....

Triple Forte

Christian Baughman-Colts

• Like 1

They did? :lolhit:

Should have been more specific...

The TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL BAND girls loved him!

As far as leadership I have to give a huge nod to Gerard Dwyer 79 & 80 DM of 2-7. He and we went thru a lot as I know many other corps did, but he was worth fighting for when it came time to do that! It was the type of thing, no Gerard, no drum corps.

Leadership personified!

I still remember the stories about Gerard from my brothers. In 85 he was on second tour with us and he helped me get through a tough time. From everything i herad about him(including yelling at the staff for being late?) He was probably the best DM 27 ever had. When my brother was Dm in 84 he tired to be a little like Gerard but the corp was different then.

• 5 weeks later...

Well let me throw my two cents in here.

As a former DM myself, (and lets hear from more of you though we should not be allowed to vote because our egos would allow us only to vote for ourselves) and immediately preceeding Mr. Dwyer in the "quarterback club" as it was called in 27th, Gerard was a fine DM, (truth be told I recommended him as my replacement George B). Never saw Gerard perform DM duties but in the 27th world, I would be more partial to Mr. Jerry Boyle, the gentleman I replaced. Class act, commanding presence, respect of his peers, represented his organization well. I can't speak for DM's after Gerard, so let the debate begin.

But I did teach a little after marching and saw some great DM's. Of significant mention: Mr. Steve Sanger of the 82 Blue Devils. Great presence, command of his corps (and he led some extremely talented and well, how shall we say "endowed egos" in the horn line with consistency and excellence. A pleasure to work with him.

I also worked with James G of BD fame who was a rarified breed in his a day, or any day for that matter, a DM who served over 4 years on a nationally competitive corps. No doubt he grew into the job, and by the time he was done was as good as anyone who ever stood on a podium.

My three.

Well let me throw my two cents in here.

As a former DM myself, (and lets hear from more of you though we should not be allowed to vote because our egos would allow us only to vote for ourselves) and immediately preceeding Mr. Dwyer in the "quarterback club" as it was called in 27th, Gerard was a fine DM, (truth be told I recommended him as my replacement George B). Never saw Gerard perform DM duties but in the 27th world, I would be more partial to Mr. Jerry Boyle, the gentleman I replaced. Class act, commanding presence, respect of his peers, represented his organization well. I can't speak for DM's after Gerard, so let the debate begin.

But I did teach a little after marching and saw some great DM's. Of significant mention: Mr. Steve Sanger of the 82 Blue Devils. Great presence, command of his corps (and he led some extremely talented and well, how shall we say "endowed egos" in the horn line with consistency and excellence. A pleasure to work with him.

I also worked with James G of BD fame who was a rarified breed in his a day, or any day for that matter, a DM who served over 4 years on a nationally competitive corps. No doubt he grew into the job, and by the time he was done was as good as anyone who ever stood on a podium.

And I would be remis in my devotion to my brethern if I should slight the ever popular, ever engaging, always entertaining, and without equal, the one, the only, Mr. Michael Zapanta, SCV Legend, who had the second greatest command voice in DCI history.

My picks.

Tommy Feagin, David Simon, Will Pitts, and Stuart Shulman