Best DM Ever

Very funny Matt...ha...

Many thanks to those that think I left some "mark" on DCI other than the sweat I left behind from my 2 years with VK in 1986 and 1987. I find it cool and very sweet that I am getting to go back this year (LEAVING TOMORROW!!!) and experience Camp Randall again.

There are so many great drum majors through the years...if you take a moment and visit my blog, you can read about the contribution of one particular drum major who all but disappeared from the activity and has now made a triumphant return to be a guest performer with the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. I speak fondly and very respectfully of one of the TRUE greats of this activity, and who should be at the top of ANY list from ANY year...and that would be of course Carl Allison from the Sacramento Freelancers in 1982 and 1983.

I have a special place in my heart for Becky Woods as well. Wonder where she is now.

Wasn't fond of him personally, but someone brought him up, and he was a very good conductor and had a #### of a run with the Garfield Cadets, and that was Richard Armstrong.

Can't forget one of the great MODERN era drum majors of all time, and while I can't ignore the talents of greats like Stuart Schulman or Daemon Williams, the best modern SCV drum major I believe to grace the podium was Mark Irons...BY FAR. There was JUST enough of a flair of the exuberance and enthusiasm he brought from his award-winning high school drum majoring days, but he effectively combined it with the SCV style and mystique...and was richly rewarded as Best DCI Drum Major in 2001, and deservedly so.

I'm going to get my butt kicked I'm sure because I can't remember his name, but he was the black gentlemen that conducted Phantom when they did "Festive Overture". I think that's Roderick Saunders, right? THAT man could conduct his ### off and made me look like a lame-o. HE ROCKED. I love watching the percussion angle on the last 2 minutes of the show because you really catch some great shots of him conducting. BRAVO!!!

But so many people over the years--historically and modern era...just amazing that I'm part of the "fraternity" of drum majors that have come and gone in this crazy ### activity.

• Like 1

I'm going to get my butt kicked I'm sure because I can't remember his name, but he was the black gentlemen that conducted Phantom when they did "Festive Overture". I think that's Roderick Saunders, right? THAT man could conduct his ### off and made me look like a lame-o. HE ROCKED. I love watching the percussion angle on the last 2 minutes of the show because you really catch some great shots of him conducting. BRAVO!!!

The incomparable Tommy Feagin

Very funny Matt...ha...

Many thanks to those that think I left some "mark" on DCI other than the sweat I left behind from my 2 years with VK in 1986 and 1987. I find it cool and very sweet that I am getting to go back this year (LEAVING TOMORROW!!!) and experience Camp Randall again.

There are so many great drum majors through the years...if you take a moment and visit my blog, you can read about the contribution of one particular drum major who all but disappeared from the activity and has now made a triumphant return to be a guest performer with the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. I speak fondly and very respectfully of one of the TRUE greats of this activity, and who should be at the top of ANY list from ANY year...and that would be of course Carl Allison from the Sacramento Freelancers in 1982 and 1983.

I have a special place in my heart for Becky Woods as well. Wonder where she is now.

Wasn't fond of him personally, but someone brought him up, and he was a very good conductor and had a #### of a run with the Garfield Cadets, and that was Richard Armstrong.

Can't forget one of the great MODERN era drum majors of all time, and while I can't ignore the talents of greats like Stuart Schulman or Daemon Williams, the best modern SCV drum major I believe to grace the podium was Mark Irons...BY FAR. There was JUST enough of a flair of the exuberance and enthusiasm he brought from his award-winning high school drum majoring days, but he effectively combined it with the SCV style and mystique...and was richly rewarded as Best DCI Drum Major in 2001, and deservedly so.

But so many people over the years--historically and modern era...just amazing that I'm part of the "fraternity" of drum majors that have come and gone in this crazy ### activity.

That "black gentleman" was "Tommy" Andre Feagin. Worked with my old high school a while back. passionate guy. I wonder if Roderick Sanders is related to the current PR conductor, Darian Sanders? And no, I don't think that because they are both African-American, but it would be cool if they were :)

BTW, Tommy Allen might be on the verge of a neat feat. IIRC, he was the drum major for Lawrence Central when they won their first BOA National Championhip (I know he was there in 2000, someone correct me if I'm wrong about 2001). Now he might be drum major of the Cavaliers, as they win a DCI title.

oh ya ond the french girl from Dutch boy in 88 ..mmmmmmmmm.....

Her name was Nathalie. Can't emember her last name.

Scotty Poulsen, Kilties

Duffy Silk, 27th Lancers old school

Rick South/Mike Zapanta, SCV 70's-80s

Jim Jordan, Bridgemen 70's-1980

Reprazent.

Henson, Saunders, Feagin, Spears

Dude from Bloo in '95 was great.

The Bluecoats DM in 95 was Charles Stewart. The most sel-disciplined person I ever met!